Soccer Movies

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by mjlee22, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go ahead, but please, not in this thread. People can't find anything in it as it is. I'd rather not clutter it up with product placements.

2. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer Movie: Playing for Keeps - 2012

The plot: retired and penniless Scottish soccer star moves to small town to reunite with his 9yo son and soon-to-be-remarried ex-wife and ends up coaching son’s team on the way to becoming a responsible adult male and finding a new career as a sportscaster.

Gerard Butler is as charismatic as ever and gets to speak in his natural Scottish accent. The soccer play is pretty good; it is clear that the U10 players all know the game. Butler put in “a bit of training” so that he could handle the ball and do tricks a top player would be expected to do. In the closing scenes, Jessica Biel gets to play, and she shows soccer is her sport.

The film got bad reviews, and its background gives clues on how this happened. Playing for Keeps was Gerard Butler’s second soccer movie and a project he took on in 2009, when it was originally a baseball story. The producers (13 are listed) got Italian director Gabriele Muccino, whose reputation pulled in an all-star cast to fill character roles. Under apparently some Hollywood business pressure, the film—which Muccino originally saw as a melodrama of the “Pursuit of Happyness” type—ended up being sort of a comedy with a lot of horny soccer moms making demands of Coach Butler and his fabulous abs.

Director Muccino, whose English is barely understandable, wanted this movie to be about the father-son relationship, as is his vein. In his view of the story, the availability of money and sex in the town are barriers to Butler’s growing up, and it is a challenge he must overcome to build a relationship with the son he hasn’t seen for 5 years. This lofty theme comes from a director who has 3 children by 3 women.

The more soccer movies I watch, the more I wonder how Hollywood can possibly be a business! At $35M, this is the second-most expensive soccer movie ever made. While the comedy is enjoyable, the film is confusing to watch. I saw it during its theatrical run, and at one point, I asked my buddy if we were in the wrong theater, because I thought the movie was supposed to be a comedy.

I thought it was interesting that the players wore AYSO jerseys but AYSO was not in the credits. I assume the soccer mom sex drove them to disassociate from the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032755/
    Streamable on netflix

This was the 100th soccer movie I’ve watched and reviewed. Whew!

3. maroonaviator4

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Best TV Show I've ever seen about soccer. Easily: Giant Killing.
    A 26 episode Japanese show about a coach who returns from abroad to save his J-League club from relegation. Written for adults (you'll notice right away) and a fascinating look at the frustrations of trying to win with a small club. Genius show that got rave reviews in 2010 when it came out. I can't recommend it enough.

[​IMG]

4. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer Movie: Heleno (2011)

Information about Heleno De Freitas is scanty when compared to Garrincha or Pelé. He was born in 1920 and predated Brazil's success on the world stage. He won no trophies for Botafogo, he played in no world cups, and so there is no film of his play. While he scored many goals, little can be gleaned about his ability or his impact on the game. Instead, his legend centers around his bad boy behavior, night life, many affairs, mercurial temperament, and his eventual spiral into insanity, brought on by untreated syphilis as well as ether inhalant abuse. He died at the age of 39 after being institutionalized in an psychiatric hospital at 32.

It seems strange to me that given little info, the director could have gone hog wild and written whatever story he wanted, but instead, he chose to create an artsy-fartsy B&W film, with the star losing 12-28 pounds in order to look sick at the end of filming. But with very little soccer, little sex, or even for that matter, much of a story, it is obvious why, after playing in a bunch of film festivals, the film went straight to DVD and netflix.

Like most inconsequential films, its backstory is more interesting. I wondered why Heleno refused treatment for his syphilis. It turns out that penicillin treatment at that time was very new. He would have had to endure 8 days of intramuscular penicillin shots every few hours, and the procedure was so new, a cure was not guaranteed. On top of that, after the first year of infection, syphilis can be latent for as long as 15 years or even forever and thus not physically apparent. I also found one article in portuguese that speculated that Helano was bipolar. All of these factors could explain why he could ignore a syphilitic infection.

It was also interesting to learn that ether abuse started around that time because of Carnaval. As a prank, people would mix ether with perfume and shower others with the ice cold concoction. Ether's easy availability established it as a mainstay for inhalant abuse amongst Brazil's impoverished youth, which it remains today along with glue and other chemicals.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1720114/
    Streamable on netflix. In Portuguese with english subtitles.

5. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anybody find "Miracle Match" online? I looked for it and even used "Game of their Lives" and no go!

6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. auxerrine

auxerrine New Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm part of a team producing a documentary about elite American youth soccer players.

One part of the film will focus on former players who are no longer playing but are pursuing new avenues in life,
    and we need your help in our search. Maybe you are who we're looking for, or maybe you know someone.

Feel free to message me or use the email academy@auxerrine.com with any questions you might have.

Here is the casting notice which has more details:
    http://anuncorkedproduction.com/news/l2zbjlnt28t514paw7fte0rom7yv6b

UNCORKED PRODUCTIONS and AUXERRINE CORP are developing a new documentary film about current and former male youth soccer players.

The film explores the rituals and determination of those pursuing their dreams of becoming professional soccer players.

We are looking for former players now pursuing new avenues in life completely separate from soccer. As not everyone achieves a professional soccer lifestyle, we want to give voice to those who are now channeling that commitment to something else.

If you were ever signed to a professional contract or on the cusp, and have since stopped playing, we want to talk to you.

If you worked your entire youth to receive a pro contract, and either never received one or cut your career short on your own decision, we want to talk to you.

