Some thoughts around the current situation - and future

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bauser, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Found this article on "This is Anfield" website:
    http://www.thisisanfield.com/columnists0304.php?id=00000027

Some pieces of it...

Just to repeat what the author wrote at the top: What is it that makes you believe that this man is going to take Liverpool any further? Are there any positive signs at all of a team growing towards something bigger with the current crop of players?

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Alan Edge article from last season

Like some Spring tide that has forgotten how to ebb, the criticism aimed at Gerard Houllier simply does not let up.

What began as a mere disgruntled ripple just over two years ago with the castigation by the ‘purists’ of our manager’s opting for defensive rather than offensive robustness against Barcelona in the Nou Camp, is now a tsunami. That’s the far east not the north east variation by the way. It is one that threatens to completely swamp ‘the Frenchman’.
    What was once the lonely cry of the odd malcontent on the websites and phone-ins would seem this season to have become the voice of a swathe of ‘Liverpudlians’. I use the term in its loosest sense. Anti-Houllierites are now openly vicious and sweeping in their hostile condemnation of our manager’s ability to manage our football club. They may still be a minority. Nevertheless they are an extremely vocal one and appear to be increasing daily in direct proportion to the vitriol and scorn aimed in Houllier’s direction.

The upshot is the huge bank of floating voters often find themselves nodding in rueful acceptance as the tirade of abuse aimed at their manager appears to ring out – on the face of things – convincing home truths. Meanwhile, the pro-Houllierites flounder in some apparently vain attempt to find higher moral ground whence they can reconstruct their idealist levees against the rising waters of the prevailing populist tide.

What concerns me in all this is the philosophy behind such a steadfast mindset which clings so doggedly to Houllier’s undoubted shortcomings – yes the man is human – whilst wantonly dismissing his proven strengths. It seems an agenda has been established and refuses to budge.

I find myself besieged by a range of emotions.

Sure I see management mistakes being made. One would have to be blind or stupid not to have, though I do not propose here to bore you with them once again as they have already been wheeled out ad infinitum by all and sundry. Saints – and sinners alike. I would just ask just one question in this regard – are mistakes not simply part and parcel of football itself? Both on – and off – the pitch?

No, I’ll tell you what galls far more than any Houllier aberration or infamous verbal gaffe. It is the sheer volume of bland blind and ultimately destructive criticism finally winning out against its more considered counterpart. The age of the internet and phone-in experts and their panacea hypotheses on all things football management is upon us. From Western-Super-Mare to Western Samoa these football sages have taken over the asylum. Once we just had Len Griffiths from Oxton to contend with. Now we have an entire militia.

Meantime, fickleness is ousting faithfulness with a vengeance that is chilling. The demand for instant gratification has rendered patience the ox-bow lake of the new Millennium football fan. Small wonder the mindset of the witchhunt is the one that prevails and spurns any claims for saving graces.

Little wonder amidst such parsimony of spirit and objectivity that for the first time in my own living memory Reds are finding themselves set against Reds. In forty seven years following my team I have never encountered anything remotely like this.

My own Liverpudlian education was what used to be considered orthodox. I was reared on the Boy’s Pen, then on The Kop and latterly have taken my place in the stands. I’m afraid haemorrhoids tend to have such adverse effects on you. The overriding doctrine that was bred into me during my formative years – by word, by example and by observation – was loyalty to your team, the club, its players and its manager. Cut one and the rest bled.

The fans of many clubs carried similar ideals of undying loyalty. Liverpool’s, however, were as lofty as any around. Older Evertonians will know what I mean in that respect. The fact was, a Liverpudlian was there to be counted through the proverbial thick and thin.

It seems such an ethos may now be becoming outmoded.

