Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adrien Brody was absolutely awful in Peaky Blinders. The worst acting performance I have seen since the 1st grade Thanksgiving celebration in 2016.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what happened to his career? it's like 10 years ago he fall from Oscar glory to a pit of terrible films/performances.

Like the last good thing I saw him was 2010's Predators

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Actors performances depends on a lot of things besides acting. Writters, directors and the editors.

Brody can’t be a leading man he doesn’t have the face for it. Yes he was fantastic in the pianist.

To young for a character actor. Paul Muni was a fantastic actor who had a short career because he had a face you can’t remember.

Jay Carol Nash was a great actor but a short career.

Fredric March was the most versitle actor I every saw in movies. He had something special he could play anyone. He was not that good looking never played the same part twice. But he had something even when he got older he was still remember able.

I think good parts are hard to come by the big names get those parts most others don’t.

Good today a has been tomorrow.

Now you get lucky get a great part in a movie. Also work Tv. Do Theather work even in low budget movies if you like that part.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I think some of it depends on looks. Some on talent. Some on connections. Some on perception (how audiences perceive you). And some on timing. Doing a film on gun violence that sounds preachy may fail in today's political climate or it may succeed. But always about timing.

A component of these things. You have guys like Gyllenhaal or Gosling. 2 very talented actors who usually star in indie films and most of their films tend to flop. But they are well received in the industry and continue to find excellent work. They could be character actors, but as you mentioned about looks, they are able to become bigger stars.

nicklaino repped this.
  5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don’t like what I call real life stories. Because when I go to the movies I want to forget real life because I live in the real life.

I like movies like Mississippi Gambler starting Tyrone Power that was an actor.

I even like to watch Disney Cartons believe it or not.

I thought Armand assante was great in Movies. But he gets bad parts now.

I thought I guy like Joey Cortese would be a star when I saw his first movie. Never happened for him. He would have many a great sonny in The Godfather.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Want to see a good movie see “ A star in born” staring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March. Interesting

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a new series called "Instinct" starring Alan Cumming in a police procedural of sorts. And in its third episode, they essentially plagiarized an episode of "Bones" from several years ago. Lots of news stories about it, but this ten minute comparison from a user on Streamable is pretty interesting. Worth a watch (even a partial one) at https://streamable.com/bo75q.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm sure it's gotten more social media attention from this than from actual views over the last few weeks.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The format made famous by Law and Order had a less successful precedent, a short lived 1963 series called, Arrest and Trial.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056737/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Los Angeles is where Sergeant Nick Anderson and his fellow officers work to keep the streets safe. After the arrest of the accused, attorney John Egan plans their defense, while the prosecution is lead by Jerry Miller.​

Found this out looking up Roger Perry, who plays a detective: He was also Major Christopher on a great Star Trek TOS episode.

sitruc, LouisianaViking07/09 and spejic repped this.
  10. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cable tv dramas are getting better and better. Some of the writing is fantastic I stopped watching regular tv because of the commercials. At my age they put me to sleep. But a lot of things on cable are without commercials. They are shows you can buy that have commercials you can buy them the day after you can see them without the commercials

I just saw the relatively new show Billions that current episode was the best one in the three years the show has been on. Tv today are as good or better then anything you can see in the movies now.

In the old days very few Hollywood actors would do television. Until they got older and needed work.

They just had a musical on tv Jesus Christ Superstar. I could not watch it too many commercials. Plus I saw the original Broadway production the original performers were just better then the ones on the tv show.

What they should have done was run the commercials before the show started and at intermission. It would have been better.

11. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught up on Atlanta during the snowstorm over the weekend, this has got to be one of best half hour shows on tv right now. The episode "Teddy Perkins" is creepy as all get out and wasn't something I was expecting at all from the series. Fantastic show.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    :cool::cool:

I remember Glover was leaving Community halfway through season 5 and I felt it was the worst decision ever. Oh boy, was I wrong. He stated Atlanta would be "Twin Peaks with rappers". Dude has really re-invented the genre of comedy.

sitruc, NORML and Belgian guy repped this.
  13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Dan Harmon had said back when Donald Glover was still a cast member on "Community" that he was the most singularly talented individual he had ever met and that he almost felt like he was holding him back by having him merely as an actor on his show. It seems like he wasn't exaggerating in the slightest.

NORML, sitruc and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Donald Glover will be on Saturday Night Live this Saturday. The musical guest will be Childish Gambino. I'll watch just to see Glover introduce Childish Gambino.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  16. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I love the name of the musical group Childish Gambino got to find them on youtube are they any good?

17. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Beatles they are not. They have a big group behind them, but the Frontman?

18. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't ground breaking, deep, or very innovating but I am loving the new Lost in Space tv series on Netflix for what it is, a good family adventure series. Granted I have never watched the original tv series and gave up quickly on the movie adaptation so maybe that makes it easier for me to enjoy.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm halfway through the second episode and don't think I can plow through the remainder of the series.

It's a checklist of Murphy's Law problems.
    The result of those problems happens without a second to spare.
    The robot's "life debt" is questionable.
    Is it the same robot from the flashback?
    The robot can ONLY utter the classic line from the original series, and so quickly after meeting Will ...
    Don't get me started with Dr. Smith ...

I really like Toby Stephens in Black Sails. Not so much in this.

20. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't argue there are faults that are easily noticeable. But something about it's innocent simplicity really is working for me, plus I'm a sucker for shows where science saves the day. Could be my large fondness is that I can not think of a recent family adventure show that leaned towards more PG than PG-13 that wasn't too syrupy or where each episode tried to convey a message about the importance of family, instead with this show the adventure is given top billing.

I'll agree about Toby's character, I hated him in the beginning too but over the season he has become more than just the gruff military Dad. This isn't me attempting to tell you to keep at it though, if those issues really are bothering ya it won't get any better.

Dills repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Dude, I finished and I almost regret it.

The film was far better.

22. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't catch him on SNL but did catch the video Childish Gambino released during the show and dang is it good.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This video changed everything. It was my Sunday. I see something new every time I watch it.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He was AMAZING on SNL. This dude is a force of Thunder.

Incredible video.

NORML repped this.
  25. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. At first glimpse it seems rather flat, straight forward, simple, and the music a popish attempt at being serious. Dig deeper and there is way more there for both.