Soccer on TV in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by whiteisthecolour, May 19, 2008.

1. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just subscribed to Goltv recently and love it! Great deal for the $1.95 per month i pay, and I watch MLS Weekly, the TFC shows, and the MLS and Intl games mostly.

2. BigDreams

BigDreams Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    1.95???! Hell of a deal. What region do you live in? Here in southern Ontario I was paying nearly $10 a month for it.

3. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    $10? Where in southern Ontario do you live? The basic Rogers Cable price is $2.79, which is the most anyone pays for it, plus HST.

My package is 30% off ... so I pay $1.95 plus HST.

Others can get it cheaper. $2.79 is the price if you only have one A la carte channel. If you have 2 it's $2.69. If you have 5 it's $2.19. If you have 10 it's $1.60 ... etc. and that's before the 30% discount a lot of people have.

It's one of the cheapest channels going. It barely costs more a month than the tip on a beer at BMO. I don't understand why anyone would complain about having to pay for it!

4. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe he was mistaking Gol TV and Setanta.

Or perhaps he was paying for the entire package Gol TV was in. I think the 6-channel packages are sometimes $6.99-$9.99 a month.

5. saby000

saby000 New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I have quite a good link to give you guys. Is a roumanian site I think and there you have the links of all matches you want to wach every day on line.It is free , no registration require.The links of all matches are approximate on the middle page of the blog. You will have a chanel starting automatic, you can close it any time.I hope that will help you guys.

Link http://football-hd-tv-live.blogspot.com/

6. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm in BC and GolTV is $2.95 but if you add 2 a la carte digital channels its $1.95 each so I added GolTV and Movietime to get the lesser price. I don't have Setanta.

7. BigDreams

BigDreams Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Windsor, Ontario! Bell Canada I think it was 9$ for GolTV. Hence why I am no longer with Bell...

8. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Yikes ... Bell doesn't sell ala carte channels? Something to keep in mind when I'm threatening Rogers ...

9. La-H

La-H Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Northeast
    Hi all, I am sorry this is off topic but I did not want to start a new thread, so elected to post here.

Would any know where to watch the Canada Honduras game in the Washington DC Metro area? I am traveling for work and will be stuck in DC for the game.

Thanks for all and any advice!

10. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Geez wtf has happened this year:

Score not showing Serie A games.
    Euroworld Sport is only running classic international games (they previously televised Ligue 1, Bundesliga)
    TLN not showing Serie A games
    Sportsnet has created 6 new channels and shows a host of EPL games (for a ridiculous monthly fee)
    TV5 shows it's regular one Ligue 1 game.
    GolTV fewer live games, more focus on MLS.

<sigh>

11. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://news.yahoo.com/la-liga-serie-vanish-many-us-viewers-080014478--sow.html

Guarda-Redes repped this.
  12. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Sportsnet world is really not that bad $20 for 7 channels is a ok deal.

13. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Geez....they bought everything and they don't broadcast here!

I got a response from TLN and The Score. TLN said they are "reviewing the schedule for their property". Not sure what that means, but clearly EuroWorld Sport has nothing they are capable of broadcasting anymore. And The Score said they don't hold the Serie A rights.

I can't believe this...this is wrong on so many levels. You buy all the rights and you aren't even distributed!

So basically the only free football left is one Ligue 1 game on TV5 and one or two epl games on regular sports net.

Damn I'm so crushed now.

--Edit--

Just found out Sportsnet World bought up all the Champions League and Europa League rights, so that really renders Euroworld Sport useless.

This is the problem with these monopolies of broadcasting....they hoard everything and then only the rich can watch.

14. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    They are part of Sportsnet World - formerly Setanta. - http://www.sportsnet.ca/world/plus/

The monthly fee was originally just for the low-definition Setanta channel. In the last couple of years, it's gone from that to high definition, and now to 10 high definition channels (On Rogers I'm seeing 9 Plus channels from 373 to 381). And the price hasn't gone up anymore than any of the other packages. So really it's hard to complain about this anymore than the the original Setanta channel.

On these Sportsnet World Plus channels, in addition to EPL, they also carried some extra Champions League games, Europa League games, and in September they had extra live World Cup Qualifier games. They even carried the CONCACAF Champions League games involving other MLS teams (from Fox - they must have struck some kind of deal with them).

The only mystery, is that it's tough to find any listings for the channels other than the programme guide from Rogers built into my cable box. The only listings I can ever find on the Internet are on the insanely useful http://www.canadasoccertv.ca/- and I think those are also may be sourced from the cable box! :)

And speaking of soccer on Canadian TV. 24-hours before kick-off, and Sportsnet still hasn't finalized it's line-up for tomorrow's internationals - including no information on when and if the England game will be on? Am I missing something?

15. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Still not paying $20 to watch EPL when 6 years ago they had 3 games for free on Sportsnet. Nevermind I don't even follow the league.

