Soccer Stat Analysis

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by nnelli, May 29, 2014.

1. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  2. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    EvanJ repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The leagues are of unequal strength and the Bundesliga plays fewer games. Therefore to evaluate how well each club did on the field I would take each club's points per game and multiply by the country coefficient from http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2014.html . Although what you named are commonly called the "Top 5 leagues," in the coefficients Portugal is now in the Top 5 and France is 6th.

4. royg1

royg1 New Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    help! I need a fast website that has Play-By-Play in it. Do you know any?

5. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    JamesBH11 repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might work for most countries (I don't know), but obviously those statistics didn't correlate well with actual results for the USA. You had the USA 23rd and last in their group.

8. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Statistically, the USA did not do "well". In two of the three games, they dropped deep, had little possession and very few shots. They were also last in the field of 32 in shots conceded.

As always, stats don't always tell the whole story. The US played incredibly well against Portugal, and defending vey well against Ghana and Germany. In fact, they were in the top 10 in the quality of shots conceded. These stats don't take into account game state, opposition level or strategy, etc. They do give an idea of how "well" a team played though.

RevsLiverpool and JamesBH11 repped this.
  9. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I ran some analyses on the EPL season to try and find the biggest overachievers and underachievers, as well as the luckiest and unluckiest teams. Apparently, Swansea should be counting their blessings and Southampton should be pretty angry!

Over Achievers
    [​IMG]

Luckiest Teams
    [​IMG]

RevsLiverpool, Nicola1975 and EvanJ repped this.
  10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I used the Pythagorean equation from here for the GD projections. Then used the same one based on expected goal differential for the second chart.

EvanJ repped this.
  12. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if the difference in goals scored was statistically significant, that doesn't prove that the turf caused the difference.

14. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    True.

15. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Worked on some prediction models for the 2015-2016 season based on team's previous positions and goal differentials. Here is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

16. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Also did some analysis on the top goal scorers in the EPL, as well as based on minutes played.

Rating EPL's Goal Scorers

[​IMG]

17. trinh

trinh New Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    wow, your analysis is great!!

18. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There are a lot of different kinds of field turf. When field turf was first invented the blade length of the blade was made for soccer. The ball did not run it played close to regular grass. At least with the original field turf before Nike took it over. The only problem with field turf back then it was very expensive.

Now it is a lot cheaper and you get what you pay for.

The women's game is different then the men's game. Women are not as quick or as fast as men. So it takes women longer to recover and fall back then men.

Lack of quickness in the women's game is a problem.

Also playing with two real strikers can make a big difference in goals scored. Play with only one true striker will mean a difference a half a goal less a game over the whole season. Even if you have great mids. Your a striker for a reason.

19. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Based on MLS salary information, I checked if the more expensive teams performed better. Here's what I found.

[​IMG]

20. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Redid a study from The Numbers Game for the MLS on marginal points per goal, and the number of points a goalscorer earns for the club. Here is what I found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your conclusion was:

"In conclusion, if we view goals as a means to earning points then all goals are not created equal. Instead, their worth varies depending on the order in which they are scored. In this way, a player who opens the scoring in 10 games would be worth more to his team than a player who scores 20 goals after his team has already bagged a few."

I think if a club wins 3:2 and three players score, they should be treated equally valuable regardless of order because the club needed all 3 to win. I think if a club wins 3:0 then the order should matter and the first goal should be considered more important.

22. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree with what you are saying. My project was based on averages, not an individual game basis.

However, I think if we look at individual games I feel like it gets a bit more complicated. For example, in a 3-0 game the first goal would technically be worth 2 pts (going from a 1pt draw to a 3pt win) while the second and third would be worthless since they don't add any marginal points. In a 3-2 game, the first two would be each worth 0.5pts (splitting the 1 pt for the 2-2 draw) and the third would be worth 2 points. It would be an interesting way to look at things for sure, but it almost ignores all goals scored after the "game winner".

In essence, looking at averages made for a conclusion that could be applied over larger data sets.

23. akrylik

akrylik New Member

Aug 9, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    interesting about the passes allowed

24. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona