Son Heung-Min @ Bayer 04 Leverkusen 2014-2015 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Chingoo, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  2. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  3. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    nmssis repped this.
  4. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Understandable considering son is a major part of leverkusen's lineup. Looks like son will probably have to tough it out and wait for his chance on 2016 Olympic game if the u23 team qualify. Not a guarantee the u23 team will even qualify since AFC changes the qualification, now we have to finish top three in next yrs u22 AFC championship. And even that is no guarantee either.

Plus leverkusen have to let him play in the Asian cup in January. So as a club point of view, can't let him out on both tourneys

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Its not understandable in that Leverkusen has a financial interest in Son earning exemption and increasing his value.

And its in the KFA's best interest to let one of its top talents increase his utility to NT over long run by earning exemption (and thus play at a higher level longer) and not exercise its priority during AC (which could also be avoided with a conveniently timed leg strain like PCY).

sac517 repped this.
  6. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #6 takeuchi, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    hmm, i thought about it and i think its only partially true. his value increases based on his on-field production first & while there are benefits to Son earning military exemption, they do have key Champions League matches during that period (of which, it is far more lucrative for Leverkusen). anyways, this could also be... while Son is currently our player, he is expected to leave in 1 or 2 years.. thus, it will be a problem for next team.

edit: Son and his agent should have included release for Asian Games in his contract like Kim Jin-Su.

edit #2: it's also moot if he has fixed release clause in his contract.. of which, i think he does if i remember correctly after his 3rd year?

wetcrispy, dudedudedude and sac517 repped this.
  7. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Perhaps. He is a couple contracts away from major impact.

Stressful anyway.

8. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  9. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  11. seoulman9

seoulman9 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    If true, it's a shame we won't have any chance to see him get any first team time, but: 1) probably means he wouldn't have gotten very many minutes, if any, in the first place; and 2) better that he does get some playing time and improve. Sounds to me like a good idea.

12. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    if he is joining EB without Leverkusen exercising the purchase option, his Leverkusen career is probably over. consistent min with EB isn't guaranteed for him but at least he will be under a good manager.

edit: ah, and the korean who was with EB II last season is gone too.

13. seoulman9

seoulman9 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    That's a really good point. Hadn't thought of that. Ah well, we knew it was a bit of a long shot. I really wish the best for this guy. I'll never forget that shot he had in the U-whatever world cup.

14. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'd not write anything off. Had things not gotten sour with Sam, perhaps Ryu would have been loaned out earlier. And I also expect that even if he's part of Leverkusen's plan, they will wait until final days to exercise just because it makes financial sense to do so (e.g. if Ryu were to have major injury or completely suck) and there's no risk to them doing so.

seoulman9 repped this.
  15. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what financial sense except he might be cheap & possibly to be sold later on for small profit to other bundesliga clubs (even in this case, it didn't happen for Usami at Munich)?

16. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There's no reason to exercise early and they risk nothing by waiting. They only gain by waiting to see if Ryu gets hurt or not and see how he does playing regularly.

17. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

ahh, right. read the statement too quick and I thought you meant Leverkusen will purchase Ryu because it makes sense financially.

anyways, we'll see. the red card & robbie kruse staying at Leverkusen hurt his chance imo... while he scored, he wasn't impressive in the pre-season friendlies.

18. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think getting minutes would have been a tough go w/o Kruse leaving and Son going to AG anyway. And Bellarabi coming on and doing well enough made it even more probable.

Frankly, as I stated in the first place, would have been far better to have gone to Dortmund and be in 2nd year of development having played regularly in 1st yr, rather than where he is now. Would have risked 1 yr of k-league ban (which would be a low probability event of having impact as he probably still could get german options)

Chingoo repped this.
  19. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It will be interesting. Eintracht Braunschweig have a strong squad for Bundesliga 2 (they play attractive football too) & they are certainly one of the favorites to get promoted. If RSW can find consistent playing time & do well, it's possible EB themselves could ask for a loan extension from RSW's K-league club.

20. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Rename thread and new thread plz

21. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    wait until it is official. anyways, he might make an appearance in DFB cup tomorrow

22. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I was worried when I saw that CL playoff would be on the zombie that is Fox Soccer Channel Plus. But it turns out that it will be on Fox Sports local channels too (e.g. FSSW).

23. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    So Leverkusen and Eintracht Braunschweig might essentially swap Bellarabi and RSW. Doesn't sound too bad actually.

24. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    SHM participated, obviously.

25. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    1:37 cute CR7 stance