Sol Officially Folds

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by prowazekii, Jan 28, 2010.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    hey, that's more or less how barça works (fans holding shares)... but they started in 1899.

the problem is basic. how much money can women's soccer really make? not (nearly) enough to keep a normal modern pro sports business model alive, at least not what the sol tried to do.

5000 seat venues rented from universities, local players, perhaps only regional and not a national league... lowered expectations doesn't necessarily mean lowered love of the game, lowered passion or lowered fun. but it could mean survival.

2. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yep.

3. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already have such a team in Los Angeles it is called Pali Blue
    check out the link to the crazy supporter group..guys this is our team for the moment

http://theshinguardian.com/2010/02/02/the-supporter-series-tony-danza-army/

4. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Pali_Blues

Pali_Blues New Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Dear LA Sol fans,

We here at the Pali Blues were greatly saddened, as no doubt you were, by the discontinued operations of the Los Angeles Sol. As an organization dedicated to the growth of the women’s game and launching professional careers, it is setback for so many of the goals we hold dear.

However, the news also reaffirms our resolve to do whatever it takes to keep our own team playing, winning, and inspiring fans right here in Southern California.

The Pali Blues are back-to-back national champions of the USL W-League – widely regarded as the premiere developmental women’s soccer league in the world – featuring many of the best collegiate and international talents on the planet.

In last month’s WPS College Draft alone the top five selections (Heath, Cheney, O’Hara, Engen and Washington) all played for the Pali Blues in 2009!

Do the Pali Blues want to see the WPS return to So Cal? Absolutely. We also believe that one great step fans can take toward this goal is joining us this summer at the Palisades Stadium-by-the-Sea to prove – especially to potential local investors – that So Cal has will and the resources to support a world-class women’s team.

Our 2010 season will feature a fantastic stadium atmosphere, inspiring charity events, and, as always, world-class players that fans get to meet after every game.

We sincerely hope we will see you at the stadium this summer!

To learn more about the team visit www.bluessoccerclub.com, contact us directly via facebook or email us at info@bluessoccerclub.com

Together we can keep the beacon of women’s soccer burning bright.

6. new voice

new voice New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Rumor has it former SOL player, Christie Shaner, is returning to LA to play for Pali Blues! :cool:
    (chose to further rehab in sunny CA rather that jump back into WPS preseason camps too soon.)

7. indy soccer fan

indy soccer fan New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    FC Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are rumors out of other league offices that the SOL have found an owner and will return in 2011

9. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A senior Freedom staffer told me that they pretty much had an owner to take over, but they couldn't get all the details taken care of soon enough not to impact the looming season.

10. ley82

ley82 New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Sol back in 2011 would be great..... I feel like my girlfriend broke up with me when the Sol left the league. Sooooooo heart broken still.

Anyways, anyone planning on playing WPS fantasy? If so, join the LA Sol Fans League
    http://fantasy.womensprosoccer.com/

11. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    That's a great idea! Put together a Sol team and see how they would do if they still existed.

12. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't really surprise me because I read or heard that the league isn't even considering expansion until 2012

Still though the thought of having a team in southern california again would be nice since I've been "women's soccer going" deprived this season

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I'll be shocked if WPS answers the bell in 2011... so it doesn't surprise me expansion in 2011 is not likely.

14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucks. Plus playing on a campus won't have nearly the prestige that playing at the HDC did.

15. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello Western New York please why not LA

16. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They found an owner willing to support a team in Western New York. Haven't found one (yet) for LA.

17. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got an interesting interesting tweet...

CharlieNaimo : I believe its time WPS resurfaced in LA LA land

When questioned it that was a hint....I get this:

maybe I just woke up motivated today- who knows- someone has to stir the pot ;-)

Let's hope Charlie can make it happen!! I thought with Halstead's quotes that West Coast prob wouldn't enter until 2013....maybe/hopefully something has changed!

18. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Fingers crossed.......let's hope! :D

19. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pali Blues go pro!?

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Los Angeles will be back.
    You get the feeling that Alex Morgan will want to play there.

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    she says she likes portland, and nike is there, so it's a good fit. Press back to Pali Movement in 2014.

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Could you imagine Los Angeles getting Morgan, Press, and Marta?

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :D

i can imagine marta and rincon on a Foz roster in South Florida, Morgan and Sinclair in Portland and Press and Sydney (they were going to be paired in Atlanta) in LA. Now you have a league coming together with some super teams.

the league will need super teams like any sport to move forward.