Some really good play happening in MLS this season

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MightyMouse, May 1, 2011.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just want to say that the majority of the games in MLS have really ramped up into exciting action and the passing some of the teams are putting together are Premiership quality. I've seen some through balls from midfielders to forwards, slicing through defenders, that have not happened much in previous seasons at all. I've seen more long range bombs being attempted than any other season before, and quite a few are on target, not like in years past where they would simply sail over the goal for an imaginary field goal. I've seen give and go's that rival any Mexican FMF action and they have resulted in good attacks.

The intensity of these games have reached new heights. We've got real nail biting out there as some games come down to the wire. I believe the intensity got too far with the Zakuani incident but it just goes to show that players are going for it, be it bad or good. MLS has certainly made some very intelligent signings on recent players, I am impressed with the results, it has definitely helped the league overall.

Highlight after highlights on MLS's website you see quality attacks, highlight being quality, and it is still relatively early in the season. Years past it took time for such action to become consistent, come to think of it, most teams are firing away as if shot out of cannons this season. Of course the additions of Portland and Vancouver have been nothing short of amazing but certainly steps in the right direction.

Signs of live returning to Columbus? Maybe the bad weather and cold were keeping a few away at first? It looks like every market will eventually be at least average on their attendance eventually. I think every team will eventually have bigger crowds as the summer kicks in. The health of MLS seems on the upswing bigtime and if it were not for the crap economy I am sure we'd really see something special happening!

Now if only New England and DC would only get their new homes going... oh and Chivas need to get out of the Galaxy's place.

2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    You obviously haven't been watching the San Jose games. :(

3. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there has been a significant upswing the level of play in the last couple of years across the league.

Its interesting to hear NYRB's Luke Rodgers recent comments about the level of play in MLS. Granted Rodgers came from the lower divisions of English Football, but he is very aware of the relative standards among the different leagues.

Bottom line he is very impressed with the level of play that compares favorably with team's in the EPL. He notes the quality of players in the League, their skill and athleticism. He also talks about the professional manner in which MLS operates.

4. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link? Is that on the RB website?

5. gears

gears Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBNY has a couple guys with EPL experience (Tainio, Henry), others that could probably compete there at some point (Marquez, Ream, etc. and of course the better Rooney) so Rodgers thinks they could compete in the league.

Don't watch a lot of EPL, so I can't say if he's got Red-tinted goggles or not.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/soccer/red_bulls_back_in_st_DbMQoDOsncMTnmLLWpw8oK

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of factors, but here are the ones I've noticed:

1. Fans. There were terrific crowds this weekend in Philly, Portland, Seattle, New York, Houston, and (presumably) Dallas. Even where the crowds are smaller, supporters in Columbus and Colorado really add a lot the games. I am sure the intense fan support helps propel the players to give more.

2. Roster quality. Its like a combination of things here - increased roster size, GA players, more DPs, reserve squads - but I really think there is more overall depth in MLS rosters. I had thought for the most part that MLS clubs typically had between 3 and 12 really solid players. I think these numbers are much higher on both ends.

3. Coaching. For a long time it seemed that only American coaches could have success in MLS. I see a lot more foriegn coaches making a mark in MLS. I think the quality of coaching is really improving in the MLS.

7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Or Toronto.

8. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, the crowds have been quite good, even for early season (which quite often can be horrible like the case in early Columbus). This bodes REALLY well for the rest of the season when the crowds trend to pick up more closer to summer and down the playoff run. Indeed MLS teams have stacked up on decent talent which is why we are suddenly seeing top quality passing and shots in most games. I dare say many of the MLS games are of Premiership quality and it seems to be very consistent this season so far. Also think your point about the coaching is good, Backe is a solid foreign coach who really has the Red Bulls prepared for bigger and greater things.

9. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exhibit A:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy0IvOccQEk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy0IvOccQEk[/ame]

10. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wonder what would it be like when they play each other.

11. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just say it was so bad the ultras refused to watch it. ;)

12. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking at the benches of Portland and Real Salt Lake on Saturday and thought to myself "I've seen almost all of those players contribute quality minutes in MLS". I've never thought anything like that before, especially with an expansion team involved.

One thing that we are seeing more and more of are the young foreigners coming to MLS as compared to the veteran foreign players who are usually just brought in to put asses in seats. Ferreira, Montero, Chara and Castillo from Colombia come to mind. THIS is the main reason MLS is improving while expanding IMO. You're always going to find some quality in an expansion draft, it's just that you don't usually find a whole lot. Having the entire world open for a FA search does indeed help an expansion team like Portland.