Soccer Festival Results?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Jul 29, 2002.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Where can I find the South roster?

2. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
  3. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I noticed Mike Garcia on the roster. He is a recently graduated UAB player. His brother Bubba(yes that is correct....Bubba Garcia) still plays for UAB and his youngest brother is a rising senior at Homewood HS in B'ham,AL.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    didn't the south lose to the mexican team in a tough 4-3 game with 2 mexicans getting sent off? read that somewhere - sorry i can't remember where. but i sure would have liked to see that game.

what was the result of the u.s. team vs canada, and the u.s. team vs mexico? or weren't they supposed to play each other?

5. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    No, the West lost to Mexico 4-3.

The U-20s play Canada today and Mexico on Saturday(?).

6. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Very interested in any news on the game tonight USA U20s vs CAN U20s. Thanks in advance.
    Canadian side is missing a few boys abroad that will be hopefully in the picture in the fall for qualifying. But three good players from the Calgary Storm are there getting a break from their dismal A-League season.

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Houston Chronicle has an article: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1520157.

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More to come later

Gentlemen,

I've just got back from working at the U.S. Soccer Festival all day and all night. I will post anything y'all want so just post away as I have seen pretty much every match and have the actual game guide (however there are no #'s with faces so I can't match up everyone). I've spent the last two whole days in 105 degree heat and humidity and WILL POST MORE LATER....must sleep now!
    But in short, our boys lost to Canada on Fri. 2-1 as Canada played very well with their back four and held Ed Johnson in check. We had two back to back Convey to Johnson corners-to-headers cleard off the line and the Canucks countered immediately to win 2-1 late.
    Against Mexico tonight, or yesterday or whatever as I can't think right now friends....our lads played very well, we dominated the Mexicans and had at least a 70-30 ball possesion advantage. We were snake bit in fron of goal as they let a few sitters go beggging. The pitch was very wet as a MLS ALL Star game type storm came in and let us use our speed even more. The mexican fans were as classless as their coach and players as they played their kick and dive routine and the fans kept throwing ice, cups and crap on the pitch. the match ended 0-0 and mexico played a man down for the last 30 min. for a pair of nasty challenges. As this was the first time EVER that our Yanks at any level have played Mexico in Texas (for safety reasons as the crowd was split and very proud...this is Texas!) I was disapointed not to win a game we clearly dominated in every faze, technique, speed, passing, communication and organization. 0-0 is only just for our poor finishing.

Ed Johnson and Bobby Convey are pimps to the 10th degree. Men among boys. They both went 3 strait full 90's in heat you can't understand unless youve played soccer in August in Texas.
    Convey has lots to learn bout paceing the midfield but is a gem of aplayer in the center-mid at this level. Ed J is a horse, great speed, vision, strength, heading ability and can trigger a hard shot on frame very well while under heavy manmarking.

That is all for now as I have to get up and take Dave Dir and some of the boys to the airport at 7:00 am....later y'all.

9. green lantern

green lantern New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Just a couple of corrections and additional observations to celtic texan's post.

Johnson and Convey did not join the U-20s until the last two games, so they did not play three straight full 90s. Johnson played all of both games, Convey was subbed out in last night's game.

Johnson is most certainly a force to be reckoned with up top, but to be totally honest, his finishing was a bit of a disappointment. Considering his lack of playing time with the Burn, his rustiness is understandable, but for this team to be successful he needs to make more of his opportunities.

As cetic texan noted, Convey must adjust to his role as the playmaker for this team, and he will also have to be more aware and careful in his defensive third of the field. It was Convey's loss of possession that resulted in the winning goal against Canada, again excusable, perhaps, because he had played in the DC game two days earlier.

The squad as a whole looks very promising. As would be expected, Barclay, Mapp and Stone will be key to the future success of the team, as will be Quaranta once he is healthy.

Does anyone know what additional training Rongen has planned before qualifying begins?

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I don't think that most of us are too concerned about the professional players but thanks for the comments.

How did the following players look:
    Ricardo Clark,Ryan Cochrane and the other defenders.

11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I think Convey needs to move out of DC depending on how much longer Etcheverry is going to be around. If Etch is going to play two more years then Colorado will probably be looking at a playmaker for next season. It's time for Convey to start seeing time in the center of the pitch at the club level so he can learn all of those things that he needs to learn.

What about the defenders?

I don't know but he's going to have to plan something after he picks his final squad so that everyone can get on the same page.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: More to come later

Celt, if you could post the NAMES (first and last) of the players on the four regional teams, I know a lot of us here would appreciate it.

If you post the names, I'm sure that collectively, the regular (and some of the lurkers, too!) Could identify and in a lot of cases give a brief scouting report, on almost all of the players.

From there, we could try and find out who played well and who may have impressed any pro scouts that were there. (With no MLS games this week, I'd hope a lot of assistants were dispatched to Houston to do some scouting.)

I know this will take you a bit of time but we'd all apprecaite the effort and by you a beer or 2 if or when our paths ever cross.

13. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    Festival Comments

Vs. Canada
    The U.S. dominated but found it difficult to stuff in a goal against 8 and 9 in the box. EJ though working hard struggled because of the lack of space. Canada had only 2 real chances and scored on both. The U.S. started with a 4-3-3 formation. They switched to a 4-4-2 at halftime and finished in a 3-5-2 formation. That will explain the substitutions.

Vs. Mexico
    The started in a 4-4-2 formation. The coaching staff considered this to be the best game the U-20's have played to date. The only problem area was finishing.

Notes from the Week
    Simo has played well enough to now be considered the starting left back. Lancos got the start in the Mexico game, played well, and appears to be one of the starting center backs or at worst one of three competing for two starting spots with Cochrane and Marshall. Alvarez will most likely be dropped from the squad and show up on the U-18's. Wegerle and Cameron will be backups for the MLS attackers and midfielders. Cronin is the man in the goal. Clark appears to be the #1 DM in a 4-4-2 formation (the likely formation when Quarenta returns to the team - since this allows Rongen to put EJ-F, Barclay-F, Mapp-LM, Convey-AM, and Quarenta-RM on the field at the same time). Stone and Clark are the two CM's in a 4-3-3 formation. It is too early to tell how a 3-5-2 will be staffed. Even though injured early in the Mexico game, Klaus appears to not have the right back position nailed down since he was subbed out in both the Canada and Mexico games.

14. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000