Soccer-specific stadium sizes?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 19, 2006.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's scheduled arrival is 8:27 pm.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong again, Jade. Read the article:

The complex, if approved, would be to the west of U.S. Highway 69 between 159th and 167th streets. Half of the 300 acres would be for 24 high-calibur youth soccer fields, the rest might be pro-soccer stadium for the Wizards and a retail development. But Mahoney reported that is a separate issue, although it is related to the project.

The vote is for funding for the development of the land (i.e. infrastructure) and the youth fields. The stadium is NOT part of the vote.

And how's that "having a stadium but not a team" philosophy working for y'all up in Philly?

Go play in an alley.

EDIT: I see Qdog already beat me to this point. So that's two of us who know how to read and one who doesn't...

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know its hard, but lets try to focus (once again...).

Can you tell I have toddlers in my house?

On topic,

Can anyone get the info for Toronto FC and any Revs plans?

4. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Do you think the stadium will be built if they vote the youth fields down?

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that they're far too quickly dismissed by people who are exclusively fans.

First, many, many places are in serious need of my rec fields. Second, they generate usage fees. Third, they result in the facility being used far, far more often than it would with just a stadium. (Case in point: I was at PHP last night, a Tuesday night. Most of the fields at the facility were in use by rec teams and youth teams.) Fourth, they provide for an added link between the professional team and the local rec soccer community.
    A dubious assertion.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BMO Field (i believe it's called now) will have approximately 20,000 seats, and is around 160,000 SF in size, and i believe the entire site (known as Exhibition Place), takes up 64 acres.

and that's all i have to say about that.

7. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OF course LAX-SJC-Light Rail, LAX-SFO-Caltrain and (pipedream) LAX-OAK-Bart
    would all drop you off steps from the stadium in substantially shorter time than
    pure rail Union Station to Diridon (at least until the California High Speed Rail is built).

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is another update:

Here is a breakdown of SSS projects in MLS (thanks to Dill0n):
    Existing MLS facilities
    - Pizza Hut Park (FC Dallas): 117 acre master development (including 22,000 seat stadium and 17 fields)
    - Home Depot Center (LA Galaxy): 125 acre development (including 27,000 seat stadium and facilities for multiple sports)
    - Toyota Park (Chicago Fire): approx 100 acre development (including 20,000 seat stadium, expandable to 30,000)
    - Columbus Crew Stadium: 10 acre plaza along with 22,500 seat stadium and 60 acres for parking.

Under Construction/Advanced Planning stages
    -Toronto BMO Field (Toronto FC) ~20,000 seats, ~160,000 SF in size, and entire site (Exhibition Place), takes up 64 acres.
    - Red Bull Park (RBNY): approx 87 acre development (including 25,000 seat stadium)
    - Poplar Point (DC United): 110 acre mixed-used development (including 25,000 seat stadium)
    -Commerce City (Rapids): 360 acres, largest soccer complex in the world (Including 18,000 seat stadium and 24 fields)
    -Sandy Utah (RSL); ~40 acres, stadium, retail, hotel, corporate headquarters, 22,000 seating. Youth field/academy on seperate ~10 acre site near downtown SLC

Potentials
    -Overland Park (KC Wizards): 300 acres; 24 youth soccer fields, retail, a hotel & stadium
    -Rowan West Project (Philadelphia/New Jersey): 280 acre mixed-use development (including stadium)
    -San Jose (Quakes): 13 acres, stadium only, no retail or parking or youth fields

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just one site that is being looked at. You could just as easily add:
    -fairground site, 90 acres, stadium, youth fields, retail.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a breakdown of SSS projects in MLS (thanks to Dill0n):
    Existing MLS facilities
    - Pizza Hut Park (FC Dallas): 117 acre master development (including 22,000 seat stadium and 17 fields)
    - Home Depot Center (LA Galaxy): 125 acre development (including 27,000 seat stadium and facilities for multiple sports)
    - Toyota Park (Chicago Fire): approx 100 acre development (including 20,000 seat stadium, expandable to 30,000)
    - Columbus Crew Stadium: 10 acre plaza along with 22,500 seat stadium and 60 acres for parking.

Under Construction/Advanced Planning stages
    -Toronto BMO Field (Toronto FC) ~20,000 seats, ~160,000 SF in size, and entire site (Exhibition Place), takes up 64 acres.
    - Red Bull Park (RBNY): approx 87 acre development (including 25,000 seat stadium)
    - Poplar Point (DC United): 110 acre mixed-used development (including 25,000 seat stadium)
    -Commerce City (Rapids): 360 acres, largest soccer complex in the world (Including 18,000 seat stadium and 24 fields)
    -Sandy Utah (RSL); ~40 acres, stadium, retail, hotel, corporate headquarters, 22,000 seating. Youth field/academy on seperate ~10 acre site near downtown SLC

Potentials
    -Overland Park (KC Wizards): 300 acres; 24 youth soccer fields, retail, a hotel & stadium
    -Rowan West Project (Philadelphia/New Jersey): 280 acre mixed-use development (including stadium)
    -San Jose (Quakes): downtown site 13 acres, stadium only, no retail or parking or youth fields or fairground site, 90 acres, stadium, youth fields, retail.

11. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    Not entirely correct. BMO Field in Toronto has no youth fields around it. Thats the trade-off for being located downtown in the middle of the Exhibition Place fairgrounds.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have missed the "seems to be key" part of your quote of my comment.

And TFC is different, unlike most SSS projects, its receiving federal, provincial, city, nat'l association and private funds for development.

When sugar daddy gov't pays almost all of the cost, you can do things differently.

13. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    You cannot include the whole Exhibition Place as it as an already-developed attraction with buildings and featuring the Ricoh Colleseum (where the AHL Marlies hockey team plays) and the huge National Trade Centre hall. BMO Field is being built on the site of a parking lot within the Exhibition grounds. In the pic below, the stadium is located under the 'Waite' watermark. The yellow brick building to the north and east is the Ricoh Colleseum, and the big long building to the east of Ricoh is the National Trade Centre. Ther stadium is hemmed in by other buildings directly north and west.The Canadian National Exhibition annual fair was underway at the time of the photo and the rides and midway can be seen to the east of the stadium and south of Ricoh Coll. and NTC. Downtown Toronto is just off to the east, and the tall white tower you see there (just left of the CN Tower) is the headquarters of BMO, the sponsor of BMO Field.
    [​IMG]

14. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    Sure, thanks, I just wanted to clarify as there wasn't much info regarding the Toronto situation.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So BMO Field will have only a stadium and parking, no retail, no youth fields?

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for clarifying that. i hadn't been able to find anything regarding the site size for BMO Field, until i looked on the architect's website. that's where the 64 acres (my statement about the entire site of Exhibition Place) came into play, but i wasn't trying to imply that it was being developed with the SSS as the focal point.

17. patrick epps

patrick epps New Member

Memphis 901fc
    France
    Dec 3, 2018