Sol Officially Folds

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by prowazekii, Jan 28, 2010.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I have heard these blurbs about L.A. as well.
    It was dead quiet on the L.A. front up until a few months ago.
    L.A. is in play now.

2. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would you think of naming the club "Southern California" rather than Los Angeles.

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #178 WPS_Movement, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    SCFC would be fine with me. Southern Cali FC.
    Although I would prefer a logo type of name (i.e. Thorns or Reign, but something different of course tailored for LA). Maybe something to do with the Pacific, sunny LA, or the Hollywood/Entertainment atmosphere.

I'm also okay with the Southern California Maidens, but preferably colors being purple, black, yellow/gold.
    [​IMG]

4. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it...

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, I think the logo definitely has to have a strong appeal to it.
    Please, no young girly type of logo, and certainly no "Gold Pride" logo that Bay Area had a few years ago.
    The Southern California Unicorns (FC) aren't going to sell many tickets. Neither are the LA Ponies.
    The Maidens might (or something similar). Something more FIERCE.

6. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The I think about it the club , if it plays in Orange County needs to carry a name without LA, but with Southern California instead. The best bet for success is going to be in the OC. Let's push for the "Southern California Maidens".

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Sounds good to me. The Galaxy and Maidens, it sorta has that nice feel to it.
    Hopefully the Southern California franchise can get plenty of west coast talent, and former UCLA players, etc.
    But of course, a few good international players as well. "Diverse" talent is important in Southern California.
    Need to maximize attendance among the diverse crowd.

8. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything that can be done to appeal to a diverse audience. By the way I have start a new thread in the Expansion forum aiming to start the conversation.

9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That would be stupid. Just like the "Bay Area Breeze" was.

What the heck is fierce about a word that's a synonym for the word virgin?

sisterluke repped this.
  10. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your most likely not from the OC. We don't want or need anymore teams playing in Orange County carrying a LA name. If the clubs is at Fullerton like presently rumored it needs to carry a name other than LA. Nothing would be better than Southern California.

11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Of course I'm not from the OC. Eww!!!! j/k ;)

Team names containing "Southern California," "Bay Area," "Golden State," or "California" are just too generic a location for me. I'd have no problem if the team played in Fullerton and was called "Fullerton <whatevers>" or if they played in Carson (which I think more likely) and were called the "Carson <whatevers>." But the fact of the matter is this is the Los Angeles Metro Area. Teams want to be called "Los Angeles <whatevers>" for the recognition that the city name provides. Hence the Angels changing their name. I personally was not a fan of their name change, but what can ya do? But no more generic names trying to draw support from areas where the fans live too far away to attend games.

12. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never liked the Angels changing their name to Los Angeles, I always thought they should be known as the California Angels. Latest word has a new NWSL team playing at Titan Stadium in Fullerton, (IN ORANGE COUNTY). So let's agree to disagree and name the club Southern California.

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    You'd rather they had changed back to California Angels rather than stay Anaheim Angels? Really? Well, whatever floats your boat. I guess you think Chivas USA is just fine too, as Carson is part of the USA...

There is no latest word other than your post. LA Blues SC are the front runners to get a NWSL team as far as I can tell, and they moved this season to play most of their games at the StubHub Center (IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY [because apparently we are treating each other as morans - sic intentionally, look it up if you don't get it - who do not know where the county lines are]).

14. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. I guess we know how much you listen to the news, the LA Blues have moved to Irvine and rebranded as Orange County Blues FC playing their games on the UCI campus at Anteater Stadium. Playing at Stubhub Center is a new USL Pro Club, LA Galaxy II, owned by the Galaxy. As for NWSL word has the Los Angeles Strikers and Los Angles Vikings forming a NWSL club playing at CSUF playing in Titan Stadium. You need to check your facts, Moran.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #190 holden, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    More insults! Awesome. I guess I'll continue playing along...