The seasons from 1966-67 through to 1971-72 – six in all – saw the team of Bill Shankly struggling to make an impact domestically or in Europe. Solitary League and FA Cup runners-up spots were all Shanks had to show for his management efforts during those years. Whilst there were distinct highlights during this period such as the 5-0 rout of Leeds, the 3-0 victory at Goodison and Alun Evans’s demolition of Bayern, at times the performances could be pretty unconvincing to say the least and the era was characterised by prevailing feeling of frustration at ‘our’ inability to recreate the recent glories of the mid-sixties.

Fact was, it was only when the magnificent and nigh unplayable rip-rapping style of Kevin Keegan miraculously lit our touch paper at the start of the 1972-73 season that we were suddenly transformed; graced once more by a team and a manager able to bridge the enormous gap between also-rans and true greatness.

I highlight this period not so much for the footballing comparisons with today’s Liverpool – indeed, they are remarkably similar except ironically today’s crop is far more successful and possesses more potential – but rather to contrast the response of the Liverpool fans of these respective eras to what was confronting them.

Today, we see a broad section of our fan base that simply refuses to tolerate anything less than a re-creation of the enterprising football and success of the teams of yesteryear – or should I say, rather, the received ‘perception’ via selected video and DVD clips of a constant stream of nigh perfection that seems to have implanted itself so firmly in the minds of so many fans.

In sobering contrast in the late sixties what we had was a fan-base that simply supported whatever Shanks and his largely uninspired team were able to serve up. They trusted their manager and his decisions no matter that for six successive seasons his management and the players performances continually fell short of the standards the fans desired. Sure there were moans and groans but on the whole the crowd knew instinctively their role in the proceedings.

As if to underline this role, the final home game of each of those barren seasons would take a particular pattern. It was one that was peculiar to Anfield.

As the final whistle would blow on yet another empty year and the despondent players would troop off, the entire middle section of The Kop would sweep in their many thousands towards the Lake Street exit and swarm into the Main Stand car park. There we would encamp ourselves and – with an exhuberance to replicate that of victors – sing the praises of our manager and our team until they showed themselves to receive our adulation.

In effect, we made them feel like winners even though they never were.

In 1973 after six years of such unmerited acclaim the team and manager finally rewarded the fantastic loyalty of those fans with an unprecedented League and EUFA cup double. The harvest was rich. The ensuing communion all the more intense for the loyalties that had been pledged and the ties that had been bound.

From what I read and hear I very much doubt whether such rich reward is being earned just now by many Liverpool fans beyond those magnificent ‘away’ diehards.

At the start of last season, Gerard Houllier would have cast his eyes over his playing squad. It contained a spine of at least five world rated stars of – it seemed – unquestionable pedigree – Dudek, Hyypia, Henchoz, Gerrard and Owen. It was a core talented enough to underpin a serious campaign on the major fronts. Behind them came a host of either established or rising international or Premiership class players of varying yet proven calibre that seemed eminently capable of supplementing the spine core in such an ambitious campaign – Kirkland, Hamman, Heskey, Smicer, Riise, Murphy, Baros, Carragher.

On the fringe were at least another dozen performers including summer signings, promising youngsters, ageing stars and injury returnees that for their part might perhaps provide invaluable replacements or injection of marginal ingredients at times so vital for any meaningful honours challenge. The squad did thirst for some ingenuity and craft yet, if not quite Arsenal or Man United calibre, the portents were promising at the very least. On the back of a Premiership runners-up spot it was certainly not overly presumptuous to assume the season held possibilities for the squad assembled given the odd tweak here and there.

What actually transpired is still to be fully digested. Suffice to say at this juncture that no football manager in history could have foreseen what was to overtake Gerard Houllier’s team, namely the collapse from anything like acceptable form of four of his top class spine of five – Henchoz being the sole exception to the trend – nor the corresponding struggles of so many of his second line of first teamers.

The team’s bright start – results-wise rather than performance-wise I hasten to add – masked a dearth of acceptable performance right through the team. With the exception of the aforementioned Henchoz, Carragher, Murphy and Baros – when he was played – the malaise became universal. The inevitable collapse soon materialised. When players are simply not performing it matters very little what tactical innovations a manager deploys. Anyone who has played football at any competitive level will know that even if just a few of your best players are not doing it then any team has got pretty grave problems. When you’re talking of virtually an entire team you can simply forget about any notions of success.

