Some Random Thoughts About Television... [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by TheSlipperyOne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can you elaborate? I got through like 2 episodes in season 1.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure!

The disappearance of the 2% was a thing that happened that cause people to wonder/despair. How those reactions shook out in people's lives was what the show was about at first. And Nora Durst was awesome!

Now it's about crazy supernatural things. Miracles in Miracle! Where are the people? Is so-and-so invulnerable? Hey, here's a polar bear lion! It's become focused on the least interesting parts of the premise.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They are making a TV series of the Snowpiercer movie. I think it is unlikely that this will result in a good show. Very unlikely.

chad and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That would require slowing down the plot and what made that movie work - for me - was it incessant forward momentum.

chad and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    China Beach, based on the half of the first season we've watched so far, needs be be added to the list.

I was in a play in college with Michael Boatman, who plays morgue supervisor Sam Beckett. When we were in college, he was two years ahead if me. Now, thanks to Hollywood magic, he's three years younger.

He was five years younger in an interview with Jet Magazine in the '90s, but I've somehow managed to close the gap.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh the dude from Spin City

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That's the one Robert Picardo was in pre-Star Trek Voyager, right? Yeah, somehow that was never aired over in Belgium.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In his first appearance in the Pilot, he walks up on a nurse and grabs here ass. He basically sounds like The Doctor in Voyager with his ethical subroutines turned off.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I think I downloaded a few eps of CB a few years ago. It did seem quite ahead of the 80's (when it aired).

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played college soccer with a fellow named Brian Krause. I left for Europe for a couple of years, came back and he was an actor, somehow younger than he was when we played ball together. Then he ended up with his original age later on. It really is magic!

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    And here I thought only actresses fibbed about their ages.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Brian Cranston said something about this in an interview on NPR's Fresh Air program: basically, it was an advantage to come across as young, so in the late 80s, early 90s, he would just leave his earlier appearances off his resumé, and his "breakout" roles would appear to be gigs he got five years after his breakout roles, and voila, he's five years younger. Now, I'm not sure how this would work for Boatman, since his work on China Beach is quite good. On the other hand, makes sense for Cranston to sort of forget early gigs on ChiPs and Airwolf.

Alas, Cranston pointed out to interviewer Terri Gross, along came the internet and sites like IMDB, etc. The internet doesn't forget, and the jobs of publicists got a bit harder, and actors are now a lot closer to their own actual age....

LouisianaViking07/09 and Ismitje repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season two of "People of Earth" starts on the 24th on TBS. We thoroughly enjoyed the first season and are excited to see what is next. Hopefully they can still bring the funny.

14. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    #464 riverplate, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    [​IMG]

'Citizen Kane' TV Reboot Sparks Lawsuit Over RKO Properties
    - N.Y. Daily News
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...boot-claims-rko-foiled-plan-article-1.3355080
    Not even the greatest movie ever made can escape Hollywood's endless remakes. A plan to turn Citizen Kane into a television series failed after the owner of the rights to the classic Orson Welles film backed out of a deal, a new lawsuit charges.

Papers filed in Manhattan Supreme Court Tuesday pit television producer Keith Patterson against Ted Hartley, the 92-year-old former investment banker who owns the rights to RKO Pictures. RKO produced numerous classic films, including Citizen Kane and King Kong, and was once run by Howard Hughes.

Patterson says that last year he pitched Hartley and RKO Vice Chairwoman Mary Beth O'Connor on a series of television projects using a "unique television financing fund." Among the projects: a remake of the 1941 film about an immensely wealthy and lonely newspaper publisher who discovers a downside to the American Dream. "Mr. Patterson would employ his unique production model to create television series based upon the valuable library of films controlled by RKO…including Citizen Kane," the suit reads. They agreed "that the updating of Citizen Kane was an important, long overdue project," according to papers.

The three discussed in detail the logistics, tone, setting and appropriate actors for the series, the suit says, without naming potential stars. The collaboration even yielded the slogan: RKO Television: The Golden Age Starts Now.

15. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The first part will focus on Steve Carell’s iconic role, Michael Scott, and his new life in Colorado with his wife and CHILDREN! The second part will focus on Jim and Pam and their new family life in Austin. The third part will focus on Rainn Wilson’s character, the one and only Dwight Schrute, and his life on his beet farm as well as life in Scranton, PA who now occupies the Office now that so many of the original characters have moved away.

Good. I haven't had to give people directions to the places featured in the opening of the theme song for several months. That's quite a drop off from five years ago.

Alas, the beet farm is actually in California. Though the beets are pretty good around here. Nice bit of detail from the show.

sitruc repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Rainn Wilson is probably happy.

But I do wonder how much they are paying Carrell for this.

18. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Coming soon from Kino Lorber on DVD and BluRay (no official release date set)...

[​IMG]

From 1984. All 13 episodes. Aired on NBC. Guest stars include: Claude Akins, Crystal Bernard, Edd Byrnes, William Campbell, J.D. Cannon, James Gammon, Mark Goddard, Clu Gulager, George Lazenby, George Maharis, Jock Mahoney, Monte Markham, David McCallum, Doug McClure, Bill McKinney, Demi Moore, Diana Muldaur, Dick O’Neill, Soon-Tek Oh, Robert Pine, Jennifer Runyon, William Smith, Stuart Whitman

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Terrible show as I remember it.

21. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    This program was one of the biggest disappointments ever. And to refer to it as a "sci-fi" series is a joke.

Steven Spielberg Will Revive '80s NBC Series 'Amazing Stories' For Apple - L.A. Times
    http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-apple-spielberg-20171010-story.html

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  23. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Yet another try at a new Twilight Zone...

'Twilight Zone' Reboot From Jordan Peele In The Works At CBS All Access - Hollywood Reporter
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-jordan-peele-works-at-cbs-all-access-1050554

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd love to see a modern-day take

25. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If he can pull it off, Jordan Peele just might be the Orson Welles of his generation.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.