Solo/Ryan catch-all thread part 1

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by cloudedmind, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I agree. Huge mistake to combine these threads.

2. Slater

Slater New Member

Re: Hope Issues Statement

Ignorance is bliss. Most logical intelligent people who are not easily brainwashed by the media knew exactly what she was trying to say (probably including Scurry) and not believe attempts by others to take her emotions and passion to win out of context.

If it was me and I had worked my ass off as the starter who helped get the team to that game just to sit out and watch the team lose. I would have gone off way worse. It was an outright insult to Solo on the part of Ryan. A slap in the face. His blazae attitude to the whole thing is a slap in the face to the whole team. No team deserves a coach like that. There is a big difference between management and leadership.

Thank God I am not a professional athlete or else my name would be Dennis Rodman.

3. garnetgold67

garnetgold67 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    "Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real?...Welcome to the desert of the real..." :cool:

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ryan basically trashes Hope today

Who? :rolleyes:

Try Kristine Lilly, 36.

5. CalTechie1

CalTechie1 New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Way to ruin whatever discussion this board was generating. Now I have to waddle through a bunch of postings to find the subject, some of which shouldn't even be grouped in one broad Solo thread, I want to read. :rolleyes:

6. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, I can basically pick out the stuff I've already read based on the subject line.

7. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote of the day from WorldSoccerDaily....

"If we could put some of the testicles of Hope Solo and put them in Landon Donovan we might actually get a great player!"

:D:D:D

8. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    nice going mods.

:rolleyes:

You couldn't have made a bigger mess if you were 6 year olds trying to bake a cake.

But I understand your motives. There are so many other things people want to talk about this Hope Solo thing was taking up valuable board space.

:rolleyes:

9. garnetgold67

garnetgold67 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    I forgot who and what I was angry about!:mad:

10. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Re: Solo/Ryan catch-all thread

First of all, I don't find it out of the ordinary for one keeper to be critical of another in these circumstances. Unprofessional, yes, but not uncommon. If you have two players competing for a spot anywhere else on the field, the manager has the option of trying to convert one of the players to another position. Since you can only start one keeper, this is always going to be a potential powder keg. Especially on teams with two solid keepers. The men's team had problems with this issue at the 2002 WC but in the end Keller thought of team unity over personal gain and Freidel started throughout the Tourney. I think that it was a bad choice on Ryan's part. If both players were match fit and had been playing regularly for club teams, then Bri might be the better option given her history against Brazil. I just think that the option to use her was risky at best. As for Solo's comments, if Bri wants to take them too seriously, then someone needs to remind Bri that she made similar comments when she road the pine at the 2000 Olympics when Mullinix screwed the pooch. B----ing keepers is a reality for all international coaches. If fact, it can be one of their biggest headaches. I don't see Solo getting run off to the wilderness for this one. The coach may be a different story.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I agree Foudy has been evenhanded during the World Cup, but that is part of my problem with her. I don't expect her to go Tiki Barber and blast the team and everybody involved. I would have liked for her to be more consistently vocal though. Most of her interviews and comments in studio haven't been that critical. She is the most critical during the actual games and most people aren't watching the games to build their opinion of what is going on.
    :p
    I'm confused out of my mind what is what in these threads now. Tangental discussion in dead threads is all over the place now. Maybe I should start another thread about Hope since the important discussions are being lost.:rolleyes:

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

The sad thing is... I have.

13. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    you'd mentioned you wanted to debate the real problems of the team...well then, start a non-solo thread.

14. luxor

luxor New Member

Oct 24, 1999
    Your Closet

Argh... the threads are gone. WTF?

UNDO, UNDO!!

15. shelbyg75

shelbyg75 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I can't believe all the threads are gone... Great idea to merge them into a 900+ post blog and kill all the discussions!! Are you a secret member of the USSF???

16. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Where were Foudy and Chastain when Bri was making the same statements about Mullinix after the Olympics loss?

17. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Apologies; we're trying to take care of things...for the time being, please post in the Solo/Ryan catch all part II thread.