So...what are you reading (Vol VI)

Discussion in 'Books' started by chazsoccer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

the final book in the Heir series...all three are really good, and a refeshing look into wizards and warriors...

2. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    Catfish, Yaz, and Hammerin' Hank: The Unforgettable Era That Transformed Baseball, by Phil Pepe

this is about baseball in the 1970s; decent read, numerous pictures, a bit Yankee-centric if that might bother you.

3. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just finished -

[​IMG]

I've read all of Brookmyre's books and I usually enjoy them immensely. And that was the case with this one. His previous effort, The Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks was good, but not quite at his usual high level.

A Snowball in Hell sees the return of three of his previous characters from different novels. In particular, it was a welcome return for the deliciously evil Simon Darcourt. Brookmyre at his best is the most inventive Scottish crime fiction writer of the last 13yrs.

4. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Extremely funny novel about exactly what it's title suggests.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, An American Town by Warren St. John

I'm about half way through and it's incredible so far. I've read St. John's other book and it was fantastic too. Anyway, this is the story of a youth soccer club (U13s, U15s and U17s) in suburban Atlanta comprised exclusively of refugees. The kids are primarily from Africa, but there's a handful from the Middle East, Asia and Eastern Europe as well. The suburb of Clarkston was transformed in the 1990s from a nearly all-white suburb to one of the most ethnically diverse towns in America in the span of a decade. Refugees from over 50 countries were resettled in Clarkston. It's also the story of the refugees and the townspeople and how they reacted to each other.

6. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Jar-Everymans-Library-Cloth/dp/0375404635/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241448934&sr=8-1#"]Amazon.com: The Bell Jar (Everyman's Library (Cloth)): Sylvia Plath: Books[/ame]

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edwidge Danticat's excellent The Farming of Bones - Revisiting this one. My, how I dislike the Dominican Republic's Trujillo.

Danticat is fantastic, and I read anything I can get my hands on.

9. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vargas-Llosa's "The Feast Of The Goat" was a powerful book dealing with that same subject matter.

10. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    So is The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

11. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is "In The Time Of The Butterflies" by Julia Alvarez.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read them all, plus have my PhD in Latin American history, all of which contribute to me having Trujillo tops on my most hated list - and that is really saying something.

Good books all.

13. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right on time!!! :eek:

14. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was blown away, too.

now reading another book by a person with two X chromosomes

[​IMG]

15. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler

latest in the Dirk Pitt series

16. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six winning days at the track in a row. 3 in one week at Keeneland last month, including the All Stakes Pick 4 on the Blue Grass Stakes, which sent me to the IRS window. Had big days at Churchill Downs on Oaks Day, Derby Day-- My facebook profile pic is me and my $20 win ticket on Mine That Bird that paid $1032, and Wednesday I was 3/4 of a length from a $30K Pick 6 score and had to settle for 3 consos paying $757.80 for 5 out of 6.

I'd say that it's working.

Current handicapping reading:

[​IMG]

17. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    The Oracle by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I reread Geert Mak's in Europe this weekend (as it was such a lovely weekend for reading in the garden in Europe) and it was brilliant the second time as it was the first time. Any of you who are interested in how events in 20th century Europe are all linked in should read this book. It is not a dry history book, it includes many personal accounts of people who were actually there when it happened and it's seriously well written. Non-fiction fans (you know who you are) read this book, I can guarantee that you will like it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Europe-Travels-Through-Twentieth-Century/dp/009951673X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241986969&sr=8-1"]In Europe: Travels Through the Twentieth Century: Geert Mak: Amazon.co.uk: Sam Garrett: Books[/ame]

19. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gumbo-Tales-Finding-Place-Orleans/dp/0393061671/ref=ed_oe_h"]Amazon.com: Gumbo Tales: Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table: Sara Roahen: Books[/ame]

20. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    The Dive by Pipin Ferreras

Good book describing the crazy sport of underwater freediving where divers go down as far as 561 ft on a single breath of air. The focus of the book is about Ferreras' wife Audry Mestre who was a world champion but los her life trying to reach a free diving record.

21. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sure this was going to be a biography of Cristiano Ronaldo.

22. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If that were the case I'm sure the foreword would have been done by Robert Pires...

23. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    Kick the Balls: An Offensive Suburban Odyssey, by Alan Black

A Scottish immigrant takes on an assistant coaching role for a youth soccer team; the book is sarcastically funny at times, crude at others, as Black regales the readers with his version of a season from hell with the worst team ever.

24. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    :D lol

25. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    Just finished the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Awesome book. I don't look at afghanistan the same way anymore, I have a lot more respect for them and their struggles.

I started Water for Elephants recently, although i'm almost done with it as well and it's a great novel written by Sara Gruen. Definitely recommend both of these.

I'll be done in a few days and i'm currently looking for a great follow up to read, any suggestions? Nothing political at the moment, i'm in a fiction novel kick at this time.. :p