So now what? '16-'17 off-season thread

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SabreKhan, Nov 10, 2016.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm usually pretty skeptical about services which rely on the registered geographic location of an IP address, because they depend on 3rd party companies' databases of geolocations for IP addresses, which are all of varying completeness and accuracy. Generally, they're pretty good with wired internet connections, so if you're watching on your computer or Roku or Apple TV at home, you're fine, but they're ridiculously bad with wireless carriers' networks.

I just did a quick test with my cellphone at a few different sites. When I have it connected to my home wifi, those sites found me in Longmont, Colorado (where I live), Boulder (15 miles away), and Denver (30 miles). HOWEVER, when I turned off the wifi on my cellphone and used my wireless carrier's network, those same sites found me in Birmingham, Alabama, Bellevue, Washington, and Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.

So this is the reason why some folks have issues with MLS LIVE occasionally, and why some folks will have issues with the FCDallas.com games this season. (It also gives you a clue as to how to fool them, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.)

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wouldn't be a pioneering FCD idea without some form of f uckery ;)

3. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Correct. I'm pretty sure FCD has made a decision not fully understanding the customer service complaints they're about to open up due to what you refer to above. It is possible it will largely depend on who/what they're using to serve up the videos. Is this going to be a YouTube Live thing, or Facebook Live thing? How exactly are they going to serve up a linear feed and because it will be limited to a web page, the video experience, well, your mileage may vary. I'm fascinated to see how they present these live streams and will they be available VOD after the fact?

TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #354 ElJefe, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    From an outsider's perspective, I would be a bit surprised if they didn't use the MLS LIVE backend, since they'll be MLS league matches, since MLS LIVE already does everything that they're going to need in terms of geographic verification (and the MLS app on iOS and Android does it better than IP geolocation because it's using iOS and Android's built-in location services), and since MLS LIVE will be carrying the games to those of us in the hinterlands anyway.

But as an FCD fan since day one, I'm always prepared for a dose of goofiness in things that should be straightforward.

5. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I'm not sure that will be the case. Remember, MLSLive rarely carries the FCD production and that is what they will be streaming on their site - every game. Even if MLSL is not. It was told to me that not only did they buy the rights from the league, but they also invested in the needed equipment and systems to accomplish this. There is a lot of expensive equipment or at least expensive services to pay for to pull off your own live linear streams and ad insertion - but I guess we'll see how they pull it off.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no douchy Balboa feed?

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That alone is worth $

burning247 repped this.
  8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest roster update from Matt Doyle:

snip

FEBRUARY 13 UPDATE:
    From what I'm told Dallas are confident in Homegrown academy kid Aaron Guillen for the No. 3 spot on the CB depth chart, which is in keeping with their M.O. And they've been experimenting with Atiba Harris back there, as well as Maynor Figueroa, so I guess that's their depth behind Matt Hedges and Walker Zimmerman. This is probably fine, but if you're going to pick a nit with Dallas, that's the one.

Adding Argentine right back Hernan Grana to the mix is better than fine, by the way – they needed more right back depth after Jose Salvatierra failed his physical last month. Grana and Homegrown Reggie Cannon will almost certainly split minutes during the congested early part of the season. Adding left back/left midfielder/central midfielder Carlos Cermeno, was also very nice, even if he doesn't exactly fill a need. I'm not sure exactly how the 21-year-old, once-capped Venezuelan will get onto the pitch, but his versatility and experience will be welcome for a team that expects to compete for four trophies this season.

One other note: Apparently 17-year-old Paxton Pomykal has been playing well beyond his years this preseason. I don't really expect him to figure into the mix until 2018, but if the raves I'm hearing are accurate, nobody should be too shocked to see him playing at least a few minutes here or there in center midfield (I think he's more of a No. 10, though others see him as a No. 8).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...ster-build-status-all-22-mls-teams-ahead-2017

TCS35, TxEx and El Chico Carmona repped this.
  9. atsegnorts

atsegnorts Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Falls Church
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hey, anybody tell me anything on Agustin Jara? Wiki has FCDallas as his previous club, why did he get released? Appreciate it.

10. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    MLS was just a few cuts above his skill level and experience.

atsegnorts repped this.