Solo/Ryan catch-all thread part 1

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by cloudedmind, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloudedmind

cloudedmind BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 7, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    Just heard on ESPN that Hope Solo's being benched in favor of Brianna Scurry against Brazil on Thursday. But she'll be back in goal for the final if the US wins.

Interesting...

2. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Solo Benched for Semi-Final Against Brazil...

Must be her shoulder. She's been stretching it at times in-game.

I won't be sleeping well tonight. Hopefully Scurry's in form mentally as well as physically. How does a defense gel with a GK who can be questionable with her feet at times, having been previously used to one who was skillful. Please god, not a " '99 Germany match" fluke (gasp)!

3. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado

I thought Scurry should start against Nigeria just in case she was called into action later. US fans need to hope there's no rust.

5. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not an injury for Solo. In an interview with Solo, she's pissed.

6. MazzyStar

MazzyStar New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ

Baffling move. I agree with Foudy and Diccico, wrong move. Why change now?? Baffling.

7. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005

I'm pretty sure this was planned in the event the USA faced Brazil. Bri started against them in June, and she's definitely a better at making quick reaction saves. She can't distribute the ball like Solo and I don't think her overall positioning is as good, but she does bring the amazing saves.

My main concern is rust and the reaction of the rest of the team. Ryan's got balls - people will call for his head if this goes awry.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

I've liked Scurry better in the leadup to the WWC, but I have trouble understanding why make the move now. I can partially understand the move, but if this was the plan why not use Scurry earlier in the tournament?

9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

There is a thread questioning whether the ESPN announcers are on drugs. Perhaps one is needed for Ryan on that topic. The team makes the semifinals with hope that it has developed good chemistry to reach that point. Now he changes keepers? Baffling indeed.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting, very interesting. I've been enmeshed in my real life and haven't checked any soccer news for the last several days. I've missed a bunch, it seems. This move is not the first one of the tournament where Ryan has decided (well in advance) to use players that played (w/ success) against a particular opponent. I remember comments that he'd decided on the starting line-up vs Sweden based on the the players (and tactics) that were successful vs Sweden in Algrave.

I'm not "worried" about Scurry. I just hope Ryan realizes that the Brazil we'll see tomorrow is NOT the Brazil we saw a couple of months ago. A) Marta will play B) Brazil won't be wearing nametags and will connect passes & runs w/ each other.

11. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin

Any link to this interview? I'd like to see it. I'm not questioning you, I'd just like to see the interview. He's the coach and it's his call to make but I'd really like to know his reasoning behind it.

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Here is an AP report ....

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_y...slug=ap-wwcup-us-goalkeeper&prov=ap&type=lgns

Some interesting comments made by Julie Foudy ....

13. assistman

assistman New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Boynton Beach, FL

This is just bizarre. Solo should be pissed. You don't use a keeper for the opening round, and a quarterfinal, then switch for the semifinal. A lot of success that a goalkeeper has is a due to confidence... this could not be good for Hope's confidence. I know Solo hasn't been perfect during this tournament, but, it is just strange. I noticed in the article that the plan was to have Solo return to start the final (if they make it).
    I really don't understand what Coach Ryan is doing. His substitutions have made no sense all tournament, and now this? I think the US needs to bring Tony "the mustache" back.

14. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75

Then Solo should say to Ryan, "You don't want me for the semifinal; then you can do without me for the final, too." I think Solo will quit the NT after this debacle, and then Ryan can use the wrong-side-of-40 Scurry to his heart's content.

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For really the first time in this tournament, I don't think we will win. I still think we "can" win, just not "will" win.

16. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The two interviews I saw were on ESPN WWC Live prior to the GER/NOR match. I'm sure they'll re-show them either at halftime today or pre-game tomorrow.

17. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin

Ah, gotcha! I'm watching the game but I missed the pregame stuff so hopefully I'll see it at halftime. Thanks!

18. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005

Scurry is a tough cookie. Jim Mike must be peeing in his pants right now.

If Ryan had any inkling that he was going to make this move, he should have told Hope, Scurry and the rest of the team before the tournament even started- "Hey, I really like Scurry vs. Brazil, so if we get them, don't be surprised if I go with her." On ESPN, Foudy said the team didn't know until last night, so the decision seems to have caught everyone by surprise.

19. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California

Apparently he talked to Scurry about it before the WC started.

I've supported Ryan so far, but this is unbelievable, and shows a real lack of respect for Solo and the rest of the team. He's comments that Solo's confidence is "not [his] concern" are also really not what I've come to expect from him. I am not impressed.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Both of these statements make sense to me. For Ryan to make a move like this and NOT talk to the team well in advance is quite counter productive to team chemistry. Particularly as it sounds like Solo didn't know and is decidedly unhappy--if her unhappiness is this clear to the press/fans it must be even more clear to the team. A divided team and a team not 100% focused on winning the game and not 100% focused on supporting each other will find winning even more difficult.

Reason #73 that Ryan is either a) over his head b) coaching scared or c) a fool. D) all of the above is also likely.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If true, that is far worse, since he didn't see fit to talk to the rest of the team (or at least Solo) ahead of time. And, yes, Greg, Solo's confidence is your concern. Unbelievable.

22. ajdjad

ajdjad New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Yellow
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Hope's professionalism and team spirit will over come any of her hurt feelings. Give the girl some credit.

23. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75

"He has his reasons."

Now THAT's how to throw your manager under the bus.

*wishes I could give BigSoccer rep to Solo for that remark*

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just out of curiosity, is this course of action how you would have advised Keller in '02? or Brad during that point when (honeymoon or whatever) that he didn't play in some qualifiers (or was it a smaller tourny?) before that? And how did you feel about Big Bad Brad retiring from int'l play after the '02 cup?

25. ZZZenga

ZZZenga Member

Aug 10, 2006
    CT

Here's a quote I found on Goff's blog for the Washington Post

Some other interesting quotes on the Blog