Solo positioning

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Rufusabc, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I have done more solo matches in the last year than in any other year, and I think that trend will continue.

My question is one of positioning.

I find that it is better to be slightly behind the ball, enables me not to have to turn quickly to see the OS line. Also, I try to stay between the posts and when following the action cut either right or left to get my angles.

Any other tips?

dadman repped this.
  2. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    run yer butt off :)

IASocFan, rh89, voiceoflg and 4 others repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Its been a long time since I did solo games (though I sometimes have ARs that make me feel like it's a solo game . . .). But I think the most important thing is flexibility and seeing where the game needs you--and that can vary a lot depending on the age/level of play and the particular dynamics of a game within the level. (And I think you have to mentally accept that your OS calls are limited in accuracy. It's just not possible for the R to be excellent at OS and make the more important calls, too.)

IASocFan repped this.
  4. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I do a TON of U-little solo and run as much as is possible, it' tough with watching the build-out line, but you do what you can.

I know for a fact (adjoining field refs on break told me) that I missed some OOB calls, but with a solo there's only so much perfection you can expect. I'd say just be where you're comfortable in being as long as you're confident you can see everything to the best of your ability.

Can't imagine doing a solo on a regulation sized field.

5. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I do solo games a lot on a regulation sized field, almost all adult. Around here, men's O-40, O-50 and O-58 are all solo, as well as all women's and adult co-ed games.

I will second the idea of recognizing what kind of a game you've got today and then setting priorities. E.g. An adult women's game may only have four to six fouls and all of them will be pretty obvious. BUT there may be a lot of offside decisions, so you have to prioritize offside positioning, at both ends!, over seeing play around the ball. The players will be very happy with your work if they see you are in position to call offside. Men's O-50 is probably going to be just the opposite. Co-ed can be a toss up, depending on how the teams in this game try to play. In co-ed in particular, but in other games as well to some extent, you don't know for sure how to position yourself until you are five or ten minutes into the game. Your mileage will vary.

6. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Literally

voiceoflg, Dayton Ref, Law5 and 2 others repped this.
  7. Cornbred Ref

Cornbred Ref Member

Arsenal
    Jan 3, 2018
    Omaha
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to take a slightly different approach to this than a few others have taken. Our adult men's league around here (Open (18-30) and O-30) is all solo refs. Doing the league for a full season I quickly learned that the league is extremely physical and competitive. A lot of the guys my first few weeks knew I was knew so they wanted me to be literally perfect. After some advice and doing it for awhile, I always have a pre-game with the captains that goes along the lines of telling them that offside will not be a priority and that they need to clearly communicate this to every member of their team. I also stress that dissent about the topic will not be tolerated. Doing this allows me to stay closer to play because this league is sometimes a ticking time bomb that will have a bench clearing brawl in no time. Being able to focus on that has meant way less fights and way less players getting hurt. And the difference is night and day for referees who stress the importance of the play and not offside and the ones who don't.

8. soxfaninny

soxfaninny Member

Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 2, 2018
    NY Hudson Valley
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reviving an old thread..but I have a solo positioning Q.

GU14 yesterday, solo w club lines:
    There was a scramble in front of the goal, ball was directed toward the goal line, defending keeper swats the ball away, seemingly off the line, and defense clears. (Note there was no screaming that the ball crossed the line or anything like that.) I was probably about 3 yards inside the penalty area at that time, and I briefly signaled no goal, and we played on.

After the game, the attacking team's coach came up to me, and (politely) said that his girls told him the ball crossed the line and that it was unfortunate, because it would have tied the game, etc, etc.

So how could I have been more certain about this? I can't be on the goal line for every scramble near the goal, and I was not 100% sure it had crossed the line, not even 75% sure...

Should I have been in a "better" position to make this call?

9. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    I end up doing quite a lot of solo games on full-sized fields (competitive youth, college club and adult leagues). These games are often quite high level, and really should not be solo. I've come to like working on my own in these challenging environments. It's strangely quixotic. I've been on a field doing a U16 boys game by myself while the adjacent small sided field (U11 girls) had 3 referees. What could I do besides shake my head?

My default positioning is still the diagonal. I will put myself on the offside line on free kicks where required, and try and use vicinity to sell decisions. The offside "instinct" will improve over time -- but most of the controversial incidents I've gotten into inevitably stem from offside decisions. If worst comes to worse -- a ghost offside decision is better than a ghost goal.

If the game is high-level enough, I try and stay WELL ahead of play (25-30 yds) during buildup. Starting the game really strong will help build your credibility and trust with players and help you smooth over the occasional OOB decision you are bound to mess up.

10. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    In a solo game, I'll venture as deep as the penalty mark. So maybe you could have been a little closer? Try and get an angled view looking at the goal from an angle closer to the goal line if possible. From there (given the view is not blocked by a bunch of players) you'll have a better chance to determine if the ball crossed the line or not. If it fits your style, maybe try a real BIG and EXTENDED no-goal gesture, or a verbal "Not all the way over!"

In this case, I would recommend sympathizing with the coach. I'd try the following "Coach, unfortunately I'm by myself today. From where I was, with my one view of the play, I couldn't be sure the ball crossed the line completely."

Law5, soxfaninny and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  11. soxfaninny

soxfaninny Member

Hotspur
    United States
    Mar 2, 2018
    NY Hudson Valley
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that's exactly how I played it. "I just couldn't be sure from where I was.."

Thanks

seattlebeach repped this.
  12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don't do solo games, so take with a grain of salt. But the new DB protocols make being in the PA more dangerous, as a ball touching the ref during the attack is most likely to be a turnover to the GK (either because the attacking team loses the ball or a promising attack results). There may be times you have to be in there, but I think the newly created risk means solo refs have to be more cautious of doing so. (And is another reason I'm glad I don't do solo games.)

mathguy ref and Law5 repped this.
  13. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    "And coach, if you want us to have a view from a better angle, maybe if your league paid for certified assistant referees and strongly encouraged every team in the league to get at least one person certified, then we might do a better job."

IASocFan repped this.
  14. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    And I'm not shy about telling the older men, "Guys, you've only got one referee. If you think you'll put people off by a foot or two, you're playing with fire. Sometimes I'll see it and sometimes I can't." That gets heads nodding by the calmer players and silence from the more vocal. And sometimes I'll be more subtle, "VAR said he was on." That will usually gets some snickers. "VAR? Oh, wait...…"

15. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We do solos on our 7v7 adult league. When players get angry over a ball that may or not be over the end line or touch line and I just point at the AR spot and say the AR has it all the way. And some players will get incredibly bent out of shape screaming about a ball that may or not have been over a line. They complain "ref you have to be in better position to see that". Yeah, sure, I will run all the way over across the field to get a look right down a line.

16. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    On the goal-no goal decisions that are tight, I'll point to my watch and say "Goal line technology says no goal".

IASocFan and soxfaninny repped this.
  17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I do lots of solo HS games. I do what I can and call what I see. If I miss a call, too frickin bad - the games below varsity dont count anyway.

18. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    The only solo games I've ever worked have been small-sided friendlies--maybe some 9v9 U11 at the biggest, and I think some U9 7v7 games. But it's been a while since I've had any of those games. Since the fields are so small, I usually just tried to get ahead of the play near the offside line. That way I could call offside if needed and I was still not far from the action.

I cannot imagine trying to solo a game on a full-size field and call offside. I play in a 7v7 coed adult league that uses solo refs, but at least it's a small field and there's no offside.