Soccer league (in Florida) attracts top young adult players (Mostly Haitians)

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by bana2166, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    New Soccer league (Arsenal League in Florida) attracts top young adult players (Mostly Haitians)

[​IMG]
    Jude Petit-Frere (center), a recent Lake Worth High grad, kicks the ball past his teammates during practice of the Arsenal Soccer League. A lot of the players are from Haiti, as is the league's owner

By Julius Whigham
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, March 15, 2006

As the sun begins to set, a group of young athletes skillfully maneuvers a soccer ball across the well-worn grass outfield at the Osborne Recreation Center.

The dirt infield for softball is nearby, but on this day, soccer is the only game that matters.

Another practice is under way for the Arsenal Soccer League, a young adult league run by Boynton Beach electrician Dickens Litus.

The league will begin a tournament on March 26, with eight teams from the area competing through May 28 at Buttonwood Park. The top players will be selected to compete in an all-star game in June.

Litus, owner and president of the league for about seven years, said the league's goal is to help the players — many of whom are in their late teens to early 20s — develop their skills and attract the attention of college and professional scouts.

"There's a lot of opportunity," he said. "Soccer is more popular in the United States than 15 or 20 years ago. There's a lot of money right now. Even you if you don't make it here, you can go to Europe or somewhere else if you have the potential."

Litus grew up in Haiti, playing soccer as a child. A large number of players in the Arsenal Soccer League are Haitian.

"When you're growing up, that's the national game in Haiti," Litus said.

Litus, 36, said his dream was to play professional soccer. He earned a couple of tryouts with Florida professional teams, but wasn't selected. But Litus, who once played for the Hollywood Kickers, wants to share his experiences with aspiring players.

"I realized that the knowledge of the game I have would be good to pass it to the youth and help them carry it on," he said.

Merry Romeus, who coached soccer for more than 15 years in Haiti, coaches in the Arsenal League and wants to help the players understand the importance of the game.

"I want them to learn what soccer means to them," he said. "Soccer means a lot of things to me. It's my life."

Through the years, the league has attracted some of the area's top high school players, including former Palm Beach Lakes High standouts Richardson Fils and Fabrice Noel, who plays major league soccer for the Colorado Rapids.

Recent Lake Worth High School graduates Jude Petit-Frere and Jimmy Morisset, and Boynton Beach High graduate Charles Pierre Charles, are among the players playing in the Arsenal League.

"It's fun to play with these guys," Petit-Frere said. "You just come out and enjoy yourself."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/greena...occer_0315.html

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Was Noel the fellow that was voted the best HS player in Fla. last year?
    I remember reading there was a Haitian that was voted the best HS player in Fla. the past year; I would assume it is Noel, considering he plays with the Rapids now.

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    welcome here mr New mod...congrats and good luck

4. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Thanks, efer! :)
    Long time, no see!
    Any chance of you getting me a DIM jersey?? ;)

5. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Bana:
    I have been meaning to ask you where Johnny Descollines plays.
    Thanks in advance for a response.
    Metro

6. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    MetroChile

Rumor has it that Johnny Descollines is not playing soccer anymore.... that he retire ... I cannot confirm but its a rumor ....

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Was he in Guatemala just before his rumoured retirement??
    Metro

8. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    MetroChile

I just had a Haitian friend confirm for me .... Johnny Descollines was in El Salvadore and now is back in Haiti .....Not playing soccer anymore ........

9. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    What a shame. :(

10. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    yeah, but with Digicel Technology investing in Haitian Local soccer .... Hopefully the Local clubs will have money too participate in CONCACAF Club Championship and we could showcase Local Haitian players for teams around the world ... Hopefully will have another Johnny Descollines playing around the world ....

11. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Digicel Announces Sponsorship of the Haitian Football Federation

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, March 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Digicel, the fastest growing mobile telecommunications operator in the Caribbean that is preparing to transform wireless communication services in Haiti, has announced an unprecedented multi-million dollar sponsorship agreement with the Haitian Football Federation (HFF).

The initial four-year partnership with the HFF is designed to grow Haitian football to its true potential in advance of Digicel's imminent launch in Haiti. Digicel's commitment represents the most significant, single corporate investment ever made in Haitian sport and in the National League's history.

At a recent gala to celebrate the new partnership between Digicel and the Haitian Football Federation in Port Au Prince, Mr. Paul Berne, Haitian Secretary of State for Youth, Sports and Civil Services, said, "Digicel's landmark investment in Haitian football marks a new era for the Football Federation and a very positive development for Haiti. The company's passion for delivering innovative technology and providing superior mobile phone services has earned Digicel phenomenal success over the past five years. We are confident that with this passion, Digicel is the right partner to grow Haitian football. We welcome Digicel's participation in the Haitian community and look forward to a long and rewarding relationship."

