Soccer on TV in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by whiteisthecolour, May 19, 2008.

1. buckley17

buckley17 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has anyone heard if GolTV has any plans to show MLS matches that do not feature TFC? I'd be interested in following the other Canadians in the league as well as get more familiarized with the opposition.

2. kahkakew

kahkakew Red Card

Jun 7, 2009
    Indian Country
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes..TFC is not the only friggin team around..now that they own GolTV..you can watch the stupidest segments about their players...like anyone cares outside of southern Ontario...Fox sports are not biased, Sportsnews broadcasters are far more critical and professional. De Vos is not shy to critique amnd is blatantly honest, unlike Forrest who has TFC and Canada up his yimg yang...I watch Setanat as much as possible because the broadcasts are second to none and the replays, interviews, news are actually interesting and not limited to the same ole lame arse team like TFC.

3. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't worry, I hear in 2025 Saskatoon might be getting a team :) Until then the fields need a plowing:eek:

4. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Other than the ESPN ones currently on their schedule?

http://www.goltv.ca/schedule/view_show.php?showid=493

Wednesday

• 9:00 PM - Los Angeles Galaxy at Chicago Fire
    Thursday

• 10:00 PM - New England Revolution at Seattle Sounders

5. buckley17

buckley17 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cool. Thanks. Just heard about those yesterday.

6. rawd

rawd New Member

Jul 10, 2009
    BigSoccer Bewbie
    Everytime I turn on GolTV (other then actually tuning into a game), it's always that segment of Mo and these 2 gimps (one of which needs a haircut) asking him questions at some bar, that's full of other social gimps sucking down pints.

7. TFCSucks

TFCSucks Red Card

Nov 9, 2009
    Edmonton
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It was very disappointing to look all weekend and find that neither of the MLS playoff games were being shown....even Fox Sports cant even broadcast the results the same day, yet they could tell you within an hour of any player in any major European league.

8. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The Euro games are played during the day and most of the MLS playoff games had late starts. FSW finished broadcasting prior to games kicking off.

You can get access to the games via the net.

9. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    GOL TV Canada (Rogers channel 428) had the Seattle/Houston game on live.

10. TFCSucks

TFCSucks Red Card

Nov 9, 2009
    Edmonton
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I saw the last game and the two Galaxy-Chivas matches, but after that nothing. You would think the semi finals would garner some interest. I wonder who is carrying the final.
    It would be nice to see some CCL as well, at least the semis and finals.

11. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Gol TV Canada is carrying the final I believe. Yes it would be good to see some of the CCL games; I'd have quite happily watched the last Houston game for example.

12. TFCSucks

TFCSucks Red Card

Nov 9, 2009
    Edmonton
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Does any network with a decent reputation have a television contract with the MLS?

13. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Lord_ofthe_TFC New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gol tv is the best channel for MLS in this country..it has TFC !!! CBC is a
    continuing running joke is sports broadcasting, thus TFC should tell them to FO . Sportsnet when they do get a game do decent coverage next to gol and better then CBC...even setanta Canada shows TFC games a day or two later in case anyone missed it the first time round on the other channels..

14. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Reading your posts here, I have to think you are pretty young. I'm being kind here. In my opinion, your blog entries are a waste of server space somewhere out there web.

15. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

and that had to do with the topic how? Blogs are blogs..peoples opinions..
    no one said you had to agree with them..but getting back on topic

best canadian soccer tv

1) Setanta Canada
    2) Gol TV
    3) Fox sports world Canada
    4) Sportsnet
    5) CBC

since the latter two are not really football friendly, they take the bottom two slots.

16. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You rank Setanta as the best Canadian soccer TV offering? They don't have any presence in Canada AT ALL, other than an arrangement with Rogers Sportnet to air Soccer Central.
    CBC, when it does cover soccer, has better coverage than any other broadcasting crew based here in North America.
    Or are you just some European wannabee who considers Setanta and Gol TV 'better' than the others because they laid down some coin to bring in broadcasts from Britain and elsewhere abroad? Gol TV spends lots of resources on North American content. Setanta, S.F.A.

17. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Says the guy who supports two European teams.

Setanta provides many Ex parts and BPL supporters with excellent coverage of the league. In addition, it provides C/L games, F.A cup games and various other competitions.

Sportsnet does provide some coverage of BPL games and some TFC games. Having said that, I have also watched them delay games for coverage of bowling or curling.....

CBC is by far the worse of the lot, they cover a few TFC games but do not cover the game in any depth.

18. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    CBC has nothing to offer in terms of Quality and quantity of their productions..Setanta does reply TFC games a day or two after a match which is a bonus if you happen to be working, or out when the game is shown originally. Hey i like Gol too TFC games, now out of market MLS games , tfc shows its brill, but like i said cbc sucks donkey balls when it comes to covering sports...

19. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    Ridiculous.

20. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I only support European teams who employ Canadians, so don't label me as a Euro wannabe please.

I was specifically addressing the moronic posts re CBC. CBE, when it covers soccer, does a better job at game coverage than any of the networks you've listed. Taking a feed from a European-based broadcast and putting on your own show are two completely different beasts. Their OWN coverage of TFC games and FIFA matches has a lot of depth. Setanta, as I've stated previously, doesn't even have any of its own Cdn-based productions, unlike all the others in the game here: CBC, GOL-TV, Fox Sports World Canada, TLN and The Score.

21. busbyboy74

busbyboy74 Member

Apr 13, 2007
    416 Proper
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I disagree about the quality of the coverage. Sportsnet has better coverage for TFC games and does a fantastic job of covering the global game during soccer central. The score,Tln and Gol-tv also have some decent coverage.

CBC covers a handful of TFC games along with a few FIFA games.....that's it. CBC does not have a weekly or bi-weekly show covering the game and has even bumped coverage of TFC games for bloody curling!

Setanta covers a specific market, people that follow the game in the U.K and Europe. Prior to Setanta their was limited coverage of Champions League and BPL. With Setanta we are able to watch the carling cup, F.A Cup, Champions League, championship, MUTV and various other specials.

22. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Rogers has no presence in Canada at all? Setanta Canada is owned by 6878482 Canada Inc, which is a corporation under the control of Rogers Broadcasting Limited.

As for CBC ... it looks like they'll be airing every World Cup game in HD on the main network. I don't see any other broadcaster airing soccer on terrestrial channels.

23. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I said Setanta has no Cdn soccer presence at all, not Rogers. Setanta has no Cdn production at all, other than a handout from Rogers on the extra SoccerCentral broadcast(s) on their station.

CBC is a publicly funded network. They could not justify bidding for EPL games for instance.
    I am very happy they have FIFA broadcasting rights as the network is available across Canada, no digital box required.

24. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Rogers IS Setanta Canada. Who else would be doing their Canadian production? 1/2-hour a week isn't bad ... most weeks lately Gol TV Canada is only doing 1-hour a week. And is Fox Sportsworld Canada producing anything in Canada (real question ... I dropped the channel from my package, as I hadn't watched a game on there in months).

25. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    aah CBC commentary can't wait, well there's always the mute switch ...