Slide tackling- when is the right age?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Timbuck, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    At what age should slide tackling be taught?

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I didn't teach it to U10s or U12s. I did teach poke and block tackles, which is really what a slide tackle is. My thinking was slide tackles were an advanced version and seldom used by field players. I have seen a 6 year old perform a slide tackle that an adult would be proud of. Amazing body control. It scared me though. I was afraid all the other kids would start slide tackling with dire results. At that time (mid-80s), slide tackles were not prohibited in youth matches.

USYSA documents advise that slide tackles should be prohibited at U10 and below. Keep in mind that is the player's soccer age. The U12s I coached were a mix of experienced players and complete novices, so it was back to the basics--this is a ball, this is a foot.

I suggest you check with your club as to their policy.

3. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hardest, "hardest" part about is teaching them slide tackling technique. (finding the time to teach it).

I've never really given it much thought, but my advanced U11s can be taught to use it. I started it seeing it come around naturally at U11 and U12 without prompting but I wouldn't say it's common yet.

*THE CAVEAT is that slide tackles are an emergency technique. It may promote bad habits—why stand them up when I can make a slide tackle if they get past me?

There are 3 slide tackle techniques: bottom leg tackle, top leg tackle, and sliding block tackle.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #4 nicklaino, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    My position on this have changed over the years.

I prefer players use the stand up block tackle which is the regular tackle not any kind of slide tackle.

I even wrote a paper on it that was sent to Brazil on line years ago.

Most coaches don't teach the slide tackle. The kids see it on tv and just try it.

Our job is to help our kids become players. I think are job is also try to help them not to be injured doing or receiving bad tackles.

So I would show them how to do the slide tackles and their are many kids of slide tackles. If I saw a player doing it wrong or in a dangerous manner. Plus show them how to avoid the slide tackle and to keep possession of the ball while avoiding the slide tackle.

Bad slide tackles can work because the dribbler will still lose the ball even if he can avoid the slide tackle. Kid see's that a bad slide tackle works he will keep doing it. That can lead to an opponent or him getting hurt. We and the team are not there for that just to win.

We work on things like this before the start of the season during agility part of trainings.

5. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Definitely no sooner than U13. Maybe later. Until then, tell them to keep their feet and either contain or make a standing tackle as the situation dictates. As others have said, slide tackles as a general rule are too dangerous for young kids and the kids tend to get enamored with them and end up leaving their feet every chance they get.

mwulf67 repped this.
  6. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    After U12 does sound about right. Slide tackling would be much safer if coaches taught all players proper technique. The vast majority of players, however, have never been trained on how or when to slide tackle. That is probably never going to change.

By U14 players are starting to slide tackle in matches, so the technique should probably be taught by then. Especially since by that age players are starting to gain their adult size and strength, and the amount of force being used is significantly higher than in U-Littles.

7. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I could've used a slide tackle last night from a U11!

We got schooled by a really good posssession team last night 4-0. Despite all their possession, we kept em at bay because we had good shape and decent pressure cover. We kept 'em out the first half. But they finally broke through and a GK error cost us a goal. Then on #3 we contained a breakaway well, my opposite side full back came running over but didn't put in a tackle. He just cut him off with a good angle of pursuit but then just ran along side the attacker and let him shoot.

My theory is that we've been harping on no stabbing and he took that to heart. Good for him, but need to understand situations and exceptions to rules.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure there is 'an exception to the rule' as much as it is clarifying to him (and the team) choosing your moment to identify when you can tackle/win the ball. Yes, he did the right thing in getting a a good athletic position/proper body technique, but then it becomes time to pick the 'correct' moment to tackle the ball.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    14 sounds about right because:
    A. They are maturing to understand the purpose and timing of the play. While I may not be an expert U-12 coach, being around them for the past five seasons, trying to practice such a tackle quickly breaks down into horseplay.

And more importantly:
    B. They will understand the consequences of failing to perform a proper slide tackle by endangering an opponent and the risk or red or yellow cards.

mwulf67 repped this.
  10. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    That's really less about "tackling" and more about "shot denial" though, isn't it? I didn't see the play, of course, but the defender may well have been right not to attempt a tackle, but then the issue becomes getting in front of the shooter to deny (or block) his shot rather than attempt to dispossess him. The defender is working hard to contain the attacker and deny dribble penetration and deny the pass, but once inside shooting range he needs to also think about denying the shot, though probably not in the form of a tackle.

11. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    A shoulder charge is a good technique when running along side. At the very least you force the ball to the opposite foot and force the player to either turn away or slow down to counter the charge.

12. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A small defender won't stop a big attacker using a shoulder charge. However, do the shoulder charge to you draw level then slide tackle using the foot closest to the ball not the far foot. Knocking the ball to the outside then get up and win the ball.

Bob convey was a small player, but would consistently win the ball using that.

13. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #13 rca2, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    A bit misleading Nick, but your advice is still good. It is more complicated than just relative height.

All other things being equal, a shorter defender has the advantage in a shoulder charge--a lower center of gravity. The taller the opponent, the easier to beat them. The denser player also has an advantage because of higher mass (able to apply higher force). Finally a specific body type helps: short legs with a long torso has a lower center of gravity. Quick feet means more force applied over time. Someone short but built like a fireplug with quick feet is very hard to charge successfully.

It is not about being stronger and just having a lower center of gravity. The shorter legs are important because they push up, not down. Taller players cannot use their lower body strength in a shoulder charge. Shorter players can use all their strength against players with the same or higher center of gravity.

In American Football and wrestling coaches teach players to get low and drive their opponent with their legs.

14. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Big dribbler can use his hands to keep the smaller dribbler under control doing a shoulder charge.

15. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I played primarily as a defender as a kid and I don't remember ever being taught how to slide tackle. It was always something that I picked from watching soccer on TV, especially at age 13/14 where you become more educated on the sport and aware of different game situations. From my experience as a player, I really started using the slide tackle at 15 when games became more competitive, which was natural as kids got bigger and stronger and gained a bit more of an edge because of that.

Nowadays, I think players should be properly taught in their teen years no matter what level they play at. I have always been a firm believer that's it's just a part of the game, and whether a player chooses to do it or not, they should be prepared to make a proper tackle and also be alert of an incoming challenge.

Artificial surfaces are also another factor to consider in this discussion.

mwulf67 repped this.
  16. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    True, but that is pushing or holding rather than a fair charge. If a player is not pushing or holding, then there is no benefit from making contact with the arm instead of the shoulder and it is certainly more dangerous to the opponent being struck by a forearm or elbow instead of the shoulder. In American football coaches train their players to tackle with their body, not their arms, because it is much easier to break an arm tackle.

17. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Yes, grass turf is preferred, but in either case players should wear training pants to protect their legs.

18. HeyGuy

HeyGuy New Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Club:
    Everton FC
    If it were up to me, probably anywhere from around 10+ years old, depending on skill level, physical size, etc.
    Teaching kids the 'block' slide tackle initially would probably be beneficial (In which a defender slides in front of the passing foot to block a cross/pass, a relatively safe tackle)
    From there, stress that a slide tackle isn't necessarily to take a player down, and the ball must be touched before the player. Give examples of what to do and what not to do.
    In a safe environment, slide tackling can be correctly taught to mostly any age group, however, it's much more important to teach your team the fundamentals and teamplay before 'unessential' skills like slide tackles.

19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was under the impression you can't slide and play the ball from the ground so this thread is moot.

:D

20. HeyGuy

HeyGuy New Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Club:
    Everton FC
    There are probably different rules in different leagues, states etc for youth football, not too sure.