So....What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by carolinab, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I have another book to lend you. It's called "A Walking New Yorker's Guide to Soju".

Comes out next month from the acclaimed publisher, Simon & Sh!tfaced. :D

2. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New to the thread ..... I am currently reading Louise de la Valliere by Alexandre Dumas

On a Dumas kick recently ... Read The Count of Monte Cristo (which is my favorite book of all time), then The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, then Vitcomme de Braglione ... and will read The Man in the Iron Mask if I ever get through Louise de la Valliere (kind of having a hard time picking the book up, fourth book with the same characters and the writing really is not as smart or sharp as in The Three Musketeers)

I am also in the middle of The Miracle of Castel di Sangro and plan on finishing that when I leave for the Bahamas on Saturday. I am also bringing Playing the Moldovans at Tennis with me ... seems like a vacation book.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about to start Silence by Shusaku Endo.

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kept it mad real tho.

5. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Finished Tad Willams' "War Of The Flowers". Now reading Stephen Baxter's "Moonseed" and Tom Clancy's "The Sum of All Fears."

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I returned the two previous books and picked up A Good Scent From a Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler. Read some on the way home, good stuff.

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Started reading The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford, who is an eloquent writer.

8. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Just started a re-read of William Gibson's Virtual Light. Just finished Guy Vanderhaeghe's The Last Crossing.

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    While The Good Soldier is very well written, I could not get into the story.

So I started on A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines.

10. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
  11. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    the archies!! i cant seem to let go of them!!

12. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Even thought it was well written, I could not get into A Lesson Before Dying.

So today I will start Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson which I picked-up a library spring book sale.

13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought it used a few years ago and had a very similar response. It flows along well enough, but I didn't feel like it was really going anywhere interesting.

I just started Europe's Last Summer: Who Started the Great War in 1914? by David Fromkin. As noted in the prologue, a great many elements of the modern world came into being as immediate or long term consequenses of WWI, and there's apparently been a lot of new research in recent decades.

14. amek33

amek33 New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Newton, MA
    I just read a great non-fiction book called "Rats". I heard the author interviewed on NPR...he hung out in an alley off of Fulton Street in NYC (pretty close to where the WTC was), and observed rats for a year...he goes off on tangents, ie: how rats arrived to America, the plague, trapping rats... he interviews exterminators...it's really a good book. The author doesn't particularly like rats, he's just interested in their impact and just how many of them there are around. He's got a dry sense of humor ("if you are in New York... you are within close proximity to one or more rats having sex")...I never thought I'd like a book about rats so much!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1582343853.01._PE30_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

15. DeGregorus

DeGregorus Member

Oct 24, 1999
    Seis Esquinas
    Someone earlier mentioned reading more than one book at once?
    Last summer, I finaly got around to reading Dubliners by James Joyce.
    After finishing each story, I'd go back to reading one of the Ian Rankin mysteries. Black & Blue I think. It helped getting through a very hot spell in July to read stories where the weather was either feckin cauld or the rain was pishin ' doon.
    I'm in re-reading mode. I'm more than halfway through The Rugby War, by Peter FitzSimmons. a former Australian Team second row forward who writes for the Sydney Morning Herald. His book details the professionalization of Rugby Union, and involves a struggle between Rupert Murdoch's allies and Kerry Packer's.
    I just got in "Visual and Statistical Thinking: Displays OF Evidence For Making Decisions" be Edward Tufte, an excerpt from his book Visual Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narration
    If all this heavyweight stuff doesn't drive me to a Kinky Friedman novel, I think I want to re-read The Myth of The Paperless Office
    Damn, forgot the author's name.
    btw.
    Has anyone read a book called The Star Spangled Mirror by Richard J. Kerry?
    Yes he is the Senator's dad, and was a foreign service officer.

16. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I just picked up the The Confusion, the second volume of Stephenson's "Baroque Cycle" from the library. I enjoyed Quicksilver quite a bit, although some parts much more than others. It will be interesting to see how all the different stories continue on in this one.

17. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I have enjoyed what I have read so far (I am on page 166).

I do agree that it will be interesting to see how the different stories continue in the second and third volumes of the Baroque cycle.

Let me also mention that while reading Quicksilver I keep thinking of Carl Sandburg's Remembrance Rock because both books are historical fiction and have a somewhat similar style.

18. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started The Mansion over the weekend. It's the finale of Faulkner's Snopes trilogy and the 2nd to last novel he wrote.

19. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Minor aside to Jose L. Cuoso: Are retired, or just a wickedly fast speedreader?

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no doubt. i've wondered the same thing.

21. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    2 hours per day at about 40 pages per hour.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've been doing a bunch of heavy slow reading for a class that I might be teaching next year. First, The Pound Era by major literary scholar Hugh Kenner, about the influence of Ezra Pound on modern poetry, and in line with that, some of Pound's translations, and chunks of his Cantos. And while I thought that his Iron John was quite possibly the dumbest book I've ever tried to read, Robert Bly is a good translator and a great anthologist, so I've been reading the poems he put in his Sierra Club anthology called News of the Universe: Poems of Twofold Consciousness. After a semester of reading half-assed freshman essays, I think I would even enjoy a volume or two of Hegel right about now.

23. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Martha Grimes, "The Old Fox Deceiv'd"

24. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Re: I'm reading ...

How is this book so far? I have heard mixed reviews.

25. amek33

amek33 New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Newton, MA
    I thought "Middlesex" was very good...I had heard it reviewed a long time ago, and bought it this winter...it's a good story, pretty easy to read & follow, you get to know the characters pretty well, and there aren't sooo many characters that it becomes complex. There is a lot of factual information presented, so you can learn a bit from it as well.