So with all the talk of the possibility of a stadium..

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Tigereye, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that's his point, there's not much they could do because it was UH's stadium. With ours, we wouldn't have to worry about them, unless we decide to let high schools play there too, and hopefully that wouldn't happen before playoff games.

2. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais
    Trying to get it right....

1. For the lines...whatever happened to chalk? I've seen pro baseball and football teams sharing a venue, and (except for the infield dirt), the markings never indicated a permanent preference for either game.

2. Not a lot of trouble in the stands that I've seen. But, like you said on bottle caps, sometimes they're in, sometimes not. It's the ever-changing rules that are a problem. And some of those rules may make sense for a college football program that's only drawn 15k in their heyday, but not for a professional soccer team that's regularly outdrawing them, and plays more games in the stadium. No horns? Come on!

3. Now, on to my favorite subject...beer :D
    I spoke with a lady that runs a concession. They turn over 60% of their gross sales. So let's do the math on my $7 beer, and assume you're right on the UH/Dynamo 50/50 split.
    Beer: $7
    To UH/Dynamo (60%): $4.20 ($2.10 each)
    To Aramark: $2.80 That's a pretty good markup on a draft or tallboy.

Guess I should be thankful we're not playing at Baylor.

3. Yogs

Yogs New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Webster TX?

Saw on the news last night that Webster, Pearland and Sugarland are all in discussions with OL about building a stadium........Webster City have apparantly gone as far as studying the PHP setup...............

Oh dear............

PHP is a decent facility - but its the most soul-less stadium Ive ever been in - and Ive been in a few across NA and Europe........great facilities, terrible location and terrible local fan base.......Sunday was their record crowd at PHP - and it was only 22k!! Just as well so many Dynamo fans turned up or it would have been really poor.......the drive out of town just went on forever.......

A 4 sided stadium with the stands close to the pitch - square, no running track, roof and atmospheric.......30k will do for starters.......with one end designated the home end for the Texian Army and El Battalion. No stage for concerts thankyou........really kills the atmosphere.....

If OL and the rest of the Dynamo organisation want a fan base which is predominantly made up of soccer Moms and families then building a stadium out of Houston in the burbs is the right way to go. However, I hope they realise that when the chips are down, when the team goes through a bad spell (which it inevitably will), the soccer Moms and families will soon drift off and disappear.......it will be only the real fans who are left.....and I fear we will lose many of them should we move out of the city to the burbs........however, I fear that The Dynamo organisation (coaching staff and players excepted) will ignore the real fans and want the family orientated crowd..........

Ask the players who they would rather play in front of......that will tell you all you need to know...........who was it they ran to after the playoff wins?? Was it the main stand with the organisation bigwigs and families.......no - they ran to the real fans behind the goal...........

Dynamo need a Stadium in the City - one that fans from all corners of Houston can access easily - one where the die-hards will turn up every week, making it a noisy, rowdy atmosphere, and one where opposing teams fear to tread........

You dont get that with Soccer Moms in the burbs.........

Cheeers
    Yogs

4. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Re: Webster TX?

Webster has to much traffic down 45 south. you can reach pearland thur beltway 8 and 288 and pearland Parkway much easier to get to Pearland then Webster.

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

Pearland isn't any better of an option than any of the other suburbs. Just because you live there doesn't mean it's a good place to build the stadium.

6. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm starting to sound a bit like a broken record but I'll say it again.

The Dynamo may not have as many choices as we'd like them to have when it comes to where they build a stadium.

While most everyone on this forum agrees that a central location would be best, be prepared for the possibility of a stadium in the suburbs due to financial considerations, land considerations, etc....

I agree on the layout of PHP though. I'd like to see a more traditional European layout here (4 sides, all covered, open pitch) with max capacity of 24,000 to 25,000.

7. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

It may not be a good place but its easier to get to then Webster and closer.

8. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pearland is definitely more accessible than Webster for most of the city (I live in Katy so no favoritism here), since it's right off of BW-8 and 288.

A little further out than I'd prefer, but pretty accessible from most freeways. The BW makes outlying areas more accessible to Houstonians than PHP is in Frisco. Our tollways are finished at least.

I still think downtown is the place if they can swing it.

