Soccer specific stadium

Discussion in 'Richmond Kickers' started by RichmondRowdy, May 21, 2014.

1. RichmondRowdy

RichmondRowdy New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Richmond
    Club:
    Richmond Kickers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was listening to Greg Burton today driving home from work and he was talking to Leigh Cowlishaw about the Crystal Palace game. From what he said it looks like they are using this game as a barometer for a future stadium. He mentioned they were looking at building a 3,000-5,000 seat stadium.

I thought it would be nice to start the discussion of what you want in a stadium, where it should be located and how many people should it seat. For me I would love to have it in Manchester right on the river with a downtown view of the city. The stadium really needs to be in the 7,500-10,000 seat range. It would be nice to have a designated pub and team shop as well. City stadium would be my second choice in regards to location.

2. fútbolgrande

fútbolgrande Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

RichmondRowdy repped this.
  3. RichmondRowdy

RichmondRowdy New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Richmond
    Club:
    Richmond Kickers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best reason I have is because it would be a good venue for the city to host events especially if it stays downtown. We would be more likely to get bigger name clubs here and generate more revenue through ticket sales. Also the kickers are growing in Richmond with the efforts of the red army and a stadium around 3000 would be too small to accommodate that growth, just look at vcu's Siegel center. If cost is a factor maybe build a 5000 seat stadium with plans to expand. Either way it is long overdue and I look forward to being in a soccerspecific stadium in Richmond

4. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no one ever think of building south of the river -good idea
    BTW: I see what you did - SSS in the Manchester part of the city :)

5. RichmondRowdy

RichmondRowdy New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Richmond
    Club:
    Richmond Kickers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a shame that the city places so much emphasis on a new baseball team in shockoe bottom when the future is in soccer. This is coming from someone who grew up with baseball and loves the sport. I just have to be realistic and the momentum of soccer is much better. Could you imagine a SSS stadium in shockoe bottom? The right demographic is in Shockoe bottom and we could see the Kickers attendance explode with a stadium there.

6. RJTintheFan

RJTintheFan New Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    Richmond Kickers
    I'm with you, Rowdy. I grew up on the "big 3" and was one of those folks who stereotyped soccer without giving the sport a chance. In 2006 I started to see the writing on the wall. Soccer wasn't just a niche thing anymore....I started seeing it discussed in bars and among friends for the first time. I also saw that baseball was beginning a slow death, and so I gave the game a shot. It took a bit of forcefeeding in the 2006 World Cup. In 2010, I was really into team USA and watched all the games in bars with friends. In 2013, I carved time out to watch every team USA non-friendly. I also began watching the EPL on Saturday mornings. By 2014, it was game over. I took off work for the first full day of the World Cup and all team USA matches, and watched nearly every other match.

7. RJTintheFan

RJTintheFan New Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    Richmond Kickers
    First off, congrats to the Kickers for landing a game against an EPL side. That in of itself is a huge accomplishment. Their re-branding efforts have been very noticeable and they've done a great job so far. Rome wasn't built in a day.

That being said, I think it would be a shame if this match was used as a barometer for interest in local soccer here. RVA was the #9 ranked market for the World Cup and the EPL. We are one of the largest metros without a pro sports team. 57% of Richmonders believe that RVA can support a pro sports team. Just look at what VCU basketball did once it broke through.

For now, this event and what the Kickers are trying to do has not quite reached critical mass and entered discussion around the bars and other places young/educated professionals frequent. Give it time, and it will. Once people in RVA start talking about it and there's a buzz around town, then you can judge how big a stadium we can support.

IMO, it's time to start thinking big in this town, and I think rallying around professional soccer is one way for us to grow our brand.

8. RichmondRowdy

RichmondRowdy New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Richmond
    Club:
    Richmond Kickers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man sounds like my life lol. For me it was around 2009 after the USA lost to brazil in the confederations cup. I remember going to the local soccer store on the south side and they didn't have any team usa merchandise. Now I watch EPL games every weekend and am hooked. Try to catch MLS games as we'll and stayed an extra day on my vacation in Portland to see the Timbers play the Sounders. Amazing how times have changed. I just love the quick games and the constant pace. I can't stand how NFL games are now 3.5-4 hours with ads every 5 minutes. I don't have the time to waste. I am glad others are thinking big in Richmond. It starts at the ground level in the Red Army and will grow from there. Looking forward to being part of it.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Fracas

Fracas Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Tulsa, OK USA
    While a new stadium south of the James in Manchester would be great; upgrading the city stadium seems most prudent

If anything else, the new base ball stadium should be in the same area, and VCU should scope out land for a football stadium in the triangle south of Cary as well.