News: Soccer on TV: 2016-17 Season

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    #1 SirFozzie, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    I've created this thread to try to track which networks have rights to which competitions in 2016-17. Please help me gather the information needed so this thread can tell folks what networks have rights to what leagues. Just update this thread with any findings)

English Language Networks

Leagues
    English Premier League - NBC Networks
    Scottish Premier League - Fox Soccer Plus
    Bundesliga - Fox Networks
    Serie A - BeIN Sports
    La Liga - BeIN Sports
    MLS: Fox Sports and ESPN
    Ligue 1 (France): BeIN Sports
    English league championship: BeIN Sports
    NASL: One World Sports, BeIN Sports, and WatchESPN (ESPN3)

Cup Competitions
    UEFA Champions League: Fox Sports
    Europa League: Fox Sports
    Copa Libertadores: Fox Soccer Plus (not in English Language), Fox Sports (Semifinals and Finals, English Language)
    English League cup: BeIN Sports
    English FA cup: Fox Sports
    Copa Del Rey: BeIN Sports (ESPN had rights to the final)
    Coppa Italia: GolTV (Could change)
    German DfB Pokal: Fox Sports (Fox Soccer Plus)
    Coupe de France - BeIN Sports
    Coupe de la Ligue (France) - BeIN Sports

(will edit in more and fix any mistakes as info comes in)

Foreign Language
    (Thanks to Danielmak below for this section)

FYI, almost all of these are SD except Libertadores, Sudamericana, and LigaMX/CopaMX.

Argentina: TyC International (USA): Most games are live but Boca and River are not part of this package. The only Boca or River games shown or Copa Argentina. On-screen guide on DTV is almost always off by 1 hour so my advice is to look to the on-line guide, factor your local time compared to the time in Buenos Aires, and then set your DVR to record manually.

Brazil: GolTV for English and Spanish. Sometimes as little as 2 games per week and sometimes many games per week. PFC is a Bra Portuguese option but only SD and not cheap. This is on DTV but maybe on Dish as well.

Chile: TV Chile. Two games each weekend (one on Saturday and one on Sunday, with each game repeating late at night/early in the morning)

Copa Libertadores: Fox Deportes (some games live and some delayed--all delayed games will be edited 2-10 minutes) but the addition of Fox Soccer Plus was a huge improvement with almost every game from the tournament appearing live except maybe 5-8 if memory serves me correct.

Copa Sudamericana: Fox Deportes (some games live and some delayed--all delayed games will be edited 2-10 minutes). Hopefully Fox Soccer Plus will be used for this tournament as well.

Colombia: NTEL (channel 416 on DirecTV and also on Dish but I don't know the channel)--usually 6 games each weekend with 3 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday.

Ecuador: Ecuvisa and Ecuador TV. Rights for different teams are split. These channels are very inconsistent. Sometimes games will be shown for many weeks in a row and then there will be a gap where nothing is shown for weeks. Nothing is airing now even though the league is going.

Mexico: Univision Networks, Telemundo/NBC Universo, Azteca America (which are sometimes licensed to ESPN Deportes---how this works now is not very clear since games will appear sometimes and then games won't appear). If you live in a bad weather environment, I recommend always recording via a national feed so you don't get weather maps and scrolling news about 2 inches of rain on your screen.

Peru: Peru Magico. Seems to show almost every game if not every game.

Uruguay: GolTV. Usually 2 games each week: Nacional and Penarol.

Venezuela: GolTV usually shows 2 games each week.

Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras air on TVCN and Telecentro but I don't know which leagues air on which channels. Sometimes the same game is shown on both. Neither updates the on-screen guide in any consistent fashion and both are horrible with web presence (e.g., TVCN last updated their FB listing about a year ago). Good luck if you want to follow these leagues.

MetroChile and BocaFan repped this.
  2. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    English league championship and League cup: BeIN Sports
    English FA cup: Fox Sports

3. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Really, the relevant information in this thread would be which leagues have changed US networks this year. Doesn't appear that any league of major significance has so far, although the usual secondary European league suspects (Dutch, Portuguese, Russian) always seem to be year-to-year.

4. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Just some additions/corrections for you...

- Coppa Italia no longer belongs to beINSport as they did not show a single match last season. Rights were bought by GOL-TV starting with the semifinal stage. Yet to be seen if those rights go into 2016-17.

- Copa del Rey (it should obviously read "beINSport") but wanted to add that the Final is not included in the contract and is sold separately. ESPN has the rights to the Final.

- Coupe de France & Coupe de la Ligue belong to beINSport.

- DfB Pokal - ESPN

- Scottish Premier League - Fox Sports

- Europa League - Fox Sports

- (being picky here) but Fox Soccer Plus coverage of Copa Libertaores was NOT in English

- NASL: OneWorldSport, beINSport & ESPN (espn3)

- Swiss Super League - beINSports (but not confirmed for 2016-17)

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

SirFozzie repped this.
  5. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Thanks, SA. I'll update it.

6. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nasl is also on cbs sports network for their summer season.

InterFan76 repped this.
  7. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I'll help with some Spanish commentary. FYI, almost all of these are SD except Libertadores, Sudamericana, and LigaMX/CopaMX.

Argentina: TyC International (USA): Most games are live but Boca and River are not part of this package. The only Boca or River games shown or Copa Argentina. On-screen guide on DTV is almost always off by 1 hour so my advice is to look to the on-line guide, factor your local time compared to the time in Buenos Aires, and then set your DVR to record manually.

Brazil: GolTV for English and Spanish. Sometimes as little as 2 games per week and sometimes many games per week. PFC is a Bra Portuguese option but only SD and not cheap. This is on DTV but maybe on Dish as well.

Chile: TV Chile. Two games each weekend (one on Saturday and one on Sunday, with each game repeating late at night/early in the morning)

Copa Libertadores: Fox Deportes (some games live and some delayed--all delayed games will be edited 2-10 minutes) but the addition of Fox Soccer Plus was a huge improvement with almost every game from the tournament appearing live except maybe 5-8 if memory serves me correct.

Copa Sudamericana: Fox Deportes (some games live and some delayed--all delayed games will be edited 2-10 minutes). Hopefully Fox Soccer Plus will be used for this tournament as well.

Colombia: NTEL (channel 416 on DirecTV and also on Dish but I don't know the channel)--usually 6 games each weekend with 3 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday.

Ecuador: Ecuvisa and Ecuador TV. Rights for different teams are split. These channels are very inconsistent. Sometimes games will be shown for many weeks in a row and then there will be a gap where nothing is shown for weeks. Nothing is airing now even though the league is going.

Mexico: Univision Networks, Telemundo/NBC Universo, Azteca America (which are sometimes licensed to ESPN Deportes---how this works now is not very clear since games will appear sometimes and then games won't appear). If you live in a bad weather environment, I recommend always recording via a national feed so you don't get weather maps and scrolling news about 2 inches of rain on your screen.

Peru: Peru Magico. Seems to show almost every game if not every game.

Uruguay: GolTV. Usually 2 games each week: Nacional and Penarol.

Venezuela: GolTV usually shows 2 games each week.

Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras air on TVCN and Telecentro but I don't know which leagues air on which channels. Sometimes the same game is shown on both. Neither updates the on-screen guide in any consistent fashion and both are horrible with web presence (e.g., TVCN last updated their FB listing about a year ago). Good luck if you want to follow these leagues.

Bolivia was on NGSN. Maybe if NGSN reappears then so will this league.

Paraguay as far as I can tell is the only league never to be shown in the USA.

SirFozzie repped this.
  8. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm not sure what the terms are on their Football League deal, but I assume The Championship and League Cup will be back on beIN. The "EFL" site still lists beIN for the US and Canada: http://www.efl.com/global/overseas.aspx

9. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    For non-Soccer sports

NRL (Australian Rugby League): Fox Sports
    Super League (English Rugby League): Fox Soccer Plus
    Aussie Rules: Fox Sports
    Six Nations (Rugby Union): BeIN
    Pro12 (Celtic Rugby Union) : BeIN
    Aviva Premiership (english Rugby Union): NBC Sports

BeIN recently had a ad with Pro12 and SixNations, but not Aviva, so I think it's updated.

10. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Member

Apr 9, 2005
    The Rugby Channel also has Pro12 rights and will show a few live matches per week.

11. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    CBSports and GolTV also have rights to NASL matches, no?

12. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GolTV I think is the "home" broadcaster for Miami FC just like One World Sports is the "home" broadcaster for Cosmos, even though these are national rather than local broadcasters. CBS Sports, along with BeIN and espn3 has is not tied to any particular team.

annoyingracoon01 and MetroChile repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Any word on whether the Rugby Championship (ex-Tri Nations cup) will be available somewhere? First match kicks off on Aug 20 with Australia v New Zealand.

unclesox repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I haven't heard anything at all about whether NGSN will be resurrected for the coming season. Until they closed up shop they had a bunch of leagues: Eredivisie (Dutch), Russia, Portugal, Argentina, Japan, and I think Australia. I know Univision usually carries PSV Eindhoven matches as they have Hector Moreno and Andres Guardado in the team (at least they did last year). I'm still hoping for parochial reasons that someone picks up the Dutch League so I can watch nice streams of Ajax matches.

15. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    According to Wiki, it's DirecTV. But don't take that as gospel, it may be ESPN3 because DirecTV used to have the SANZAR Super Rugby rights, but this season is on ESPN3/WatchESPN

BocaFan repped this.
  16. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Swiss Super League is showing up on EverSport, although not sure if it will be geoblocked here in U.S.

17. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes

18. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    USL matches are on local Fox Sports affiliates. Over the weekend Fox Sports Southwest had Vancouver Whitecaps 2 vs San Antonio. Can anyone verify if USL is on other affiliates? Just searched on Directv and it seems San Antonio are the only teams games on any affiliate. I guess FSSW is their home channel. This coming Sat they play LA Galaxy 2

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Anything on next week's Champions League matches?

20. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    beINSport picked up the 2nd leg of the Monaco v Fenerbahce match on Wednesday, August 3rd.

That's all I see at the moment.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

HomietheClown repped this.
  21. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 daniloni, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    laola1.tv has been showing about 3 champion leagues qualifiers per day and 8-10 europa league qualifiers. Watched Sheriff Tiraspol-Hapoel Be'er Sheva yesterday. Perfect stream (perfect as in smooth... this particular stream wasn't HD but many are, but it was very acceptable even if not in HD), no ads, no stuttering.

Today, they're showing F91 Dudelange v. FK Qarabag, Dinamo Zagreb v. Sardar Skopje and Hafnarfjordur v. Dundalk, all for the Champions League. Kapaz v. Admira Wacker Modling for Europa League, and a friendly between FC Zbrojovka and St. Pauli. Nine Europa League games are on their schedule for tomorrow.

22. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    For those with iptv services (along with laola.tv) there are 13 matches available Thursday from the Europa League!

http://soccertvblog.com/uefa-el-tv/

SA

MetroChile and daniloni repped this.
  23. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    I noticed that Univision networks once again will carry the CONCACAF Champions League (the opening week of 2-4 August as 8 matches.....Univision Deportes (UDN) is showing 6 of them live, plus one on delay, while the remaining game is on delay on Galavision). However, as of today, there are no listings of Fox Sports cable networks carrying any of these matches, nor listings on the streaming side (via Fox Soccer 2 Go). The listings of the matches on the foxsports.com site only lists UDN as far as media coverage.

Does anyone have any information regarding English language coverage of this competition? Has Fox just not updated next months listings yet, or have they dropped coverage?

I have written CONCACAF regarding this issue, and will hopefully have some answer eventually.

SirFozzie and MetroChile repped this.
  24. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
  25. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks for serie a fans like myself. Bein will always give La Liga the air time.