So Club Tijuana Xolos are officially in the Primera Division.... are they our team now?

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, May 21, 2011.

1. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. David1904

David1904 New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I'll go see the matches...

4. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I wish them luck in the Primera Division

5. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to at least once, just to check it out, but there's something about the fact they'll be on the big Mexicannetworks that's exciting, too. I get them all.

6. sandog

sandog Member

May 30, 2008
    Great news for TJ residents. I'm sure many Sandiegans will attend games. I'm a little disappointed that the San Diego TV stations made no mention of the accomplishment. Only the Union Tribune's Mark Zeigler has been writing about it. Now they need to reinforce the team. Its not good enough to compete in the Primera with the current lineup. Tijuana deserves a team that will be a permanent fixture in the league.

7. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They are not a team from San Diego, so why should they?

8. sandog

sandog Member

May 30, 2008
    Because its NEWS. Good news. Tijuana is less twenty miles away from the busiest border in the world, many people from San Diego visit Tijuana, some English language TV stations actually transmit from TJ (XETV 6 (CW), and XHDTV (MyTV), not to mention a lot of radio stations including sports XX1090. They're our neighbor and I think given all the negative news someone should have said something. Besides the Padres suck.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting point. But they are less than 20 miles away from San Diego city center. In fact, our CW affiliate is apparently based down there, as well as several radio stations of both languages. It's almost like a twin city that just speaks a different language and goes by different rules of law.

10. Jabez Ramone

Jabez Ramone Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Southern California
    I will pull for them more or less like I do with the LA Galaxy -- not my team, but the one geographically closest. Maybe less because I don't follow the Mexican league at all, at least not yet. I'm sure there will be a contingent of fans on this side of the border rooting for them and that this group will grow, especially among Spanish speakers.

I've thought about catching a game down there. They have a cross-border bus that will pick you up in San Ysidro and drop you back off on the US side of the border after the game. I still might do it, but I'm more likely to drive up to Hell A for a Galaxy game.

11. boredbobby

boredbobby Member

Nov 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So excited for the city of TJ and wish MLS would embrace promotion and relegation so we could get a division I club in San Diego. I will be venturing down to TJ to take in a few games. A lot cheaper than going to LA and easy to get to. Trolley---->border.

I am no longer supporting MLS until they institute Promotion and Relegation. Even if SD gets a team through expansion I am not supporting the league.

12. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow you're really dead set on your choices...

San Diegans will go and cross the border, and I sincerely hope Xolos build a strong fan base and grow as a club
    however I do not share your opinion on promotion and relegation with MLS,
    it has developed into a more watchable product and will improve over time
    and just because it doesn't have P & M people shouldn't stop watching
    if you enjoy soccer and live in the USA then I don't see any justifiable reason to not support MLS(even in terms of quality or P & M etc.)

13. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Garber is in charge we're never going to see promotion and relegation. On a side note, I wish baseball had that. It would make all the games mean more...although the Padres would probably be in AA by now LOL

14. boredbobby

boredbobby Member

Nov 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An arbitrary line is what separates me from Mexico. Unlike MLS, I can cross freely through the border and support a Club that markets to me and actually wants to put a quality product on the field. I will not support a league that advocates a Caste system, keeping lower divisions permanently lower division and consistently battling bankruptcy.

Fans support a town/city. Not leagues. I am a fan of San Diego Padres and not a fan of MLB.

15. boredbobby

boredbobby Member

Nov 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLB desperately needs to overhaul the system. If padres were battling a relegation battle to avoid AAA i bet that stadium would be packed! Plus, if they get relegated only the die hards would be at games leaving the fair weather fans at home. MLB has a pyramid ready for prom/rel. but franchise system is choking off any chance of pro/rel. blagh.

16. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you mean to attend games, and that's fine if there was a better product 15 mins away from me I would make that trip too but alas other things come into play
    but hey have fun with that

that caste system is popular here, its an American thing
    sure there's many positives for Pro-Rel and yeah would it make huge a boom to US club soccer
    but there are several obstacles that aren't going to magically go away
    things take time, MLS, USMNT, soccer in the US isn't up to the level of other countries but it will get there, you have to remember the history of this sport in this country

I support MLS, and I don't have a home team
    I don't like LA(don't ask) don't like chivas
    I watch dallas, houston, portland, DC, RSL
    whoever is on I'll watch because there's soccer to watch in the afternoon and at night

there's plenty of people that just watch other leagues just because of their product, leagues like EPL, bundesliga etc. people watch NCAA basketball even if they don't have a team

given, usually they ally with one team that they like or for whatever reason but the example is there
    if the MLS not having Pro-Rel is good enough reason not to watch, then go ahead, it's your time after all

17. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    you keep thinking that. relegation promotion wont solve that.
    in the meantime go enjoy the xolos, since you wont be an MLS fan anytime soon.

1 person likes this.
  18. boredbobby

boredbobby Member

Nov 30, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already have been and will in the future.

Your anti pro/rel is easy for you to be against since you are in San Jose with a MLS outlet in your city. I'm a soccer fan who believes that teams should be placed in the proper division through performance on the field and not by lump sum payments to the Don.

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How far is the Xolos stadium from the border crossing? I know there's a streetcar from downtown that goes very close.
    If it's close it might make sense for groups of 5-6 to meet at the border & share a van-taxi to the stadium & one on the way back.

20. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be fun to watch I think. Much more exciting than being 20 games out thinking "oh well maybe next season!"

21. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    im from the same city as your location, so i didnt grow up cheering on the earthquakes. Soccer has been in the US for a long time, clearly without the use of single entity. why hasnt a stable 1st-4th division come through, if the USSF was in charge the whole time? i clearly think the reason why you dont see a stable soccer pyramid, with promotion/relegation, is because the USSF sucked at it. the USSF has at least 100 years to get some kind of structure where teams would get placed in their proper divisions based on performance. but it never happened.

And now that you see a stable 1st division making money, you want it to throw out its organizational structure because it isnt "proper"? financial solvency is what was holding back soccer in the USA. investors wanted a plan that would ensure success of all teams, not just one. im sure youve heard this all before, but you need to realize Pro/Rel wont fix anything right now. all it will do is devalue what MLS has already created.

I could see MLS eventually spanning over 40 cities, 20 each in a conference. two separate tables, where all teams can benefit from 1st division status. making one of those conferences "MLS division 2" wont make money in this sporting culture.

and the Don doesnt get paid the lump sum payments, the BoG does.

however, i will admit to the changing nature of sporting cultures over time. i keep emphasizing the now, because, in all honesty, i DONT know what direction MLS will take.

Whitecaps10 and Samora repped this.
  22. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    btw, i wish the xolos the best in the first division. but never when playing Queretaro.

23. Idolg1982

Idolg1982 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They are my team!!!!!!!!!!! Go xolos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. marford21

marford21 Member

May 1, 2007
    SD, OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

The stadium is about 3-4 miles from the border.... once you cross through there is a taxi plaza where you can catch a ride there for 5 bucks.

Not sure if the Xolos have organized shuttles yet though, I wouldn't be surprised if they have some buses go via the San Ysidro trolley station.

25. EFCkw

EFCkw New Member

Mar 30, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Xolos have had a deal where you pay either $35 or $50 for a match ticket, depending on the seat, and round trip buss pass from a parking lot near the border to the game. I honestly don't know how much a ticket costs at the stadium and, as previously mentioned, you can get a cab there from the border for five bucks, so I don't know how good of a deal it really is.