9. TomClare

TomClare Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

So now we are classified into groups are we? And just what is a real fan in your opinion? Myself and my wife plus lots of other fans around us have attended every home game this season, and travelled up to Frisco for the Final. Because we prefer to sit where we do in the main stand does that make us any less of a Dynamo fan than the "barmy army" behind the goal? It doesn't matter where you sit in the stadium - we're all fans of the Dynamo and support them as much as anybody else.

10. Highway 6

Highway 6 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin

Just dreaming here. Knock down the Astrodome and put it right there. When we have really big games we move over to Reliant stadium. Then we build the best trainig and youth facilities in the country over at the Astroworld complex. Don't they still have a pedestrian bridge from the parking area? And while we are at it, the owner of the Texans sees the huge promise of world football and buys the team. Nice Dream?

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium info in other threads

Just for grins, here are some of the older threads:

This one has lots of info about all sorts of venues (e.g., Dome) and potential locations:

This one discusses the downtown location tip from a source that has been reliable in the past:

This one is about the entry by Bernardo Fallas at the Chron's Soccer y Futbol blog -- leave a message if you haven't yet:

12. f a B u L o s O

Nov 6, 2006
    Heights
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think what Yogs was trying to convey was that the fans that organize in large numbers get the players attention because it's them that are bringing a sense of artillery fire in the game. I don't think he was trying to create some sort of cast system of fans. We all put our heart, energy and contributions to our Dynamo. I am like you ~TC, I am not in the pit with the Texian army and El Batallon but I appreciate them. Every time I speak to my buddies about Dynamo soccer, I talk about those fanatics. :D I sit on the east side of the field on a regular basis, but when they spark it up my side follows suit. I love it. I would venture to say that a great percentage of that spark lives inside the loop.

In the end, I am willing to travel where the team decides to set roots. I have been to every Dynamo home game minus 1 (because I was out of the country) But I have to be honest, I would love to see a European style stadium. I had the awesome pleasure of going to Camp Nou in Barcelona a month ago; that 100K-seat stadium is inside the city limits and from what the people that I spoke to is pretty much sold out for every game. City models can work, and I would love for Houston to be the first MLS Franchise to have its Soccer specific stadium downtown.

13. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais

I didn't miss a game either. And season tickets are in the west stands. I don't think that TA/EB have a lock on fandom.

Why not a bunch of supporters clubs, scattered around the stadium. The south goal had a little drumming group that made some decent noise the last few games, and there's a rowdy group of little kids banging those inflatable sticks (accompanied by the dreaded Soccer Mom's).

So why don't we all try and put together some supporters groups in our section of the stadium. You don't have to stand and sing ALL night, but flags, smoke, and flares coming from all over the stadium on a Dynamo golazo would be pretty impressive.

14. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with all that. I love EB/TA and have tried sitting with them, especially at the 2 regular season Dallas games. But I have to concentrate too much on the game and don't want to worry so much about which cheer we're going to be doing next, and those flags, while they look great from a distance, take a lot of work to keep flying all night (or during the day, like in the 110º Dallas game) and really block your view if somebody else is waving one in front of you. I appreciate how those guys sacrifice for the team.

But I do yell as loud as anybody in the supporters' groups and would really like to stand most of the game. I do leap to my feet at the slightest bit of excitement. And I would like to think we help spread that sort of spirit around the rest of the stadium. And I too have seen the groups of people leading cheers in other sections, going crazy and all. There's always that one group of shirtless guys, there's several drummers, and a row of people that stand and lead cheers over at the south end of the east side. That's great and its getting even better.

Man, I JUST CAN'T WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!!!! :D

15. ORANGER!!

ORANGER!! Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chron Blog: Is Houston ready for a soccer-specific stadium?

redevelop Robertson sounds good, if MLS could start the season in jan. or feb. and end before sept. so that we won't be all mix up with UH's Football stuff.....and since it'll be redevelop, i'm sure the rat and bathrooms problems will be fix.....Robertson is an awesome location. also, we can have a large support of the students body 2 come out for the game...and when the sport got big and popular in this city, money wont be a problem anymore, then we can go on and have ourselves a huge 50 000+ capacity stadium in downtown w/ removable roof a/c and every freaking awesome things that you could think of.
    on another note, UH now doent have a male soccer team, maybe we can make a deal with them on helping building a team that can also tie with our youth developement program.....and use thier practice facilities.

16. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Will never happen unless UH says, "Dynamo, you now own Robertson." This team will never be profitable unless they get a SSS and that is a requirement from the league. They will be building a stadium it is just a matter of when and where.

17. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To answer the name of this blog, I refer everyone to yesterday's party at City Hall and the TA/EB (and others, really) chanting to the mayor, "Where's our stadium?"

Part of me is slightly more worried now that AEG is keepin the Dynamo, while another part is also a little relieved.......this could either be extremely awesome for us, or disaster....I dunno....they havent messed up LA and Chicago yet, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing (well, LA is messed up by default :p Everything in LA is messed up)

18. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

AEG is very smart and I am actually more relieved that AEG will be in charge. I know San Jose is bent at AEG but it was the right business move to move the team to Houston.

AEG understands the MLS and wants to continue to grow the league. I am lot more relieved in AEG having this team than Club America or another owner who "does not get the league." Look what has happened to Colorado since AEG sold them. AEG regrets selling to a guy in Colorado that could care less about soccer in America.

19. Lemuel

Lemuel Member

Nov 14, 2006
    HOU

I've said it before and I’ll say it again, I truly hope the Dynamo’s build near the downtown area. 1. It creates a sense the city embraces the Team 2. I think the Dynamos should be amongst the 4 sports in the downtown area (Rockets, Astros, and Texans) 2. And most importantly it’s close to my home.

But seriously though I hope to God that the Dynamo’s continue to build on the team We have. I think our currency (American Dollars) is strong enough to go out on the market and recruit quality young foreign player as well. I really like to see the Dynamo’s compete on the international level and produce quality wins.

20. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Here's an article from the houstonpress about the team's issues at Robertson, some of them aren't really that bad but some illustrate why we need our own stadium.

http://www.houstonpress.com/blogs/?p=340

That's some missed revenue for the team and a good chance to bring in new fans.

The lines to me are more of an annoyance, but I didn't realize they kept us off of national TV during the playoffs.

21. Dynamo_Joe

Dynamo_Joe Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Yeah, I guess the football lines at the HD (a SSS) must have kept the Gals/Goats from getting on TV. I guess those football lines from RFK didn't bother network execs when DCU was shown on national TV during the season. Grass pallets were used for the playoffs. I guess the Dynamo could have used Reliant for the playoffs but then I guess it means more lost revenue.
    UH has been a good partner for the Dynamo while they work on getting their own stadium. It hasn't been without its problems I am sure but other than the rough start, I think it has worked out nicely.

Missed revenue.... hmmm I guess missed hosting of motocross and X games events cut down on revenue as well.

Lets face it, whenever the Dynamo get their own digs, it really won't be their own digs. Whatever city (houston, webster, katy, Pearland,etc) helps pay for it will want their school district to hold events at the shiny new stadium. So yes, there will be football lines on it. Yes there will be dead grass patches on it from motocross or other x game type events on it. Yes, concerts will sound crappy at it. But I guess the fans can say "its our house!" but it really wont be.

I watched quite a few Gals/Chivas matches on DirectKick and the field at Robertson stadium fared a lot better than HDC.

22. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I've never seen football lines during a Chivas or Galaxy game, and RFK is shared with a baseball team so I'm not sure why they would have football lines. If you want to be a UH apologist at least use facts.

And while the surface at Robertson has been good most of the time there were a few weeks during the summer that it was pretty terrible and the teams had to avoid using the center of the field.

23. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn

Yeah you guys seem to have so much support from the local media it makes me jeallous. For you guys to put a stadium out of the city in the suburbs would be a killer. You def. need to capitalize on all that support and put it downtown or something. It would be so much more beneficial.

24. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

You'll never hear any of us in Chicago say that. Maybe if OL does a real good job and moves up the AEG Corp. ladder, you can have J. Guppy when AEG sells us (please Lord, hear my prayer!).

25. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    From Dave Maggards blog:
    http://uhcougars.cstv.com/ot/maggard-blog.html

Nothing too new here, it looks like Aramark is taking a nice cut out of the concessions though.

It seems like he's happy with the Dynamo and wants them to stay.