Soccer checklist feedback requested

Discussion in 'Coach' started by leaning, Apr 15, 2017.

1. leaning

leaning Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Hello!
    I'm the one who tried to squash all the Laws of the Game into one page (https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/soccer-cheat-sheet-feedback-requested.2031431/), and I just finished this other two-page checklist here for things to look for during a game. I wrote it for U8-U12 but there is still a little room for more words. I got some good support last time, so I'd appreciate it if you folks could look this over and provide feedback/critiques/ideas.

Thanks!
    leaning

Attached Files:

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Who is going to use this checklist, and what are they going to do with it?

3. leaning

leaning Member

Mar 31, 2015
    rca2,
    1) We have new coaches that have never played or followed soccer before but want to be involved and volunteer and are looking for tips. Same for volunteer refs.
    2) When word got out about the first sheet I did, I had parents and even kids wanting it just to put on their phone in case they had a question during the game. Now that they better know the rules, I get asked frequently if I can make something quick with more play points than rules.

We are a small town and soccer is a side sport, so it's just a little thing to help people feel more involved.

Thanks for looking!

Regards,
    leaning

4. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #4 rca2, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    In my view then, what the coaches need for matches is:

-a summary of the modifications to the FIFA LOTG and of the competition rules for the matches (this is information the competition host provides to the officials)
    -a chart of the system of play to be used labeled with unique position names
    -a roster (everybody's name, shirt number, and parent's phone number)
    -a substitution plan (I used a blank form with blocks for each position as well as the bench and filled in the names before going to the match)
    -a list of what to bring to the match
    -important phone numbers
    -a "practice plan" for pre-match warm up activities

The last thing they should be doing is coaching during the match. Just give the players encouragement and otherwise let them play. If the coaches actually know the game, during the match they will be evaluating players for techniques and principles of play--which are weak and which are strong.

5. leaning

leaning Member

Mar 31, 2015
    rca2,

This would be more for scrimmages than matches, although even for matches, coaches still are writing their "need to work on lists". But these lists are repetitive because there isn't much variation between game play especially at this level. So, what I did was collect the lists from coaches and interested parents who touchline coach, and that's what the document was I posted. AFA the other ideas you suggested, that sounds like good stuff after I get this one out there. I don't know about the substitution items (if we have any extra players, there's at most 2, but usually none), but the other things we can do or tweak. Thanks for your thoughts. Regards, leaning

6. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #6 rca2, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    I played all my life and coached for over 18 years, but I don't "touchline" coach. Does more harm than good. If a parent coach is not an athlete, then they don't have anything to teach the players. Giving a "checklist" to the these types of "coaches" is just empowering the ignorant to make comments during play. Knowledgeable parent coaches don't need the checklist.

Talking to substitutes sometimes works for them, but then you are not watching the players in the match. I say sometimes because time and time again when I tried to make a coaching point to adult players after they have come off, they don't remember the play.

So for practical purposes you are limited to commenting on what other players are doing and, if you make negative comments, it will increase the fear of failure. With U-Littles, I do my coaching during training sessions and avoid negative comments.

7. leaning

leaning Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Bumping this post in case anyone has any feedback before I print it out for tomorrow's game. Thanks for everyone's help and have a good weekend.

Regards,
    leaning

8. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not bad. Impressive effort.

I might trim it down a little and eliminate a couple of sections or points.

9. leaning

leaning Member

Mar 31, 2015
    elessar78: Thanks. I took another look and removed some words. I couldn't see a way to remove any of the topics. I appreciate your feedback.
    Regards,
    leaning

Attached Files: