So The Beat Are Entering Preseason With 19 Players?

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by DemitriMaximoffX, Mar 1, 2011.

1. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Uhhhhhhh.

Wait.

What? We knew they were skint, but THIS skint? Can't even afford a full roster? Can't wait for the spin on this.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And out of those 19, 3 are goalkeepers.
    So they don' even have enough for a full 11 v. 11 scrimmage?
    Looks like the waterperson and Fitz Johnson may have to fill in and play as part of the "opposing team" in paractice.
    Unless Fitz Johnson, in order to save payroll money have added the job of waterperson to himself :D.

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone makes the team :rolleyes:

4. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Don't forget that the Beat are also going to be missing Mitts and Lloyd for a lot of the season for National Team duties.

Heaven help them if they get hit by injuries.

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Atlanta Beat
    Katie Bethke
    Kerri Butler
    Lori Chalupny
    Keeley Dowling
    Colleen Flanagan
    Megan Jesolva
    Kristina Larsen
    Meghan Lenczyk
    Allison Lipsher
    Carli Lloyd
    Heather Mitts
    Katherine Reynolds
    Angela Salem
    Lauren Sesselmann
    Vendula Strnadova
    India Trotter
    Catherine Whitehill
    Allison Whitworth
    Kylie Wright

why would he sign lori and keep trotter if he wasnt going to sign a top keeper? he should have drafted press at #3 for the same price as lori and dropped trotter upfront and got formiga in the MF. he still ends up with a cheap team.

3-4-4 def anchored by mitts

formiga wins positions in the mid-field.

you have press making runs since she has good wheels and has to be top 5 fastest in the league. the young lady from memphis has very good ball skiills would have been a nice compliment to pressure up front. nice little rookie pair.

i cant see trotter scoring 3 goals.

he will draw here and there but he may not win one game this season.

could have had a better team for the same money.

:confused:

he can practice against u teams, high school boys and w-league so i guess he doesnt need a full roster.

when he has an inj...just pick up a free agent college grad for minimum. he's doing that already.

6. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The whole situation is frigging ridiculous.

7. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There must be planned open tryouts and/or are thinking of picking up players who will be released from the other teams. They only need to get five more to get up to the maximum 24 roster. But this the Beat's strategy as last year - go low cost.

8. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta 5, South Florida 0

Couldn't tell from twitter who scored all of the goals. Jesolva, Strnadova, and Wright were three of the scorers. Whitworth started in goal, replaced by Lipsher at the half.

Other players mentioned as playing...Chalupny, Lenczyk, Flanagan, Reynolds, Sesselmann (all in the 1st half so I assumed they started) and Bethke and Wright came in at halftime.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm....
    I know there's no banking on preseason games, but FWIW this is the most lopsided preseason score I've seen (to my admittedly bad memory) in WPS' three-year history. Which, if I knew more about S.Florida's team, I would say means the roster is more solid than it appears.

11. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    It means very little, IMO. South Florida is an above average team who achieved a lot of their success last year doing the brute force thing with some strong, physical players. I think they were ripe to be sliced apart by a team with the technical skill of professionals like the Beat has.

Beat have wisely stacked their preseason with a lot of teams like USF, Auburn, Georgia, and Clemson that may have name value (or in Clemson's case HAD name value back in the day) but aren't going to have the chops to hold up against even essentially a talented college All-Star team. The results to look out would be the ones against FSU and UNC, but I still wouldn't put too much stock into it. If you recall last year, the Beat were pretty good in the preseason, and we all know how things turned out.

12. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chalupny and Whitehill scored the other 2.

13. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Washington 5 - North Carolina 0 last season in pre-season if i'm correct.

14. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    correct

15. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago beat the University of Illinois 9-0 last year.

16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The press release is giving the first goal to Larsen and no goals to Chalupny, although I know that in the twitter commentary, Chalupny hit the post or crossbar at least once.

17. nine

nine New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the info from the Beat's Facebook page, before the PR went out.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Shows how good my memory is. X-D

19. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's just preseason and I agree these games mean very little in the grand scheme, but considering most of Atlanta's players for the match (Lenczyk, Flanagan, Wright, Bethke, Jesolva, Larsen, Strnadova, Reynolds) are just out of college (or maybe one year removed from college as in Larsen's and Reynolds' case), it is nice to see them score some goals.

Chalupny and Whitehill were the obvious exceptions to the rest of team being young.

But then again, I thought Atlanta looked reasonably impressive in an exhibition match against St. Louis last year.:rolleyes:

20. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    My goodness - what are you people on? Pre-season games last year were ridiculous - the college teams are devoid of their seniors in the spring and overall much weaker. Pre-season scores are meaningless - we scored a ridiculous amount of goals last year in pre-season - averaged about 5 per game - then were one of the lowest scoring teams all season.

21. dablackdoctor23

dablackdoctor23 New Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree. Preseason is for 1 thing and 1 thing only: match fitness. Scores are irrelevant. All about getting your starting XI gelling and building some chemistry.

22. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    same stuff you are on when you said it cost 25-30M for a wps stadium. :rolleyes:

anyway...pre-season may be good indicator for atlanta to see if they can score on anyone. good going fitz.

23. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    No, really, it's not. Atlanta scored goals in preseason last year and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the regular season. College defenses are nothing close to what they're going to face against other WPS teams.

24. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it doesn't mean much, but I guarantee if they had been shut out by South Florida, everyone here would have seen that as confirmation that Atlanta stinks. Then it would have meant something.

25. Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM

Ex_SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Thank you....someone who gets it.