So...what are you reading (Vol VI)

Discussion in 'Books' started by chazsoccer, Feb 20, 2009.

1. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Readers,

I have a request. Could you provide a brief (a word, or a sentence) opinion about the books you read ?

Your opinion matters :D

2. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    Bloody Confused! A Clueless American Sportswriter Seeks Solace in English Soccer

by Chuck Culpepper

Quite entertaining read as Culpepper gradually decides to follow Portsmouth FC after a move to England

3. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I'm about half-way through this, Follett's follow-up to Pillars of the Earth. It's very good, although not on the level of Pillars. That said, I continue to marvel at Follett's masterful abilities of characterization, and he pulls a brilliant about-face in this one a few hundred pages in. He has a tremendous ability to create unique voices, and he moves almost effortlessly from narration to narration. Sublime.

4. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Several years ago I read a novel called Signal to Noise, a techno-thriller with aliens added set a few decades in the future. While I enjoyed it very much, I mostly forgot about it until I ran across this, which is a sequel by the same author. It's off to a strong start so far.

5. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]
    Elaine Pagels-The Gnostic Gospels

I'm still early on. Interesting and informative so far.

6. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever read any James Clavell? King Rat is based on his experiences as a Japanese POW at Changi (near Singapore), Tai-pan and Noble House are Hong Kong books, Shogun is set in Japan, and Gai-Jin is set in Japan but deals with the family from the Hong Kong books. There's a sixth, out of print book in the Asian Saga, Whirlwind, that is set in Iran during the revolution.

7. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I just reread Shogun a few months ago. But I still don't understand; did he write a sequel? It clearly is left unresolved, but I've never been able to figure it out.

Now I'm reading "The Battle For Spain", by Tony Beevor. I've read a good bit about the spanish civil war through hemingway bios and Cuban history, but never read an actual book on the subject. Pretty good, if you like straight history.
    And "The Knight," by Gene Wolfe. Very good. The guy's a much better stylist than you'd expect from a fantasy writer. He's got tons of books in my local library, and he seems to have won every award a fantasy writer could win, but I'd never heard of him. I'll definitely read the sequel.

8. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the books listed above are related - go read the synopsis/reviews on Amazon and see if any appeal to you.

9. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Disinherited-Howard-Thurman/dp/0807010294/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235951469&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Jesus and the Disinherited: Howard Thurman: Books[/ame]

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try Wolfe's The Shadow of the Torturer next. It's terrific.

11. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm re-reading it right now.

The Asian Saga largely revolves around the Struan family and the Noble House, who are main characters in Tai-Pan, Noble House and Gai-Jin, and peripheral characters in Whirlwind. Descendants of the Shogun (set in 1600) characters appear in Gaijin (set in 1875), Noble House (set in 1963) and Whirlwind (1981).

12. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    The Last Patriot by Brad Thor

13. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

by David Wroblewski

[​IMG]

Born mute, speaking only in sign, Edgar Sawtelle leads an idyllic life with his parents on their farm in remote northern Wisconsin. For generations, the Sawtelles have raised and trained a fictional breed of dog whose thoughtful companionship is epitomized by Almondine, Edgar's lifelong friend and ally. But with the unexpected return of Claude, Edgar's paternal uncle, turmoil consumes the Sawtelles' once peaceful home.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312427794"]Amazon.com: Gomorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System: Roberto Saviano, Virginia Jewiss: Books[/ame]

NY Times book review

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha Jin is an amazing writer. Love his stuff and highly recommend this book.

I am reading two books right now:

[​IMG]

For those who are curious about how serial criminals (bombers, arsonists, rapists, murderers, etc) tick, John Douglas is the original profiler and helped invent the field. Fascinating read.

[​IMG]

He may be a dirty old man, but he's fun as hell to read. Great humor and deep insight.

16. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan

Here's the really, really, stupid thing: I've never seen the miniseries, even though they have the whole thing at my local library on VHS and DVD. But man, Shogun's a really good book. I've never been to Japan (though I once dated a Japanese girl), but from that book I feel like I've been there.

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

Just picked it up and can't wait to start.

18. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Tempest -- fourth of four in this Everman's Library volume:

[​IMG]

Pericles
    Cymbeline
    The Winter's Tale
    The Tempest

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Romances-Everymans-Library-William-Shakespeare/dp/067945487X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236279145&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Romances (Everyman's Library): William Shakespeare: Books[/ame]

19. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both the Shogun and Noble House mini's are both worth watching-- oddly, John Rhys-Davies is in both. Tai-Pan is barely passable, and I haven't seen King Rat yet. The others have not been filmed, as far as I know.

20. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    just started -

[​IMG]

The Head Trip - Jeff Warren

21. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    The Game of My Life: 20 Stories of Yankees Baseball, by Dave Buscema

Buscema does a decent job of giving the background and setting up for the players to tell the story, in their own words, of their favorite game, but gives the players short shrift at the end of each chapter, giving about a page and a half for many of them. One would suppose a player's favorite game might have a few more pages from each of the players.

Reggie Jackson, naturally, picked out an entire season as his favorite game.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about a third of the way through...

[​IMG]
    And the Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave

23. Goaler

Goaler Member

Bristol City, Slavia Prague, Pacific FC, AS Roma, Atletico Madrid, Vancouver Whitecaps, Philadelphia Union
    England
    Apr 11, 2007
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    [​IMG]

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

Good read.

24. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is what it is...though "good read" isn't how I'd describe it.

Maybe my standards are too high, though.