As a result of the partnership and sponsorship investment, 16 football teams and 550 football players from across the country will begin competing in Les Championnats de Digicel Division One. Digicel will supply new equipment and playing kits to all league teams and referees as well as additional training equipment for the National Senior Team.

Digicel will connect with fans by producing multifaceted promotional and viewing experiences. Football fans that support their local clubs throughout Haiti will experience football action at the top venues in the nation and through interactive mobile technology that brings Haitian fans closer to the game and to their football heroes.

Established in 1904, the Haitian Football Federation is one of the oldest in the region. Affiliated to FIFA in 1933, they have been taking part in regional international competition - when circumstances allow - for near-on three-quarters of a century.

"Football is the passion of the nation and our involvement will encourage great performances, support future football legends, and play a role in advancing the sport," said Ms. Ghada Gebara, CEO of Digicel Haiti. "From the onset of being awarded a mobile license in Haiti, we expressed our commitment to make an important contribution to the growth and development of Haiti's economy and society. Digicel takes enormous pride in becoming the official main sponsor of Haitian football. We are very excited about launching in Haiti and greatly enthused by the warm welcome we have been receiving from the community."

Digicel was awarded a GSM license to operate in Haiti in June 2005. With investments in the region at US$1 billion, Digicel operates in 15 countries across the Caribbean and employs over 1500 people of which 92 percent are Caribbean nationals.

About Digicel

Since its launch in 2001, Digicel has become the fastest growing wireless telecommunications operator in the Caribbean. In five years, Digicel has become renowned for competitive rates, unbeatable coverage, superior customer care, a wide variety of products and services, and state-of-the-art handsets. It is the largest GSM operator in the region.

By offering innovative wireless services and community support, Digicel has become a leading brand in the Caribbean and has placed the region at the cutting edge of wireless communications.

Digicel is incorporated in Bermuda and has operations in fifteen countries including Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Barbados, Bermuda, Curacao, The Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, St Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad & Tobago. Digicel intends to expand to the French West Indies islands of Martinique, Guadeloupe and French Guiana with the acquisition of Bouygues Telecom Caraibe, subject to all the appropriate and necessary approvals.

The company is the lead sponsor of Caribbean sports teams including the West Indies Cricket Team, Special Olympics teams across the Caribbean and is title sponsor of the Digicel Caribbean Football Union Cup, which involves over 30 Caribbean countries and is an important qualifier towards the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Visit http://www.digicelgroup.com/ for more information on Digicel
    Digicel

CONTACT: Maureen Rabbitt of Digicel Group, +1-876-361-2852 (Jamaica), or
    Adam Paige of Cohn & Wolfe for Digicel, +1-212-798-9833 (New York)

Web Site: http://www.digicelgroup.com/

http://www.sys-con.com/read/195154.htm

12. FlashEP

FlashEP New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Does anyone know any contact info for the Arsenal League in FL? or the names of club teams?

13. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    My Suggestion to you FlashEP ... is to contact the reporter Julius Whigham at the Palm Beach Post and see if he could get you in touch with Arsenal League in Florida?

Second Suggestion ... there is a web site for Florida Soccer ...its call http://soccerfla.com/index.htm ... contact the web site and maybe they may point you to the right direction.

Ok ...Good Luck

14. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
  15. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Any soccer club near Homestead, FL?
    I did not find any soccer related thing around it when i was down there 2 months ago
    I'm going there in a couple of months, I'll love to play there.

16. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    MoRado ... There has to be a soccer League Near Homestead, Florida ... Like I said contact florida Soccer League ... www.soccerfla.com ...

17. TSAcademy

TSAcademy New Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Florida

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the guys who ran this league ? I've been running into walls trying to contact them...website is dormant and info is non useable..phone numbers dont work..etc

18. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    TSAcademy ... Article posted on Bigsoccer 8 months ago ....

Try getting in touch with Palmbeach Post in Florida and see if they could give you a name, contact or some information about the league ....

Palm Beach Post where the original poster of this article .... try to get in touch with them ..

19. TSAcademy

TSAcademy New Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Florida

They haven't been much help either actually...they just forwarded me the website of the league...which is basically dead space.

20. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    How about the Yellow page in Palm Beach area? ...
    How about emailing other local Paper in Palm Beach area?
    How about contacting the local Government Information Burean in Palm Beach?

How about contacting local soccer club in the area and asking them if they have heard of the league? and if they have a number or Contact for them?

Just a thought ...