So...what are you reading (Vol VI)

Discussion in 'Books' started by chazsoccer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    This is a hell of a book.

2. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I just finished "Breathing In" and "Hell Sucks." This isn't the type of thing that I usually read, but since January '08 I've been reading Everyman's Library hardcovers with the idea that I'd like to re-read some old favorites, some "classics" that are of interest, and some things outside my usual areas. These little hardcovers have great introductions and a really good feel. Dispatches was released in Everyman's Library just last month. It's a great, disturbing read thus far.

Last January I was about to have my first kid and about to turn 40, so reading a couple of books in this series every month was a project I set for myself to refresh my mind a bit. Here's what I've read in the series since 1/08 -- it's quite a hodge-podge, but I've really enjoyed it.

Animal Farm by George Orwell
    The Warden by Anthony Trollope
    The Stranger by Albert Camus
    Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg
    The General in His Labyrinth by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh
    The Awakening by Kate Chopin
    The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce, and Selected Stories by James M. Cain
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
    Utopia by Thomas More
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope
    The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
    A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh
    The Collected Stories by Ernest Hemingway
    The Princess Casamassima by Henry James
    The Iliad by Homer
    Typhoon and Other Stories by Joseph Conrad
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
    The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
    The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
    Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
    The Reef by Edith Wharton
    Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad
    Dubliners by James Joyce
    Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
    Romances (Pericles, Cymbeline, The Winter's Tale, The Tempest) by William Shakespeare

Full lists of what's in the series here:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/classics/
    ...and here:
    http://sevenroads.org/Everyman/Serial.html

I'm always appreciative of suggestions, although I've got the next 15 or so stacked up and waiting for me already (including Thomas Paine, Nikolai Gogol, Saul Bellow, Cormac McCarthy, Thomas Hardy, Jorge Luis Borges, Jonathan Swift, Sylvia Plath, J.S. Mill, Dashiell Hammett, and more Shakespeare, Orwell, Trollope, Camus, and Austen) . :)

3. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went through the same experience when my kids were born. Have fun!

4. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Read Charlie Huston's Already Dead yesterday. Good, tight crime novel. With vampires, but don't let that turn you off. Twilight this is not.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The Life and Music of Nick Cave: An Illustrated Biography by Johannes Beck and Max Dax

6. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    Saturday Rules, by Austin Murphy

A chronicle of the 2006 college football season, with emphasis on the USC and ND seasons therein, as well as stories on the biggest games throughout the year.

Good read, some funny stuff as well.

7. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    A few months ago I googled my mother's mother for grins. This is one of the items I found. It turns out that my little Jewish grandmother was a firebrand radical back in the day. My mother adopted the crazy right wing politics of my father when they married, so I never found out about things like Emma Goldman being a family friend until a few years ago.
    Ah! The wonders of modern technology!

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Pretty interesting stuff so far. Ginsberg's letters aren't as interesting as Jack Kerouac's, but they got more interesting once he started to get around a bit more. Snyder's aren't too bad.

Happy Jack Kerouac's birthday, to anyone who cares.

9. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Just finished this trilogy. First fantasy I've enjoyed in some time. It's nice to read a story like this that doesn't involve the same old elves and orcs.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much time to read lately, so I've gone the short story collection route. My favorite stories from the past couple of weeks:

"The Road Not Taken" by Harry Turtledove, about an alien invasion but with a Napoleonic twist;

"The Tunnel under the World" by Frederik Pohl, about a man who pursues incongruities about his city and does not like what he finds;

"A Work of Art" by James Blish, about a composer brought to life in the future, with a twist on who the artist is;

"A Saucer of Loneliness" by Theodore Sturgeon, wherein 'first contact' is from someone tossing messages into the 'sea' of space.

11. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now I am reading the "Collected Poems of Joyce Kilmer". It also includes a memoir written by his friend and literary executor soon after Kilmer was killed. Unfortunately, the book is very short (Kilmer died at 31) but contains most if not all of his extent poems.

Somewhere I understand there is a volume put together by the same editor of Kilmer's essays and prose, which I need to track down.

I guess I am on a Catholic authors kick of late, having read two of Ron Hansen's novels, rereading Brideshead Revisited and also ordering a biography of Flannery O'Connor, as well as reading Kilmer.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a couple of days off and my name finally percolating to the top of the wait list at the library, I am reading this, which is terrific early on if for nothing else than its wonderful depiction of the Trujillo years:

[​IMG]

13. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bowls-Polls-Tattered-Souls-Controversy/dp/0470049170"]Amazon.com: Bowls, Polls, and Tattered Souls: Tackling the Chaos and Controversy that Reign Over College Football: Stewart Mandel: Books[/ame]

15. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    I am about to read this too, because I put it on a syllabus to give me an excuse to read it.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I'm curious about this, Atouk: does this book mention Lombard College, which was founded in the 1850s and which closed during the great depression? If you can let me know, I'd appreciate it, and I'll definately put this book on my list.

17. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet. The only mention of Universalist colleges thus far is in the opening 44-page "brief historical sketch" that is a short history of Universalism from the beginnings of the church in the US through the 1961 merger with the Unitarians.

p. 33

After the opening historical sketch, the rest of the book is made up of selections from original sources (with brief commentary for context) broken into sections on:

- Forerunners and Founders
    - Universalism of the Enlightenment
    - Universalism on the Frontier
    - Divisions Within
    - The Conscience of Universalism
    - The Challenge of Modernism
    - The Old and the New Universalism
    - The Larger Faith.

I'm just over halfway through the book, but the section titles of the parts I haven't yet read don't seem to indicate further discussion of Universalist-founded universities. I'll provide an update if something pops up.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acts of Worship by Yukio Mishima

I'm going to try to read everything by Mishima that I haven't read yet by the end of '09.

19. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I spend so much time reading history and theory during school that I immediately turn to genre fiction during breaks. At the moment, I'm re-reading Dune.

20. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One could argue that Dune is political theory also.

The spice must flow.

21. JumpinJackFlash

JumpinJackFlash New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Soviet Britannia
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Democracy: The God that Failed. The Economics and Politics of Monarchy, Democracy, and Natural Order.
    [​IMG]

22. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    The Pride and the Pressure: A Season Inside the New York Yankee Fishbowl, by Michael Morrissey

24. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Reading Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex this weekend.