So with all the talk of the possibility of a stadium..

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Tigereye, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a good place for it. Lengthens the trip from the House of Lou about 3-5 miles so it's not a big deal. In fact I think the trip out 288 from inside the loop is about as easy a trip as you can get, better then I-10 or I-45 in any direction, so it might actually be easier to get to this then Delmar.

Sorry, but that means it's too good to be true. :p

2. NDS10

NDS10 Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Can't say I'm happy about this . . . :(

3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its better than some of the other suggestions (via Channel 13...wtf do they know?) Webster, Sugarland, Katy? I'll take 288 & B8 over that any day. Still dreaming about that MMP location, though! :cool:

4. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais
    FOR
    Cheap land
    Plenty of it
    Probably a government entity with some bucks to spend.
    It's our SSS

AGAINST
    Second-tier location (all other pro franchises have prime downtown)
    No public transportation (not even on the drawing board)
    5 minutes from Reliant? Maybe at 4 AM. What about a 6PM weekday game?

PERSONAL
    For me, this is as bad as the Woodlands
    EZTag bill will cut into beer money :(

5. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I think this is alot closer then the Woodlands. I can see the Houston downtown from Beltway 8 and 288 I now I cant see crap from the Woodlands.

6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my biggest beaf with it....how are you supposed to gain legitimacy when you are shoved into the 'burbs? I still want a central location. Delmar counts (close nough...)

7. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if they count as a pro team, but the Texans don't play downtown.

8. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais

That's why I didn't count 'em :D But they're an expansion team, so give em a break and let them play inside the loop. Look what happened to the Astro's once they moved.

So I guess Pearland is 3rd-tier.

9. Wildcatter Orange

Wildcatter Orange New Member

Jan 25, 2006

Pearland proper is about 13 miles from Robertson Stadium ... site near Beltway and 288 would be closer than that, maybe 10 miles?

The Woodlands is a good 30 miles from downtown with a lot more traffic, so Pearland would be much, much closer.

I think this site would be awesome. Plenty of room for surrounding soccer fields, decent parking and great access. Plus, land would be much cheaper than downtown so more money could go into making the stadium nice.

Who is rumored to be involved? Pearland ISD? Pearland EDC?? Both?

If you live right next door to Robertson, you could get to Beltway and 288 in about 20 minutes. That's too far to drive to see the Dynamo??

10. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Less than 20 minutes.

The more I think about it, the more I'm open to it. Not much more than I'm driving now to Robertson. Better than Webster, wherever that is.

11. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I think about bang for the buck, the better it looks to me. We could have a nice stadium out there for the cost of land downtown.

Even though we wouldn't foot the bill for the whole thing, someone will. And any buck that doesn't go into the house is a corner we have to fudge to make it look good. That's not what I want! Dag-nabit!

Dynamo!

12. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Last night in pretty bad traffic (Friday, 6:00) it took me 10 minutes to go from Reliant to 288 & Beltway 8.

Not bad, I'm all for the location if downtown and Delmar aren't possible... it may actually be easier to get to than Delmar.

13. KJL473

KJL473 New Member

May 27, 2006
    Livingston
    Since I have to drive down from Livingston I would much prefer a Delmar or downtown site. I guess Pearland would be a better site then some of the others that have been floating around as long as the game doesn't occur at a time when there is bad traffic.

14. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Check this out from the city of Pearland. you will have to paste it. Potential major sport venues.

http://www.cityofpearland.com/vertical/Sites/{CA80BAF8-A883-4878-AB6D-7FC8DAE7D62E}/uploads/{D0C2F1FC-E88F-4E49-9DD7-F8298D6939DC}.PDF

15. KJL473

KJL473 New Member

May 27, 2006
    Livingston
    What is all this about exploring the possibility of tolls on 288? I was up in Dallas and found out the hard way all about trying to get out of a stadium using a toll road and I certainly don't want to have to do that down here.

16. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    were did you find that about tolls on 288? please give us source?

17. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFAIK that was about 290, not 288.

18. KJL473

KJL473 New Member

May 27, 2006
    Livingston
    This is from page 29 of the PDF file that Ricker posted above. They make it sound like additional toll roads are an option. I figured one of you might have heard if this is the case or not since I live way north of town.

19. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    they are talking about having a toll road down the middle of 288 for people that want to pay for it. You dont have to take the toll road you can stay on 288.

20. BluebrotherX7

BluebrotherX7 New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Missouri City
    How about old Tang City Mall? It's not that far if they have to use a suburban location.

21. KJL473

KJL473 New Member

May 27, 2006
    Livingston
    That wouldn't be too bad then. As I said before, I am from Livingston and usually don't pay that much attention to construction projects in the city.

22. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI to answer a few questions posed:

1. Webster is a small town just south of Clear Lake East of I-45 along Bay Area Blvd (near Baybrook Mall)

2. The land in the Southwest corner of BW-8 & 288 is already spoken for - it is being developed into a huge master-planned community - mixed-use both residential and commercial. Focused on bio-tech industries.

I'm not sure who the land in the northeast and northwest corners of that intersection belong to, but it could likely be annexed by Pearland in order to make sure the stadium is actually in Pearland as part of the stadium deal.

It is interesting that they put the idea of a "future site of a major professional sports stadium" in their slideshow. That probably just means that they have been in talks with the Dynamo FO about it. My hunch is that this could pan out into the final location unless OL can pull a great deal out of a downtown location.

23. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Chris I think you are correct. Is not a bad location.

24. Wildcatter Orange

Wildcatter Orange New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    I was in Pearland Friday night for a high school playoff game. The school district's stadium is large and in good shape but old. It's off of Texas 35, several miles from 288. But it, too, is surrounded by new housing developments ... I'm guessing residents don't always appreciate the bright lights and stream of cars on game days.

Would Pearland ISD be interested in a new stadium more central to the area's growth along 288? Don't know the answer there. But it's clear from driving around the area that Pearland is booming much like Sugar Land did 20 years ago.

25. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

Yes they are with 2 new high schools coming in they need a new stadium.