We are especially looking for those who played abroad in England or Europe. Were you given a trial or even signed under a contract at an English football academy, but no longer play? We want to talk to you.

In addition to being a former player, are you pursuing any other regimented lifestyle not related to sport? For instance, these are some examples of what we're looking for:

- Are you going to a technical college?
    - Training to be a firefighter or something similar?
    - In acting school?
    - Pursuing any sort of performance career?
    - Do you live in the desert or some other isolated area?
    - Were you injured and can no longer play?
    - Have you joined a religious institution?
    - Did you give up soccer to pursue some other career or activity?
    - Are you pursuing any other new avenues on life and have moved away from playing soccer?

If this is you, please email us at academy@auxerrine.com with a little about yourself. Please include your name, contact info and location, and especially a recent photo or two. Must be male, at least 18 years old and appear to be under 35 years old.

8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Football Vagabond with George Quraishi (August 2013)

The founder/editor of Howler magazine, George Quraishi has published a trio of 7-minute videos about Greek football and its fans. The first two episodes are as artful as the magazine he debuted this past year. The 3rd episode is a little lean, but all are worth watching if you'd like to learn a little about the passion of Greek football fans and the inability of players to get paid.
    • Episode 2 - Love & Money. Meet Peter Philipakos, a Greek-American who played in Greece, including short stint for Olympiacos. Recently retired from soccer, he talks about how difficult it was to get paid. A few reporters also talk about match-fixing and corruption in Greece, where an Athens team typically wins the league every year.
    • Episode 3 - Saloniki - Aris & PAOK. Quraishi examines the fans of Aris and PAOK, two teams in Thessaloniki, the only other city besides Athens that has ever won the league. An interview with Emmy Voutsa, the General Secretary for Aris (where Eddie Johnson & Freddy Adu played for a bit), gives you an idea of the financial issues.
    All the episodes are on KickTV.

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KickTV hosts a Films & Documentaries Channel (2012)

I guess I'm behind the times. Apparently KickTV kicked off this Films & Documentaries channel around June-2012. It's somewhat in association with the Kicking + Screaming Soccer Film Festivals. In association in this case means that K+S gives them a few suggestions of what KickTV ought to stream. But they haven't posted very much: "FC Barcelona Confidential" and "The Ref (El Arbitro)". Here's a list of trailers screened at a past film festival.

10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took me a long time to do this, but I put all my soccer movie reviews on a wordpress website, so that it is easier to find a review. Please take a look! I won't be updating this BigSoccer thread with more reviews.

Thx for reading my obsessive compulsive vanity project!

11. auxerrine

auxerrine New Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all

I posted here about a year ago as I was casting a documentary called ACADEMY about soccer players' training lives. We got a good response as far as submissions so I thought I'd update you. For the past year we've been working non-stop, shooting the film throughout the Northeastern US.

This film ACADEMY is the study of elite American soccer players' training lives at various levels. In three separate parts, the documentary chronicles the practice sessions of the U17 Boys National Champion club team, Smithtown Arsenal; then travels to England to study American boys training at an elite academy or two there; then the film returns Stateside to study the lives of former players of various levels, each pursuing new career paths with the same rigor they brought to their playing lives.

We're now just a few months from wrapping photography and are starting to get word out about the film. We're hoping to build a community of supporters who can help us as we crowd-fund the final bit of shooting. We have plans to shoot in England with some Americans training over there, but we need to raise the money before we can lock anything in. We really need your help!

I want to invite you all to check out the page, watch our campaign video, have a look at the perks, and maybe you'll be interested in helping us complete this film.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/academy/

I really think you all will be into this film. I can't think of a single soccer player or fan in this country who wouldn't want to see it. It's not an editorial type film, it does not make a commentary on the game-its goal is merely to observe what it's like in these training environments, taking the viewer inside.

I'd be thrilled if you could share our campaign with any player or coach you can think of. Or if you're so inclined, to support us yourself.

Happy to answer any questions about the project if you have em! Message me here or email academy@auxerrine.com

Thanks for reading,
    -brent

12. transformers4

transformers4 New Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    AC Ajaccio
    My favorite movie was Shoulin Soccer and it will be forever favorite.

MondoGoal repped this.
  13. lux.stokes

lux.stokes New Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Club:
    Portugal FC
    Here is a music video that is related to the FIFA World Cup. Movies take too much time. This is nice! Bite-sized beauty!!

14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched Next Goal Wins last night. Wow. An amazing documentary about American Samoan soccer, but really their culture, Thomas Rongen's role as head coach and mentor there in 2011, and the beautiful, uplifting and deeply emotional effect of it all. Just a wonderful, wonderful film:

http://nextgoalwinsmovie.com/

16. MondoGoal

MondoGoal New Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Wellesley, Ma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this movie so much. Ridiculous fun at it's best.

17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. nonoman123

nonoman123 Member

Aug 24, 2011
    iquique
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    soccer mom - 2008

A warm-hearted comedy about a compulsive soccer mom who masquerades as a famous Italian soccer star hired to coach her daughter's floundering soccer team, then struggles frantically to keep her wacky charade going long enough to see the girls win their big tournament

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059980/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just posted a review of "Kicking It", the 2008 documentary of players at the 2006 Homeless World Cup. This was one of the first soccer movies I reviewed, and this version is more substantial.

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reviewed "Bad Parents", a 2012 dark comedy that refreshingly portrays the humorous side of bad sports parenting (that is, if you can laugh at yourself). Unfortunately, the last 30 minutes of the film aren't too good... but judge for yourself, it's on netflix.