Soccer and (International) Law & Economics, studies of the subject

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Jan 29, 2016.

1. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...sport-banned-from-playing-football-in-England
    Teenager with British passport banned from playing football in England

BARMY rules have banned a teenager with a British passport from playing football in England.

By John Ward / Published 6th October 2013
    [​IMG] Canadian-born Brendan Norris, 17, is studying sport at Sparsholt College Wiltshire

Canadian-born Brendan Norris, 17, is studying sport at Sparsholt College Wiltshire, which has links to Southampton FC.

He had hoped to join a football team at the college in a bid to realise his dream of becoming a professional player or coach.

But because he had played youth football in Canada for Kingston FC, he had to register with football's governing body FIFA to be eligible for the BTEC course in sport.

And despite Brendan's British citizenship through his English dad, FIFA denied his application.

It invoked rules designed to prevent child trafficking from the third world to ban him from playing.

Now the promising teenager, who moved to the UK with his family in February, has been sidelined from the college team.

The ruling even stops him from playing Sunday league football.

Brendan told the Daily Star Sunday: "I just don't get why it has happened. There are so many other players from around the world who get to come here to play football yet they have stopped me.

"It is frustrating and upsetting. FIFA are screwing with my future and they don't seem to care. I am at a stage where I want to play football competitively and learn from the great coaches here. I can't even play Sunday league football. It's unfair."

His dad Mike, 52, from Cambridge, has appealed to FIFA and the English Football Association but says he has hit a brick wall. "This ruling makes no sense. At first we thought it was a mistake but it has become even more frustrating as FIFA refuses to reverse its decision," he said.

[​IMG] Brendan had hoped to join a football team at the college in a bid to realise his dream of becoming a professional player

“Are FIFA saying Canada is a developing nation and that Brendan, who has the support of his family, is being trafficked? It's madness”

Brendan will be playing football as part of his college course, it is intertwined with the course curriculum. "But FIFA ignore this and in doing so could have prevented Brendan completing his education.

"The FIFA rules were meant to prevent big clubs bringing minors in from developing countries then putting them on the street with no support when they failed to make it.

"Are FIFA saying Canada is a developing nation and that Brendan, who has the support of his family, is being trafficked? It's madness."

"Mike has blasted the UK government for its lack of support over the matter. He said: "It seems no one in government wants to upset FIFA or the FA. It's very nice how incompetence tends to rally all the bureaucrats together."

He said there were countless examples of other teens from abroad being cleared to play for English clubs.

"It seems if you have an agent and/or are part of a certain 'footballing boys club' the rules do not apply," he said.

Brendan was refused an International Transfer Certificate - used to govern moves for players under 18.

FIFA cited the sections of the rules that deal with player trafficking, saying: "The decision has been taken by a member of the competent body of FIFA. We cannot comment on the substance of the decision."

An FA spokesman said: "It's a decision FIFA, not the FA, have taken. There's not much more we can do."

A spokesman from the Department of Culture Media and Sport said: "It does seem odd that a young footballer who has a British passport and British parentage is blocked from playing college-level football in this country."