News: Soccer Bosses Want a $1 Billion Pan-American Tournament

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What danger? It already happened long ago!

2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    You know, I'm almost OK with orange cards, assuming that means basically a penalty box situation, where a team plays shorthanded for several minutes. With the yellow-card-red-card system, arguably one is too soft and one is ruinous and therefore very hard to give. Which means the former does little and the latter is too rare to be entirely effective. It also makes it a blinking game between the ref and the offending player - how much can the player do before really being penalized. If a player has to worry about being out of the game for 5-10 minutes, then hopefully it will clean up some of the "fouling as defense" epidemic that's been taking over the game in recent years.

blacksun repped this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I think no offside is the worst. Beside the cherry-picking, it would discourage overlapping, which would hurt offense, rather than help it. It's like the "move the three-point line in and we'll have higher scoring games" theory.

I prefer halves to quarters, but it doesn't change much. I think PKs are more tense and therefore more exciting, but the MLS-style does give the keeper more of a chance to make a play, and therefore makes the outcome a little more skill-based and a little less luck-based.

Hawkfan_08 repped this.
  4. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    That's my point.

5. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    "Univision, which paid $70 million for Spanish-language [Copa America 2016] rights in the U.S., sold more than $135 million in advertising."

I'm no Wharton MBA (trying... very... hard... not... to... veer... into... politics), but those look like some awfully attractive profit margins.

deejay, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Indeed, but I doubt the current political situation is the most propitious to discuss a regular event.

Perhaps in a few years.

7. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I think you're safe: there's a prominent politician who was an undergrad at Wharton, but no particularly notable Wharton MBAs in politics right now.

Grumpy in LA and deejay repped this.
  8. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    This thread felt like it needed a bump.

Article above says Copa America Centenario 2016 (a hastily organized tournament at that) generated 4x revenue of Gold Cup.

I know you can only play the opponent in front of you, and the tournament in front of you, which is what we're in the middle of doing at the Gold Cup 2017... but is there any news on whether we might have a CONCACAF + CONMEBOL Copa America format beginning 2020?

Seems like all the pieces are in place for this to happen. Only needs a leader to step up and make it so.