So....What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by carolinab, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Re: I'm reading ...

I liked it, it was a good book.

2. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I'll pick it up in a couple of weeks. I owe it to myself, after all doesn't it take place in Grosse Pointe? (my hometown)

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Yes.

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reading George RR Martin. A Game of Thrones. Pretty good stuff.

5. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-reading Jim Bouton's "Ball Four".

Next up is Jim Brosnan's "The Long Season".

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    An Equal Music by Vikram Seth.

7. 6262

6262 New Member

May 6, 2004
    Arlington
    Hitting the Hippie stuff pretty hard at the moment

Started up Ethics for the New Millenium by the Dalai Lama, after coming down from the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (which appealed to me more than Narnia ever managed to...oh it tried and failed so very hard)

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Finished what I listed above. I'm currently reading another Robert Bly poetry anthology: The Soul is Here For Its Own Joy: Sacred Poems from Many Cultures and a book called The Life You Save May Be Your Own, by Paul Elie, which is about four 20th Century U.S. Catholic writers: Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, Flannery O'Connor, and Walker Percy. Very interesting, considering it's a group biography of people who have quite a bit in common, but whose lives didn't intersect with each other all that often, at least to the extent that the Beat writers did.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading Selected Essays by Fr. Michael Pomazansky.

Here's the description from a website:

In this collection of sixteen essays Fr. Michael Pomazansky examines and evaluates the errors of modernism which today agitate world-wide Orthodoxy. These humble and gentle, yet penetrating essays lack the angry tone of some writers, and are therefore all the more valuable for today's reader. This volume also contains a short biography of Fr. Michael, who died in 1988 at the age of 100. He graduated from a pre-Revolutionary Russian seminary, and was for many years Professor of Theology at Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville, New York.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. LucciAficionado

LucciAficionado New Member

May 5, 2002
    Hayward
    I have been reading the Harry Potter books. I didn't read the first one but I read year 2 and 3 in less than a week. There is one thing I didn't understand from the prisioner of azkaban though. If someone could answer that would be cool.

After Harry and Herminonie let Buckbeak free, what did the executioner and the ministry of majic do, just let it slide? I think I put the book down and skipped a paragraph by accident though. I will be starting the Goblet of Fire tomarrow or sunday. Now I know why my sister says they are addicting.

Broccoli
    Dolores

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son tells me that McNair, the executioner, slams his ax into a tree stump and Cornelius Fudge talks to Hagrid about it, but there isn't really much they could do. The kids just got away with it.

12. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Yup. They never know Harry and Hermione were involved. They assumed that the hippogriff worked free from his rope and flew away. I can't wait for the 6th book. The 5th one left so many questions hanging. Granted, I didn't start reading them until about a year ago, so I guess I just got accustomed to having the next book readily available.

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Suttree by Cormac McCarthy

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, if that's not the most Irish name I've heard all day :D

15. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just plowed through Bringing Down the House, about the MIT students who took Vegas for millions. Told a teacher across the hall about it and he said, there is no way to count cards in Vegas. I told him to read the book.

Also, read through Rubicon, a historical fiction bit about a murder in Rome; the two warring factions of Casear and Pompey play major roles in the book. Started off intriguing but then dovetailed near the end.

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read some interesting stuff online about the possible veracity of the stories in the book. Regardless, it's an incredible read.

I'm struggling through [​IMG].

Just can't get too into it, but I have made it halfway and want to finish. With summer and writing, it's hard to get into a groove.

17. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a pretty good show about this (or something like this) on the Travel Channel a couple of weeks ago.

18. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Dusted off and read an old College Classic. Machiavelli's The Prince

I had forgotten how good that was.

I then hit the bestseller's list.......

I read The Five People You Meet In Heaven , Seabiscuit and I am currently reading Benjamin Franklin

19. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That silly movie starring Brad Pitt's thighs has made me want to reread the Illiad. I was force fed in 9th grade English and didn't hate it, but I never really got the sense that I got much out of it either.

Does anyone have any recommendations among the half dozen or more translations currently in print?

20. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been on my list for a while. Might get to it once I finish Brilliant Orange which, given my interest in the material so far, might be very soon.

21. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Finally finished this. It's 800 or so pages, but really fairly quick reading. I've just been busy with a bunch of other random stuff and didn't have much time to sit down with it. Very enjoyable book. For those who have read the first one, I would say this one is heavier on the swashbuckling adventure stuff and lighter on the Natual Philosophy discussions.

22. amek33

amek33 New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Newton, MA
    I just finished the "DaVinci Code"
    I liked it a lot but really don't see why it freaked out christians...it's clearly fiction...it was smart & intelligent and I learned things from it. I am looking forward to David Sedaris' new book, should be out on June 1st.

23. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial