So it's here!

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Iceblink, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we got the forum! I'm excited! So many threads have been just completely inappropriate for the forums they were in.

Several of us, mostly teachers and teachers-to-be, wanted to get this forum as a place to discuss the world of education!

We thought it would be cool to discuss being/becoming a teacher, being a student, the political aspects of education, good or inspirational teachers or students, bad ones, etc.

We always claim how soccer is such an international sport, so it would also be amazing to find out what school life is like in other countries as well. So many are represented here!

Use this forum however you like, for the most part, as long as it's related to education!

I'm sure a lot of people are out of school at the moment... but perhaps even the students will be interested in seeing just how much work teachers do over the summer to plan out your year!

Talk about what your teachers currently have you doing. Talk about the lesson plans you're working on. Talk about the teachers you hated growing up... and why. Talk about the students you're having trouble with. Wouldn't it be great to get another student's perspective on the issue?

Anyway, this forum can be as good as we make it.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice!

Ironic to get this forum in the summer though. :)

3. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know! That's what I was saying. I'm guessing, as a result, we'll probably get more teachers or teaching students than students for a while.

Summers off?

I don't think so!

At this moment, I'm in the middle of helping the department chair to plan curricula for African American literature, British lit, World lit (honors, AP and regular), and creative writing!

They want everything changed. We can't start with the literature we want to teach anymore. We have to start with the standards (skills) and adapt lessons to those!

So, we'll no longer be learning Shakespeare.

We'll be able to "2.A.5b Evaluate relationships between and among character, plot, setting, theme, conflict and resolution and their influence on the effectiveness of a literary piece." We'll be using Shakespeare to achieve this and other goals.

Fun!

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I know the feeling. I am in the middle of trying to earn 10 CEU's between now and next June so I can get recertified (that is a thread topic right there, how bad we need teachers, yet how irratating it is to get recertified). Three two-day seminars in June and two more two day seminars in July; dont forget the three day commercial bus driving class so I can drive a activity bus b/c I am a coach.

5. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United

I love BigSoccer for many reasons, one being how since I've been here I've felt that (in genera)l the IQ level and sophistication, of BS posters is on the upper echelon of society.

Don't know maybe I'm a bit biased. Either way, as a student who currently doesn't plan of go into teaching (though I haven't ruled it out entirely). I feel student feedback, might be invaluable. Of course, I feel there's is a big difference between "scholars" and "everyone else" In the words of a teacher one of my friends had last year:

"Yeah, you should have seen him yesterday, he said 'some of you are scholars' the rest of you are just here to get your piece of paper, and 'hey baby, can I have your number." lol

6. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Would it be too late to add to the title of the forum

Education and Academia (The Lyceum)????

Pretty please.... in honor of
    [Latin Lycum, from Greek Lukeion the school outside Athens where Aristotle
    taught (335-323 B.C.).] (from dictionary.com) ...not for the man but for the institution.

~s94

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done guys. Congrats.