Not paying $20 to watch CL games when those games have traditionally been free on TSN until Sportsnet came along. Aside from the fact that I can get a quality HD feed online for free.

Not paying $20 to watch the 2nd tier EL when those games were free on EWS until Sportsnet came along. The quality feeds online are harder to come by, but I already deal with it for Liga Sagres, so it's not a shock to go from HD to 24" computer LCD.

My beef is that with all their "buying power" Rogers got gazumped on La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A, by a network with no intention of broadcasting here. You would think the suits on the top floor would say "hey third party company that sells Serie A rights, we have over 1 million ex-pat Italians in Canada, you really want to bundle the Canadian rights with the U.S. rights for a miserly extra few bucks, or do you want to split them up and we'll cut you a cheque". Same thing goes for La Liga, which was based on Goltv, which is defacto Rogers since they are owned by MLSE.

It's just incredulous that these leagues actually believe that bundling Canadian rights with U.S. rights got them that much extra money than dividing them up. I find it hard to believe Bein Sport was willing to put up a few extra million for both when they had no intention of broadcasting here. It'd be like the NFL setting up a team in Toronto and then not broadcasting the games anywhere south of the border.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Bein Sport gobbles up the EPL rights and Sportsnet is left with 8 or so channels and nothing to justify the price.

But beyond ALL of that. I find it absolutely ridiculous that people want to "grow the sport" of football in North America and they think pay-per-view t.v. is the way to go. FYI, not seeing Ronaldo or Messi on t.v. on Saturdays/Sundays doesn't create fans, it does the opposite, it drives people to play other sports. Just think of why you picked up or continue to pick up a football, and what players influenced you to keep playing, even if you argue it is a cultural thing, somewhere, in your cultures history, someone watched some star player on t.v. and began idolizing them, creating this culture of football.

Football on PPV will be the death of this sport. Just wait until you need to PPV the World Cup.

16. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Not sure where your getting the $20 from ... it's about $18 on Rogers. And that's the base price, these days they discount everything. Personally, I get a 30% discount (and all I have from Rogers is cable), so the price is about $12.70 a month. Or about the same as a pint of beer at a soccer game, once you toss them a tooney tip (okay, a buck or so more, once you toss them a looney).

TSN only ever carried one game at once.

EL on EWS? That only lasted a year. And EWS isn't free ... it just never lasted long enough to get out of free preview!

I don't think Rogers had rights to any of those previously, before that company got interested. Besides, that was some kind of international deal wasn't it. Rogers wouldn't have even been in the bidding.

PPV? There was England games on PPV in the last few years, but I haven't seen it for a while. Isn't PPV all but dead?

17. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    It was still free. And would've likely become part of the sports package which included Fox Soccer Canada (defunct) and Goltv. So EWS, FSC and Goltv for $12 or just Goltv with Toronto FC heavy programming for $12, the choice was easy.

Why wouldn't have Rogers been eligible to bid? The same process is undertaken for EPL rights, only Serie A rights were sold by a third party. Ligue 1 and La Liga were direct purchases.

PPV isn't all but dead. It is more heavily focused on spectacle sports (UFC/Boxing) but you don't think charging $200 for the World Cup in a developed country isn't around the corner? Sure it is. And I bet it will happen sooner rather than later.

18. 1909BVB-Bryan

1909BVB-Bryan New Member

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm happy for more bundesliga games in place of Serie A with GolTV

19. ISSfan

ISSfan Member

Jun 17, 2001
    New York City
    Odds are this post will go unnoticed since this forum isn't particularly active but does anyone know if there is a place in Montreal that might show the USA-Jamaica World Cup Qualifying match on Friday, June 7? The game is being aired on beIN Sport in the US so I don't know if that makes a difference. I checked listings for CBC, TSN, and Rogers Sportsnet, and didn't see it. Don't know if that means it wouldn't be available via satellite some other way. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

20. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This, it would be way better to see the biggest clubs in the world. Instead getting a shit load of BPL games and no Barca, Real, Juve, PSG, etc... But I guess that's how it works.

21. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    GOL TV shows lots of Bundesliga games, and often carries major league games like El Classico. But I agree, more La Liga coverage would be good.

22. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes, but not in HD, is it? Maybe you can order it. But anyway's they litteraly only have what you said plus international games (from europe that is). There's a gol tv app on xbox that would be in HD but I couldn't get it to work.

23. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    OK so I was really looking forward to watching the MLS playoffs tonight, I mean there's only a few of these games on every year, and there's 2 on tonight, so surely at least 1 will be on TV in Canada... Nope, as far as I can see there's none, someone please tell me I'm mistaking and I wont be watching regular season basketball/hockey from the states instead of the MLS playoffs

24. coastalcanadia

Oct 28, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ok, I take that back its on RDS2 if anyone was wondering(dans la francais)

25. P.Villa

P.Villa New Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Is Canada playing Mexico in a friendly today?