So far 2014 >>>>> 2010

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by johnbarley2, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The dutch have stopped being that beautiful playing offensive-minded nation a long time ago...

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were talking about how there's been one big story every day.

I wonder what the story will be for tomorrow? :)

canis and locoxriver repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Best World Cup EVER!

canis repped this.
  4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Gotta say that Italy-Uruguay match makes me want to take a day or two off from this WC ... What a disgrace. A lazy petulant Balotelli. Scandalous red card tackle by Marchisio. A game full of fouls and dives and whining and time wasting etc ... And to top it off that disgusting moment from Suarez bringing shame to the sport. Send both these teams home please.

magisterlucius repped this.
  5. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    we keep getting our daily story. This thing can't get much better. or can it...?

6. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    They're making a comeback.

After the 2008 Euro- where they were offensive but got trounced by Russia- they turned to the dark side and almost hacked their way to a World Cup win.

But so far this time around, it really looks like they're on their way back to being all about the attack. I mean, yeah, they're scoring most of their goals on counterattacks now, but it's not like they hang back Mourinho-style. They're clearly more open now than in 2010 or 2012.

7. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i agree. This team is the closest one i have seen to the famous 70s one.

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What a World Cup.. not a single boring day:

Day 1 - Nishimura's controversial calls in the opening match / Neymar debuts in WC with 2 goals
    Day 2 - Spain 1 - 5 Holland / Van Persie diving header
    Day 3 - Costa Rica upset (3-1 v. Uruguay)
    Day 4 - Messi last min goal v. Bosnia in Argentina's 2-1 win
    Day 5 - Brooks late goal to break USA's Ghana curse / Germany 4 - 0 Portugal
    Day 6 - Memo Ochoa MOTM performance v. Brazil
    Day 7 - Spain eliminated with one game left in group stage / Cahill volley v. Holland
    Day 8 - Luis Suarez returning from injury to score 2 in Uruguay's 2-1 victory v. England
    Day 9 - Costa Rica upset part II (1-0 v. Italy) / France 5 - 2 Switzerland
    Day 10 - Messi 90 min brilliance v. Iran for Argentina's qualification to R16 / Germany 2 - 2 Ghana
    Day 11 - Portugal 94th minute goal to tie USA 2-2 and keep qualification hopes alive
    Day 12 - Mexico qualification / Brazil's first "big" win / 14 goals in 4 games that day
    Day 13 - Luis Suarez bite / Italy and England eliminated in group stage / Costa Rica advances to Round of 16 for second time in history
    Day 14 - 2 Messi goals v. Nigeria, for a tally of 4 goals in 3 games
    Day 15 - USA makes it out of "Group of Death" / Portugal, Cristiano Ronaldo go home early
    Day 16 - Chile's last PK in dramatic shootout hitting the post for their elimination and Brazil's advancement to QFs / Colombia advancing to QFs for first time in history
    Day 17 - Holland late goals (88', 94') in 2 - 1 victory v. Mexico / Late Greece goal v. Costa Rica to take game to extra time / Costa Rica advancing to QFs for first time in history
    Day 18 - Algeria surprisingly taking Germany to extra time, nearing another upset

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the greatest cup ever, right? Seriously, 50 matches in, and how many have been stinkers? How many have been terrific?

Boloni86 repped this.
  10. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In my lifetime, without a question.

11. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Maybe 2 or 3 stinkers at most.

Even Germany-Algeria, which was pretty boring for the first 90, really picked up in extra time and was amazing.

12. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This wc seems scripted. Couldn't have been any better.

Hexa, Boloni86 and Christina99 repped this.
  13. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Perfect World Cup so far.
    En route to be one of the best ever.

locoxriver repped this.
  14. ((((d-_-b))))

((((d-_-b)))) Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just fantastic! The round of 16 games were so intense, especially towards the end.

I'll take struggles advancing over breezing through boring games any day :D

locoxriver and Boloni86 repped this.
  15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Well since the round of 16 happened this WC has been just as crappy as any other. Teams hacking and diving ... Teams clinging on to 1-0 or 1-1 results. No surprises. All the big teams just doing enough to barely advance.

Oh well ... only 4 more years 'til 2018.

Dominican Lou, radjedi and zahzah repped this.
  16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Round of 16 was fine (although referees messed up several outcomes, most notably Mexico - Netherlands and Nigeria - France), but the 1/4 finals so far have sucked. Unfortunately unless Costa Rica play the game of a lifetime I don't expect any change with the final game.

17. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Lol, what a joke. The level of football is the worst I've seen by far, only 2002 comes close.

18. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    Through the round of 16, this WC was the best ever (I've seen everyone since 78). The 1/4 finals have been disappointing. The end of CR-Neth was good and Colombia-Brazil could have been a 3-2 or 4-3 Classic had the ref pulled some yellow cards out in the 1st half. But really not as good as the '10 1/4 finals: Neth comes back from 1-0 down to win 3-1 & Melo is sent off. The amazing Ghana-Uruguay match with Suarez handball on the line and Gyan missing the PK. Germany trouncing Argentina 4-0. Only Spain-Port was a sleeper (thanks tiki taka).

In fact, I would say that this has been the worst set of 1/4 finals I can remember. Really too bad, because it's these later stage classic matches that are remembered in the long run. Think Italy-Brazil from '82, France-Brazil or Spain-Belgium from '86, England-Cameroon from '90, Brazil-Neth, Bulgaria-Germany or Italy-Spain from '94. These were amazing matches from 1/4 finals. The SF's still have a chance, but I honestly see another cagey match from Arg-Neth and Brazil-Germany will deteriorate quickly of ref allows Brazil to persistently foul deep in Germany end to prevent them from starting attacks.

19. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    I know, Spain was just terrible can't remember them in 2002 but they must have had a better Cup than this one...

canis repped this.
  20. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Spain of 2010 would have won this sh*t tournament even with their legs tied up ;)

21. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    lol, yeah. beacause there were so many changes in the roster from the 2010 to the 2014 team right? Especially because in 2010, Spain just completely destroyed every opponent they faced. lol. get a freaking grip.

22. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Spain could barely score in 2010. Worst goal average EVER of a winning team.

NMMatt and canis repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    They didn't need to score. They could keep 75% of possession if they wanted to. Nobody could stop their passing.

The key component to their style was to press the ball in packs whenever they lost it. That was the difference between '10 and '14. They were too old and just didn't have the legs to chase people down like in '10.

24. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    yes, and? Still made for boring, ultra defensive football. Which is exactly why Tiki Taka is boring. Because it´s DEFENSIVE football to the extreme. It´s totally defensive, with the difference that the defense here is not letting the opponent have the ball.

25. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    imho, one of the best things of this World Cup has been the big invasions from S.American fans, which created a World Cup atmosphere in many games that was lacking in S.Africa or in Japan/Korea

argentine song provoking Brazil... I don´t understand the entire lyrics, but it starts with "Brazil, tell me how you feel" and ends with "... Maradona being greater than Pelé"

Dominican Lou repped this.