So. . . What Are You Reading? (2012 Edition)

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ismitje, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I held out for a long time too but I started reading them right before the 6th book came out and do not regret it at all. I am considering re-reading in order to get my daughter interested. I am thinking I can read a book and then allow her to read it so we can discuss it.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I went the other way and started reading them when they came out. Had to keep up with the Grandbrats didn't !? Gave up after 3 though.

Now Harry is 45 years old my grandkids have given up as well.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "You Must Spread Some Negative Reputation Before Giving it To Nicodemus Again"​

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rowling knows how to tell a story. While I didn't care for the Harry Potter hype, there is no denying, for most of us who've actually read them, that they are among the best books written for kids. Of course I read a lot of juvenile literature anyway....

Just curious though, what did you foist on your friend?

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing, I don't really care for juvenile literature so I was kind of surprised at how much I've enjoyed them.

Some Yukio Mishima, Haruki Murakami and Anton Chekhov. It was a bigger stretch for me than for her. She's a big fan of Hemingway, Vonnegut, and a lot of other more serious literature, so those things aren't a stretch for her. It was a stretch getting me to agree to read juvenile literature.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think there are two reasons why I haven't read it yet. One is that I'm not a huge fan of fantasy fiction. When I was in high school, I had read the usual fantasy fiction of the age group(Lord of the Rings, Atlas Shrugs) and later on I tried to make my way through the Gormenghast triliogy to little avail. The other thing is, I like my genre fiction short and crisp: Robert Parker's Spencer Novels, Highsmith's Ripley novels, Jim Thompson's and Simenon's creepy noir books. But even in that genre, I rarely get into the longer works like those by James Lee Burke or Ian Rankin, even though when I do, I thought they kicked ass.

7. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Did you mean Atlas Shrugged? Fantasy fiction. :D

1 person likes this.
  8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

"Throughout the '70s and '80s, Xerox Corporation provided unlimited funding to a renegade think tank called the Palo Alto Research Center (PARC). Occupying a ramshackle building adjacent to Stanford University, PARC's occupants would prove to be the greatest gathering of computer talent ever assembled: it conceptualized the very notion of the desktop computer, long before IBM launched its PC, and it laid the foundation for Microsoft Windows with a prototype graphical user interface of icons and layered screens. Even the technology that makes it possible for these words to appear on the screen can trace its roots to Xerox's eccentric band of innovators. But despite PARC's many industry-altering breakthroughs, Xerox failed ever to grasp the financial potential of such achievements. And while Xerox's inability to capitalize upon some of the world's most important technological advancements makes for an interesting enough story, Los Angeles Times correspondent Michael Hiltzik focuses instead on the inventions and the inventors themselves. We meet fiery ringleader Bob Taylor, a preacher's son from Texas known as much for his ego as for his uncanny leadership; we trace the term "personal computer" back to Alan Kay, a visionary who dreamed of a machine small enough to tuck under the arm; and we learn how PARC's farsighted principles led to collaborative brilliance. Hiltzik's consummate account of this burgeoning era won't improve Xerox's stake in the computer industry by much, but it should at least give credit where credit is due."

10. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    reading a couple autobiography's

just finished this:

[​IMG]

great read. I read his last autobiography "Shaq Talkes Back" and this one was a lot better. to hear about the oversite of his whole career was amazing.

Went back and am going to finish this now

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This week, 60 research papers. But I might find time to knock off the last 100 pages of this.

[​IMG]

The Man With The Golden Flute A memoir by Sir James Galway and his "as told to" person, Linda Bridges. It's pretty clear he narrated these events into a tape recorder. But since he's Irish, it works extremely well. He played with the Pittsburgh Symphony late last year, and while he's no longer at the top of his game, James Galway playing "Danny Boy" (the second of three encores, IIRC) is still an amazing thing.

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him perform a long while back and he did lot of talking. He's a pretty gifted storyteller.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've finished this, and it went quite a bit darker than the whimsical beginning portended. It worked well still.

But [result]this is the third book I've read this year featuring a young female protagonist (not really intentional on my part), and the second where the heroine has been trusting of older, sketchy males to the point of naivete, resulting in her getting raped. In the third book the situation was less dire, but there again the protagonist appeared oblivious of the danger inherent in the situation. And these books have all been written by female authors. Really odd I think, and I am not sure why this is an apparent trend. [/result]

So I need something lighter before the next serious book. Up, then, is Mr. Terry Pratchett with Night Watch.

[​IMG]

14. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

"Financial Shock provides a concise and lucid account of the economic, political and regulatory forces behind this binge."

15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Now if we could just list all those who were concerned in this huge scam along with their prison sentences.........sigh...........the backlash and shit would pile too high!

16. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

B.M. Bower -- The Happy Family

B.M. Bower was a woman writer and native of Montana who wrote primarily westerns from the 1910's through her death in 1940. I've previously read Chip of the Flying U which was a fun, light romance set in the old west.

This book is a collection of humorous short stories about the same group of characters -- cow punchers for the Flying U -- that appeared more as side characters in the previous book.

I've read both free on Kindle and will definitely be picking up others of Bower's works. Fun, light reading in a very amusing style.

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Looked out this morning a fat, falling, snowflakes. Then checked my email and found the this is in the library for me.

[​IMG]

Latest in the series. I think (I know) I'll have to face the frozen wastes to go and pick it up, then get cozy by the fire.

Real Estate, who wants to look at houses today!?

18. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

In my opinion, the best of the Arkady Renko books. Of course, there are two newer ones (post Wolves Eat Dogs) I havent yet had the pleasure of reading.

2 people repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finished Pratchett last night, and on to something heavier:

[​IMG]

Amy Waldmam's The Submission about the political and social fallout that develops when the winner of the 9/11 memorial design competition turns out to be named Mo. As in short for Mohammed Khan. First couple of chateprs are top notch.

20. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

A change of pace for me. I picked this one and Clemente (by the same author) at a library used book sale. I have read the first few chapters and I am enjoying it.

21. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    [​IMG]

The 11th in a series of (so far) 13 Ancient Roman Mysteries featuring Libertus the mosaic-maker.

This one hits a little closer to home for Libertus, with a plot involving danger to his household.

22. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Freedom by Jonathon Franzen

Anyone else read this? I am only about halfway through but it is interesting. I am not sure I have read a book like this before. It's an interesting perspective on the American family and relationships.

23. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay
    Contuing with the revisit of one my favorite authors.

24. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

"War by Other Means is a clarion call to those in important industry and policy positions in the United States to consider the very real risks of economic espionage. Companies cannot ignore a horizon crowded with challenges such as how to maintain security over operations in an age when information products--from patents to software--can be lifted at the speed of light and reproduced at virtually no cost. John Fialka, who writes for the Wall Street Journal, here records the true spy stories of foreign intelligence operatives penetrating U.S. industries to gather valuable information ranging from trade secrets to military technology. Fialka tells his story in the strong language of battle and delivers a barrage of supporting facts: names, dates, numbers, and the procedures foreign countries take to gain restricted information. This lively story will raise fresh concern about the nature of competition among international businesses as well as national intelligence agencies."

25. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have to say, that is one of the funniest blurbs about a book that I've ever read. So much so that I decided to get a copy for my nook. Only then to have my eyeballs scorched by the titles offered when you enter Submission into the search engine...