Soccer in the City

Discussion in 'Eads Brigade' started by powesp, Dec 29, 2008.

1. raven65az

raven65az New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    St. Charles, MO
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    True, I'm from Aberdeen Scotland...ty for the clarification.

2. Rowdies1965

Rowdies1965 New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Now is the time to bring Khan into the mix. Checketts is out with Real Salt Lake and would make a great partner for Khan in a soccer endeavor. As much as I hate using a football stadium for soccer, an arrangement like the one in Seattle could work. Put up a new outdoor stadium somewhere close to downton. Could use it as a possible World Cup site if the US is chosen for 2022. I go to several US friendlies and qualifiers and would love to have them in St. Louis. The Dome just won't cut it, and I get tired of traveling to Chicago and Nashville to watch the USMNT.

SportBilly, as much as has been made about Coopers attempt to acquire an MLS team by going the USL route, do you still feel that Cooper has a future in any attempt to land an MLS team.

3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I really don't know.

I can see a situation where MLS and NALS/USL are all under one umbrella.
    Not rel/pro or anything, but I could see MLS taking 4 teams at once and then staying at 24 for some time while using the remaining teams as feeder league.

If one of those teams is a huge success, I could see a forced sale/move of one of the less successful MLS teams.

I think we are looking 5-10 years for all of that to happen.

4. Rowdies1965

Rowdies1965 New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree on the time frame. I have waited so long for pro soccer in
    St. Louis, and have had to live through the highs and lows of every MLS expansion announcement. I'll enjoy what we have and will be there for AC matches.