So You're Pregnant...

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Riz, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Given the demographics around here, this thread may die quickly ;) but I hadn't seen a general pregnancy thread 'round here and I know I can't be the only one who has been or is pregnant or has been around a pregnant chica.

I'm currently 21 weeks pregnant with my first child, and I was kept up all last night for the first (of many, I am sure) time by the little bean kicking me non-stop. I'm on day two of almost non-stop kicking, which I gotta say is wearing me down.

Anyways, I'd love to hear other people's stories, and hope y'all don't mind me dropping in to vent now and again. :D

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, I've never had the pleasure of someone kicking away inside of me, but you're still welcome to share with us. :)

Vent away.

3. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kristina's just passed the 32 week mark, and the twins are having a dance party in there. Moreover, the acid reflux is kicking the crap out of her, which means she's up all night long. However, she's found a small cup of ice cream right before bed makes a major difference.

Current projection is that they'll arrive in 3-5 weeks.

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how you chicks do that. My wife complained about a lot of things when she was pregnant, and I learned very quickly not to say things like [eric cartman]get your ass back into the kitchen and make me some pie![/eric cartman]

5. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know how we do this either. It's not explicitly laid out in our chick manual.:D

I personally lucked out - no morning sickness at all, which was nice. But man oh man, I've never been this uncomfortable in my life, and it's freaky to think about how much worse it will get.

Ian, best wishes to Kristin and the twins. I can't even imagine what two little tap dancers feel like. :eek:

6. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we had Caroline, Kristina had that same dream trip you had the first trimester- no morning sickness, no food aversions nothing. With the twins, she's had everything-- double the kids means double the hormones means double the morning sickness.

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My wife's ten weeks pregnant and is puking day and night. It's disgusting. If she doesn't stratighten up, I'm kicking her ass back to El Salvdor for a month-long vacation.

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    My wife is starting her seventh week. Thus far, it's been much easier than the first shortie, with only mild nausea. She's been awfully prone to colds, however. I guess that's not so bad.

9. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife is in her 15th week. She is just really tired all the time and she thinks she is coming down with the flu now. This week is not going to be fun if that is true.

10. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hated that.

I swear, no one ever told me that I would be so damn tired in my first trimester. Every day was a struggle to stay awake at work, and every night I was asleep early.

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife says to tell you that the first trimester sucks because you're sick all the time, the third trimester sucks because you're big as a whale, but the second trimester is okay. Except for the clothes.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's different for everyone really.

What I personally hated the most (squeamish men look away now) is in the third trimester when your uterus starts pressing into your bladder and you're constantly running to the bathroom. In the last two weeks of my pregnancy I didn't know what to do with myself and I talked to my child every morning: if you don't come out today you'll be reminded of the bother you're causing me for the rest of your life.

It's all worth it in the end though, so good luck.

13. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Mrs Skizz had a pretty smooth pregnancy. Mainly because we only found out she was pregnant after 36 weeks (she had five periods in this time) and she only actually had to knowingly be pregnant for three months (I highly recommend this course of action for men and women alike :D). The child did have a ridiculous knack of kicking me in the back while I slept, keeping both of us awake for weeks at a time :mad:

She never really got morning sickness, she did have the wee-wee's though. Every 10 minutes.

14. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, the non-stop kicking has stopped for now. Now it seems the little Bean only kicks when I sit a certain way, which I can avoid for the most part.

I can't wait until the kicks are so hard they can wake up my partner. :D

15. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait till you get to about week 33 and there's more baby, and less fluid to cushion the blows! :eek:

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on a cross-continental flight last week. Since I was on the aisle in the very back row, next to the restrooms, I developed a smiling acquaintance with the pregnant (looked to be early third trimester) lady who made roughly 87 trips past me.

17. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Are you in the phase when the baby is awake/asleep? Skizette while "cooking" (and even now) had the bloody worst times to be awake. normally 11pm - 2am then 8am - 10am. At least those were the most annoying.

18. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Right now, there is no sleep time. There is only "kickkickkick OH, my bad mom, did you want to sleep? KICKICKICK" time. :D

Hat tip to DeadFingers for this very amusing (at least to me :D) blog by a labor and deliver nurse - http://itsababynotbrainsurgery.blogspot.com.

19. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A twenty-something weeker showed up last night, with the very concerned father-of-the-baby, complaining of vaginal bleeding and passing clots. This, never being a good scenario, demanded immediate attention. I put her on the fetal monitor and am able to get a good tracing of the baby, who appears to be quite well. Next come the questions.

"When did the bleeding start?"

"About a couple hours ago."

"Did you wear a pad in?"

"Yes but there was nothing on it"

"Were you having bleeding that's heavy like a period?"
    (At this point her doctor has wandered into the room and is standing patiently by the bed.)

"Not really, mostly just some spotting and clots."

When was the last time you had sex?

"Valentine's Day."

Since this was nearly a week prior, I quickly rule it out as the immediate cause of her bleeding. The doc has now poked and prodded his way around assessing her belly and is asking me for a sterile glove.

He goes to examine her and starts pulling out large clots. But wait. Are they clots?

On further inspection, perhaps they are strawberries.

"Honey, did you put strawberries in your vagina?" I ask.

She looks at her companion sheepishly. He answers for her. "I guess we forgot about those."

Needless to say, I am eating my Cheerios plain this morning.

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Excellent reading. I forwarded the link to my daughter who is in nursing school and wanting to be a midwife.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My big sis was bedridden for almost her entire 1st pregnancy. The only time she got up was to go puke in the toilet.

If men were given the task to carry on the species, we would've been overtaken by ants thousands of yrs. ago.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, but we would have damn good maternity leave and daycare at most jobs.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on my wife's experience, you might want to be sure you have extra pillows and cushions handy around the eight month. She had the hardest damn time finding a comfortable position to sleep in. It took of bit of engineering to create a comfortable nest.

24. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a bit worried about the sleeping bit - I'm already insanely uncomfortable. :(

If it only gets worse from here, I'm in trouble heh.

25. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll get a little easier when the baby drops. Call it the calm before the storm.