The upshot is that for virtually six months of this season Gerard Houllier has had to contend with the nucleus of his team playing like carthorses, donkeys and/or nervous wrecks. In most instances the reasons behind such form dips would seem to have been outside of the manager’s control. Despite this – and a degree of loyalty to his non-performers that even the most diehard fan can only dream of – he has lifted a cup and somehow has us still in outside contention for a Champions League position.

What Houllier has achieved amidst such adversity and playing paucity is, frankly, rather more than commendable. Rather than being slated for our virtual disintegration it is clear to anybody not harbouring a secret agenda of dislike for the Frenchman that Gerard Houllier is, in fact, deserving of our gratitude for managing somehow to restore a modicum of respectability and equilibrium to a bunch of players and a team that for all intents and purposes was shot to pieces by a collective mental and functional breakdown.

For those of you who still doubt the validity of Houllier’s achievement in this regard, I present you with this hypothetical scenario.

Imagine Bob Paisley in the late seventies/early eighties faced with a sustained loss of form from four of his five world class performers – Clemence or Grobbelaar, Hansen, Souness and Dalglish. Imagine further that Ray Kennedy, Phil Neal and Terry MacDermott also decided to go on a similar lengthy form sabbatical.

I put it to you that even the infallible Bob Paisley might well have struggled to cope with such a situation. I also feel he might well have struggled in any post-match dialogue to put together some cogent explanations for what was taking place without appearing like the befuddled skipper of some rudderless ship. I put it to you also that the history of Liverpool Football Club would be significantly less starry-eyed than it is now. Finally, I put it to you that we would have a significantly pruned-down following of glory-hunting fickle bastards that masquerade as supporters than we do currently.

We have witnessed a quite radical revamping of shall we say the ‘fat cat/soft underbelly’ regime that had gripped the entire club in the years preceeding his accession. The results of his tenure to date have not been without their downsides and their pitfalls. He will be the first to admit privately I’m sure that our football so far during his reign has hardly set the world alight.

Nevertheless, it is still early days for such a long term overhaul and whilst steering the club towards those elusive twin pinnacles of success and attractive football, Houllier has managed to sneak four major – if not THE major – trophies.

When viewed in such context it is churlish in the extreme to even remotely castigate such a man.

Newspaper and media hacks, including nowadays many ex-Reds, are fond of using the majesty of past Liverpool teams as some stick of righteous indignation with which to beat the manager and his cautious approach. Nothing like the sublime style and panache of old, runs the gist.

Well, as someone who has devoured every single newspaper report on every major game in which Liverpool Football Club have been involved over these past forty years let me provide some real home truths. Let me assure both the hacks and ex-players – together with any fans who might be tempted to buy such shite – that nothing has changed in all those years. This club never received its rightful acclaim back then. Just as now, the media back then saw its role as being to put down Liverpool or its incumbent manager. The detail may have changed but the story remains the same. Paranoia this is not. Factual it is.

The difference to now, of course, was that back then everyone Red was in it together. Like one huge Red family, Liverpudlians from the lowliest to the most exulted presented a united front. Some might indeed refer to it as a siege mentality. Whatever, the principle was similar to that which has had to serve the city of Liverpool itself in time of its own copious adversities. The words of the spendidly defiant ‘The Reds are coming up the hill’ define the attitude perfectly –

‘They all laugh at us,
    They all mock at us ,
    ‘ They all say our days are numbered,
    ‘ Born to be a Scouser…

And today?

Well, I have to say I am ashamed of those Reds who join in with this insidious undermining of the current set-up. Imperfect it may be. Misguided, too, at times. Yet, above everything else, it is as committed to the Red cause as staunchly and as tenaciously as any Red has ever been. And that is what counts more than anything else.

