So who do we cheer with?

Discussion in 'San Jose Supporters Clubs' started by AllDayLong, Jul 4, 2010.

1. AllDayLong

AllDayLong New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Part-time reader, first time poster. Been attending Quakes games since last season and am in the process of making my roommate a fan. We've sat in the cheap seats every game we've been there. It just so happened tonight we were inbetween the Ultras and the Casbah and we began to notice that every time the Casbah started their own song, the Ultras would drown it out with their own song. Now, maybe this is just how things are supposed to work and my newbish self doesn't know any better, but is there some feud going on or something? I noticed the Casbah joining in on Ultras songs, so it looked to us like the Ultras don't like it when anyone except them start the chants and songs. It started to look more like a competiton between the two groups than fans uniting to cheer on the squad. Can anyone further explain this for me?

Edit: Oops, didn't realize there was a Supporter Group forum. Mods, please move.

2. TonyHarrison

TonyHarrison Member

Sep 7, 2008
    San Francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the only thing i love more than this post is that nobody has replied to it in 4 days or so.

3. AllDayLong

AllDayLong New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Meh, was just an observation from a couple new fans, something I thought this fanbase and this league in general was interested in gaining. Might seem like a stupid question to veterans but there were more than a few newbies in my section who were commenting on/were confused by the whole situation as well. Go ahead and hate on rather than educate though, it is what it is.

4. TonyHarrison

TonyHarrison Member

Sep 7, 2008
    San Francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the joke is that EVERYONE seems to be confused by the situation, hence no forthcoming explanation.

wasn't mean spirited, mate, you can tell by the lack of swearing.

5. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    since the casbah was never really my style of supporter group, i stuck with the ultras. but i cant understand why it always seems like they wont budge on chants.

i really miss that back and forth chant they had not too long ago between the two groups.

6. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than an observation toward the fanbase, I think it should be toward our FO (Montez I hope you reading this), since they were the ones with the "genius idea" of placing the two SGs in the same section.

But I guess the "comun sense" doesn't apply to our fan's relation dpt. when it comes to SGs two are better than one, sadly for the Quakes is the other way around.

7. AllDayLong

AllDayLong New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Apologies for the misunderstanding up there, but back to the topic at hand and from what I've gathered poking around here, it sounds like the front office doesn't really have a clue (being a Sharks/Raiders/A's fan, I should be used to that by now). Surely they could see the differing styles of both groups and the tension that it could possibly create. I was waiting for some kind of fight between the Ultras Megaphone Man and the Casbah Drum Guy. There were some pretty dirty looks being exchanged. I'm not opposed to either one of them though, I chanted with and will continue to chant with both.

8. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this some kind of shit stiring type of a thread ?

I personally know both guys you are refering to and I for one consider them my friends and I can asure you, that there no way and no point of starting to get fisical.
    We all trying to be the best there is when it comes to support our Quakes

9. AllDayLong

AllDayLong New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just saying it started to look a bit tense. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of everything.

10. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who, me?? Dan and I get on just fine. Must be another drum guy (we have a number of 'em).

The purgatory between the Casbah and Ultras will always be a weird one, because our groups have always done our own thing, and now we are forced to behave as two bands on the same stage - not the easiest thing to do. Especially with a bit of adult beverage added (the IPA is quite good).

But we continue to respect each other, and work together on behalf of the team. But we won't throw our respective identities for some homogenized hybrid with one or two songs repeated all game. So the weird purgatory will continue. Should have a reduced price on beer for those people.

11. AllDayLong

AllDayLong New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Thanks all, I have a much better understanding now. Go Quakes!

12. SanJoseUltras

SanJoseUltras Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are still confused what group to cheer with between the Casbah and the Ultras, I would probably suggest you cheer with Club Quake. There's no problem between Ultras and Casbah, or the megaphone man and the drum men. In fact we were friends and we traveled and partied together for years.. So stop wasting our time and try to stir shit on an internet board.

13. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard La doce is very good group to join

14. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they even still around?

15. AllDayLong

AllDayLong New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Alright guys, it's apparent that I haven't gotten off to the best start on these forums. Let me restate that it was never my intention to stir shit up here, but looking back, I had some pretty poor word choices that made it look like I was. Bottom line is that I was wrong and for that I deeply and sincerely apologize to not only the members of this forum, but to all the members of the Ultras and the Casbah. I did not mean to villify any of you. In hindsight, this thread wasn't the brightest idea and had I known the situation a bit better, I would not have brought this up in the first place. Regardless, I hope to contribute in a more useful manner in the future. Go Quakes!

16. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the spirit !

Anyways welcome to these forums, you will be surprised how sometimes, one small thing it become a nightmare, but in the end we all get used to it, after all we are rooting for the same team.

Again welcome aboard !

GO QUAKES !

17. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows...even better who cares :D

18. AlexLallos

AlexLallos Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Monterey CA
    Try standing with both and then decide... The Ultras are hardcore, sing, stand, cheer, and waive flags all game long...Very European!

The Casbah are really fun guys and girls who support the Quakes, stand all game, and also get their chant on

19. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And also get their drink on. Get over to the tailgate before the game and see.

20. AllDayLong

AllDayLong New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not too keen on getting drunk at sporting events anymore. Been there many times before and I kinda prefer to remember what I watched the next day. I'm all about making noise though, gotta get the homefield advantage going. I might just do what I did last time and cheer with both... but mainly ******** with the opposing keeper when he's in our end. :)

Plus if I'm drunk when those bastard Sounders fans come to town again, I'll probably end up in jail. Hate em, I had to sit in Section F last year when they came in. The fact that we won 4-0 and seeing their faces afterwards was nice, but sitting right below that shit was awful.

21. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Sounds like an ultra to me.

22. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AllDayLong, check your PM :cool:

23. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They enjoy solid and liquid projectiles hurled in their direction.

24. swiftys72

swiftys72 Member

Feb 14, 2008

Personally you sound like an Ultra from reading this post. I like it!

25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Unfortunately, they'll(shittle) be in section A(or so I've read) so unless the Ultras have a good arms....

It is, however, hysterical that our ticket guys put them in the worst seats in the stadium, practically in the concessions area.(and as far away from the ultras as possible, probably for their safety)