Soccer finally breaks into the Big Four in the US

Discussion in 'Games' started by thejuggernaut, Dec 5, 2009.

1. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    All this shows is there is still a long way to go... anyone who knows anything about the sport knows that PES is a far superior game. :)

2. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I think that argument only holds if the other 3 are football, golf, and football.

Much more a discussion of game quality - baseball has multiple titles that split the field, as do basketball and hockey.

3. Red27

Red27 New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    UK
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Perhaps the prospect of the England v USA fixture in the World Cup 2010 will provide more interest also?

4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EA's FIFA is the great gateway drug into the sport for casual fans. I remember reading about some Boise State Linebacker (dude proposed to his cheerleader girlfriend after a bowl game) who talked about how the video game turned him and his friends onto the sport. Even in my own family if it wasn't for FIFA my older brother would still be completely in the dark about soccer and would still be staring at me with a blank look when I talked to him about all the different leagues, tourneys, and clubs in Europe.

The best anecdotal story I ever heard about FIFA's popularity was in an interview here in Minnesota with a captain of the UofM hockey team. The interviewer asked how much him and the rest of the team were playing the most recent hockey video game and the player responded not all that much because they were all hooked on FIFA.

I wouldn't doubt if you asked people who didn't play soccer as kids or have family ties to foreign clubs how they got into the game the answer would be FIFA.

5. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played college football.

I mean in the 90's, for me, it was the world cup, sometimes euros and then Fifa. That was the extent of my soccer exposure. Damn sure wasn't gonna play the sport in real life, that would've been for the placekicker!

6. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Could very well be.

7. sidquill

sidquill New Member

May 11, 2009
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I have been trying to increase my knowledge in the sport of soccer and especialy with the 2010 World Cup coming but my kids will never let me close to the game they are always playing FIFA

8. GABESTA535

GABESTA535 Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Feb 19, 2007
    Arlington, Va
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see how big of a seller the World Cup 2010 game is in America this summer. That should tell us a lot.

9. MeeMee

MeeMee New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    how about other countries?

10. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Soccer is a growing sport here in the US. I still don't think it's one of the major sports yet.

11. wpg_tfc

wpg_tfc New Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fifa is such a good game this year; no wonder if converts non-fans!