Those who are currently running Liverpool Football Club love this club as much as any of us. Eventually by trial and error and by everybody pulling in one direction – down that path first trodden by Shankly and Paisley – this club may well get back to the position in football that it so craves and once occupied before tragedy contrived to snatch it away. There can be no assurances. Any that have been given are but empty words because life – and football – do not and cannot work like that. Nevertheless, it is only by continuity, loyalty and uniting behind capable people committed to a cause that you ever stand a chance of achieving anything.

Those Reds currently brandishing the callous words of the media to degrade the capabilities and achievements of the current regime should think rather more deeply about the ethos to which they are allying themselves for it has nothing whatsoever to do with Liverpool Football Club or being a Liverpudlian. Of that I can assure them.

3. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Wow, that's some rough stuff from a clearly pissed off individual.

EDIT after KC's post...

So what we have here is good ol' day syndrome versus low attention span syndrome. It's easy to point the finger at both sides. I understand the first guy is being a bit rough, but it's hard to argue with most of what he's saying. I also don't want to take anything away from the second fella b/c it makes for a great story that'll bring a tear to the eye and make you stand attention to the flag, but the fact is you cannot compare football nowadays to football then. It's a different game, a different culture, a different everything. There's a good chance that Houllier will one day make this a world class team that will win league and European titles, but how long do wait, especially after we came so close?? At what point do you say, "thanks for everything, you've done a great job. But this fella will take over b/c I don't think you can bring us any further than you have"?

4. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Alan Edge article from last season

I was waiting for you to vent with something like this. Hats off to you.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. The only difference between now and, say, last January is that there is much more . . . noise. Noise on phone-in shows, noise on bulletin boards. I've noticed noise in here from people who haven't posted in months.

This could be the exact same group of people calling for GH's head last winter, who smell blood in the water and are now howling rather than babbling. It could be that many who jumped on board the LFC train in the last few years see our team facing a solid mid-table season rather than a season dueling amongst the England and European elite, and they are panicking (or reconsidering their fanhood - don't let the door hit you in the ass).

Either way, all we can measure is that there is more noise. We aren't exactly sure of the source. If we turn this boat around in the next couple weeks, no harm, no foul. If we lose to the blues, or have another few mediocre results in front of us, then the BBC will start leading every LFC story with "Under fire manager GH spoke out today on . . ." Once the media get their teeth into this, I'm not sure if the story will ever go away.

What ever happened to just sending our boys out and watching them do the best they can?

5. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kopite, thanks for the bracing tonic. We've 35 games to go, and time will tell how successful the team will be. I've criticized our inability to break down a bunkered defense but not the players or the manager. As you rightly point out, it's up to the men on the field to make the game -- no matter the tactics. I'm encouraged by the reports of attacking football that failed to finish against Spurs. Front runners and glory hunters need not apply.

You were born to this team and many of us made the choice from afar but I, for one, didn't do so simply to pick a winner. There is a spirit and a culture to Liverpool Football Club that is exemplified in the Kop and the songs that are sung. That's what won my loyalty. To a club that came through Hillsborough and Heysel, a few defeats, or ties, should not cause us to fall apart.

YNWA

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just to clarify Alan Edge wrote this, not me. That's indicated at the top of the post.

I agree with all he says though.

Instant gloryhunters can bugger off.

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad, too early in the AM.

8. Snackbar

Snackbar New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Alachua, FL
    Some great reading on this thread. Living in NY for over 10 years, I watched this sort of buildup happen time and time again with the various sports clubs in the city, but at a much accelerated rate. It is a sign of the changed times, high expectations coupled with a low patience threshold.

And the current struggles of this team are nothing compared to my other passion. For all you fellow Yanks who follow American College Football, Vanderbilt is not someone you would follow for 30 years if you were seeking glory(One winning season since 1980). I mean, you can already sign us up for our first loss of the season tomorrow, no question. But I'll still watch and listen, hoping we can someday find the right players and coach to turn this around. In other words, no glory hunter here.

