Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Might just be the whole setup (financing doesn't really move the needle for me) but I've nothing else to do this summer so I might invest in it. (Pun intended).

NORML repped this.
  2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait the host for the Great British Bake of is old Greg?

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You watched DS9 through before, right? Like 5 or 6 years ago....

That Aron Eisenberg bit was hilarious as well as the bit about Colm Meany. But I'd already forgotten them, which again is proof that this show just didn't resonate with me.

My all time fave behind the scenes anecdote for the show, though came from the Take Me Out to the Holosuite episode, where they have the baseball game vs the Vulcans. Of course, seeing Avery Brooks beating himself on the chest with a baseball bat alone is pretty great, but I loved this story about Max Grodenchik. Apparently he was a very good baseball player, like he was actually in the minor leagues. And apparently it was impossible for him to suck. Until they made him throw and bat as a lefty.....

And that's part of the strength of DS9. We care about Rom. And Garak and Dukat and Kai Winn and Zek and Nog and Vic and and and....Just an astoundingly deep and rich ensemble. And over 7 seasons. We may never see another show like it again, because if any show goes that long, it'll follow the Sopranos / Wire model of killing off key players just so you can see just how edgy/dark the show is.

I do wish What We Left Behind had interviewed Morn. After seven years, we all would have liked to actually hear from him.

NORML, Dante, spejic and 2 others repped this.
  4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The main difference was these characters all changed and grew during those years. There's plenty of science fiction I love, but Kirk and Picard and Sheridan and O'Neill and all their crews are mostly unchanged from the first episode to the last while everyone on DS9 is fundamentally a different person and that makes it something special.

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NORML, sitruc, Belgian guy and 1 other person repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    When I first heard about this yesterday I assumed it was a rerun. I didn't realize that show was still making new episodes. It was obvious that character was gay more than 20 years ago.

7. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That link implies that it's not a done deal, only that they're discussing it.

The underlying theme of the show, of course, was that old people were stupid dumb idiots who always make the wrong decision if given half a chance. It would be fitting if, now that they're all old, they decide to go forward with the show and it's terrible.

NORML repped this.
  9. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That seems to be the thrust of this article:

The Blackadder Reboot Sounds Like A Stale Sitcom For Boomers (Cracked.com)

which I can't say doesn't have a valid point no matter how much I love Blackadder in all its guises.

NORML repped this.
  10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I hadn't thought I'd like GLOW season three as much as I did.

It might actually be the best of the three seasons? I hadn't watched it immediately after it dropped because I was kind of lukewarm in terms of my excitement for it but season three has left me really excited and curious for a season four.

Also, I think they benefited from making the story-lines far less Ruth and Debbie centric this year.

NORML and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    For me, season 1 will always be the BEST. Season 3 felt underwhelming considering how good season 2 was. Though, I did like they focused less on Ruth/Debbie but we got very little of Cherry, Sam and Carmen.

NORML repped this.
  12. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I'm not interested in "Friends," but I will say Long Live! to home video -- as this news item proves. Nothing like having things right on the shelf to pull out and pop in whenever you want. (This goes for music CDs as well.)

As 'Friends' Takes Break From Streaming, DVD & Digital Sales Soar
    - Variety
    https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/friends-netflix-streaming-hbo-max-dvd-digital-sales-1203506810/
    They’re on a streaming break — but “Friends” will still be there for you. WarnerMedia’s home entertainment division is aiming to capitalize on the brief disappearance of the hit sitcom from streaming video on demand, as fans look for other ways to get their “Friends” fix.

Repeats of the wildly popular laffer, which ran for 10 seasons on NBC, were anecdotally among the most-binged shows on Netflix before the series left the streaming service at the end of 2019. Soon, it will be one of the centerpieces of WarnerMedia’s HBO Max service, when that streamer launches in May. Meanwhile, the only way to binge multiple episodes at once (and commercial-free) is via DVD, Blu-ray or digital download.

The streaming hiatus already appears to be paying off for Warner Bros. Home Entertainment: According to senior vice president of TV marketing Rosemary Markson, sales of both physical and digital copies of “Friends” have “roughly tripled” since it was announced last year that the show would be exiting Netflix.

Data from retail tracking service NPD VideoScan reveals that after the announcements that “Friends” and “The Office” would disappear from Netflix (the latter series at the end of 2020) and move to streaming sites HBO Max and Peacock, respectively, disc sales for both complete series skyrocketed: Physical sales spiked in July and remained high through the end of the year.

The only way to guarantee evergreen access to content is through ownership, and that message needs to be reinforced to the public,” says Kathi Chandler-Payatt, executive director for the media entertainment practice at The NPD Group. “Although platform-owned titles may or will be held back for exhibition on the distributor’s platform, and audiences may know where to find the content, there’s no guarantee that the content will always be available.”

NORML and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just finished 14 days of self-isolation. Tiger King made me feel so much better about the state of my life.
    I nicked this from someone on FB tiger king.jpg

14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only accurate graph around rn

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy, this is the first good news I've had during Covid:

sitruc repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second season of "What We Do In The Shadows" has been as great as the first one. Mark Hamill as "Vampire Jim" was pretty funny in this week's episode, and other guest stars this season have complemented the show well (Benedict Wong as a scatting necromancer, Craig Robinson as a vampire hunter, and Haley Joel Osment as the worst familiar ever).

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It has taken some time, but Penny Dreadful: City of Angels has really grown on me.

The interesting thing, I'm least interested in the supernatural aspect of it. Most into the cops' story-line. Nathan Lane and Daniel Zovatto have good on-screen chemistry. And Rory Kinnear is almost as good here as he was as the Monster in the original Penny Dreadful.

NORML and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I saw the first episode on its debut but gave up. Has it improved in later episodes?

Belgian guy repped this.
  19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think it has. But the weakest link is still the Santa Muerte story line. Not the actors in those subplots, who are all more than fine. Though I still think Natalie Dormer is a very poor man's version of Eva Green. Admittedly Green put the bar pretty high.

NER_MCFC and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My thoughts on HBO's new Perry Mason series:

[​IMG]

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Apart from a good cast, very nice production design and a few interesting episodes, I thought Lovecraft Country was a bit of a letdown? It took wild swings but I would argue it missed a lot more than it hit? Certainly the show it has been most compared to, HBO's recent Watchmen adaptation, was considerably better (and somehow shared some of the same themes).

LouisianaViking07/09, NORML and spejic repped this.
  22. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If "The Queens Gambit" was based on a true story the buzz around it would be deafening.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    season 5 of The Expanse begins in 6 or so weeks

The Crown season 4 drops in November. I honestly never expected to enjoy it butt I have. It's so good.

NORML repped this.
  24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm enjoying Fargo Season 4 so far -- despite how fascinatingly awful an actor Chris Rock is.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    bruh come on, he did a decent job.