Hmmmm. I guess we know how well you did in reading comprehension in school and how much you pay attention to WoSo news. LA Blues SC is a women's team playing in the W-League formed by the combination of the Pali Blues and the LA Strikers. They are playing all but 2 of their home games at StubHub Center this season. The team includes such notable players as recent USWNT callups Sarah Killion and Katie Stengel, USWNT U-23 members Caprice Dydasco and Abby Dahlkemper, MexWNT U-20 player Tanya Samarzich, and England WNT callup Rachel Daly.

LA Strikers no longer exist (as I pointed out above) and whoever the "Los Angeles Vikings" are, they aren't even playing in the W-League or WPSL. So really, you're the one who needs to check their facts...

16. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok Moran, I was thinking about the USL Pro Men's team know last season as the Los Angeles Blues. As to the Los Angeles Vikings they are currently a professional Women's team. I haven't heard anything about the Pali Blues getting involved in the NWSL.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LA-Vikings/315022808517615

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You realize that the last activity on that page was June 2012, right? Their Twitter went silent in November 2012, and the website listed on their FB and Twitter pages is no longer working. I really don't think there's anything "current" about them, unless there's youth team(s) activity that has no web presence.

Also, before Pali Blues and LA Strikers merged, they had been one of the 12 bids for an NWSL for the inaugural season, so they've wanted to be involved in NWSL from the get-go. The fact that they actually merged this season, will be playing at SHC, and have been associating with CUSA on Twitter highly suggests continued ambitions, though I guess it's perfectly possible they want to remain professional in the W-League.

holden repped this.
  18. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #193 holden, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    I'm guessing by your repeated use of using that term to address me, you don't understand what it was about and didn't get my joke. So, read this: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/get-a-brain-morans And then hopefully you'll understand why it was a joke, and you'll realize that you calling me that just makes you look bad...

That is why I mentioned your lack of reading comprehension. The mens team were known as LA Blues FC. If you had been following WoSo news at all seeing the SC should've made it quite obvious... We've even covered it in this forum multiple times. I even mentioned that the LA Blues FC are now the OC Blues FC. So if you'd even bothered to read this forum at all, you'd see that I'm quite on top of the various Blues situations (I was a Pali Blues season ticket holder. And I am now a LA Blues SC season ticket holder).

No, they were a "professional" women's team. They never played in any league and their facebook page has not been updated since 2012. They're not exactly an active team... LA Blues SC on the other hand just launched a new website, have active twitter and facebook pages, and are playing in the W-League.

Then you've really been out of the loop. The Pali Blues and LA Strikers made a combined bid to be one of the original teams in the NWSL, but were denied as there was no other team in the Southwest region interested in joining. And their tweets have made it clear they still have a desire to join the league. Unfortunately they don't have MLS ownership to force their way in like Houston. Unless a MLS group steps up in LA, they are the only option at this moment.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, that's not accurate: they played two seasons as a professional team in WPSL, though they didn't get much from paying their players - 0.8ppg in 2011 and 0.0ppg in 2012. (Though, to be fair to them, the Pac South is rather stacked, and 2012 only had three other teams in that division. But still, not a great record for a "pro" team in an "amateur" league, no matter how stacked SoCal is.)

20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Hmm... I tried looking at the WPSL website for info on that and all I saw was that they wanted to join the WPSL Elite, but that never happened because it was put on "hiatus" or whatever after the announcement of the NWSL and I also found some other older news item somewhere else saying the Vikings had formed some off season team containing WPS players and wanted to play friendlies against national teams from other countries during the off season (but no confirmation whether those games ever happened). I guess I can't trust the WPSL website for archival info... So my apologies to SteveUSSF_ref8 there.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, the WPSL site has basically 0 archival material aside from some standings - you can find the Vikings there, at least. And yeah, they planned a tournament (it had a thread here in the ProWoSo forums, I'll got searching for it) but, like you said, I don't remember if it actually happened.

22. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sorry I didn't get the joke. But know I understand. Second, thank you the education on the Los Angeles Blues SC. I didn't catch the "SC". Let's all hope that one day we will have a team in the area in the NWSL. I wonder if their would be any serious chance on getting two teams in the area, since location seems to be the issue for getting an LA area team. Maybe their could be one in LA and one in the OC.

23. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I think a North Pacific club tournament might make more sense than a regular league, given the travel times and costs.