I'm patient enough to wait and see. The Tottenham highlights did show me that we are at least on the verge of scoring (lol). I AM questioning some of Houllier's decisions, because I feel this team does have the personnel to win, yet hasn't so far this season. I would rather see more of an attacking game, but again, perhaps this is all a ruse, and the butt-kicking begins tomorrow.

9. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kopite - Nice post, but the one thing it misses is that the fans of the 60's and 70's had no outlet for their frustrations with the team, coach, etc. There were no radio call-in shows, no internet chat boards. Only the local barbershop, pub, etc., where their complaints would fall on sympathetic ears, but would not get distributed beyond that point. Do you really believe that no one was disappointed with 'Shanks' during that poor stretch in the late 60's? Fact is, Anfield will always fill with enthusiastic fans, who will cheer and sing for their team during the game. But now, the more disgruntled or simply the loudmouths (remember - the people who actually cal-in or post on these boards are in the distinct minority of fans) have an outlet that gives them a much wider audience than ever before.

BTW, Gerard has until the break, if we're still playing unimaginative middle of the table football, "off wid 'is 'ead." ;^)

10. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    The only thing noone is mentioning is that we are NOT watching the boys do their best. We're watching a great set of players underachieve because they're playing either out of position and/or with a group of inexperienced youngsters that the manager brought in. I'm a Liverpool fan, and if I thought we were watching the best players our club can afford , and that they were playing good entertaining football to the best of their ability, then most people would shut up. Everyone thinks people are complaining simply because we are not winning, but I get the feeling that most people are complaining because we could be and should be winning with the resources this club has. It's not glory hunting to want your team to play to the best of it's abilities, something LFC is NOT doing.

11. Scouse

Scouse New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Manchester
    you can go on about your players underperforming all you want but it's the manager's job to get the best out of them. something must be wrong somewhere along the line; blame must ultimately lie at houllier's door.

having said that, i hope you keep ole frenchie :p

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    as the yanks like to say, "scoreboard"

*cough*3-nil*cough*

13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    When you read the "H must go" ranting you have to realize all the ranting is done by the one person who started the thread and made it his personal bitch forum. With a name like MRO he just has to be someones sock puppet.
    His main supporter is a sorry, bitter and twisted bluenose who feels that by making stupid mean comments about the reds instead of supporting his own team it'll gain him some credibility.
    And the third is one that really does bring on a smile. from another of the underachievers, the good Dr. Wish you wouldn't keep giving MRO fresh ammo.!

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    An interesting perspective, given that by common consensus one of Houllier's most consistent achievements has been maximising the potential of players that the uninitiated would perhaps not expect much from. A young Steven Gerrard, for instance. An injury-prone, 'one-dimensional' Micheal Owen, for example. A more-or-less written-off Danny Murphy, an unknown Sami Hyypia, the journeyman Swiss Rover and, for one all too fleeting period, the lumbering Heskey (24 goals in 37 starts during 2001). Where Houllier has equally consistently been critizised (and with just cause) is his inability to do much with established players, known quantities like Litmanen, Barmby and Anelka.

So that's an inconclusive (ill-informed?) perspective of yours.

As to the rest of this thread, one can only defer to Edgy. The plethora of outlets for loud-mouthed, uncommitted, jaundiced and unintelligent wannabes that the modern world affords the football 'fan' is a red herring - the nature of support is not subject to technology, it is subject to a common sense of identity, history and purpose. The ultimate irony in all of this is that it is precisely because there exists so much media that the prevailing lack of perspective, knowledge and humility is so very depressing.

There was a time - and it is a recent time - when the Liverpool fan would tell himself and the world that he belonged to a body of devotees that counted amongst the most knowledgeable, objective and measured in the football world. The people for whom witless ranting and acerbic, ad hominem attacks on players or management is a first recourse would do well to remember that the next time they blather on about the proud traditions of this club that they, apparently, see imperilled.

Time to do what Liverpool fans have always done - hold our nerve, unite and support.