Rumor: Slaven Bilic "front-runner" for USMNT job

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 24, 2017.

1. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #76 iad_22201, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    FYI, Villa are actually currently in a playoff position in the Championship (I've noticed in this exchange you have something of a loose relationship with facts). And the simple fact that a guy gets hired for a job is hardly a persuasive argument that he's had a more impressive managerial career than Steve Bruce (again, I'm no particular fan of the guy, it's just clear to me that he's an "average" British manager who's had more success than Roberto). But I understand why this is all you can offer because when it comes to performance on the pitch Roberto's record just doesn't measure up...

I'll leave you with some snippets from an article in the Guardian written around the time Martinez was hired by Belgium (pay particular attention to the bolded)...

"When, in early August, Belgium revealed the identity of the successful candidate – Roberto Martínez – many people’s first reaction was to wonder whether that was also a wind-up...

At Goodison Park he guided a squad he described as the most gifted in the club’s history to successive bottom-half finishes in the Premier League, campaigns during which he rarely found a balance between attack and defence, leaving Everton like charging soldiers continually tripped up by their own falling trousers. With that misadventure so fresh in the memory, it was a shock when Martínez was chosen...

The list of candidates was not quite as sparkling as might be expected for a country ranked No2 in the world, owing to the lack of appeal of international management to top club managers and the smallness of the Belgian association’s budget compared with bigger but lower-ranked countries, the salary being less than £1m per year...

Apparently Martínez, whose ability to talk a good game has never been in doubt, aced his interview, with one member of the selection committee, Mehdi Bayat, revealing “he was the unanimous choice thanks to his charisma and knowledge of football”.

Martínez helped to demonstrate his knowledge by giving the committee a video presentation of Belgium’s past tactical shortcomings. He did not include footage of Everton’s past tactical shortcomings, an omission that could be construed as another failure to find an appropriate balance...."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/31/roberto-martinez-belgium-manager-spain

2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Lol, they're in a 3 way tie for sixth, two points from 12th. Wooohoo, they're 2 points above middling. Awesome.

And, for the 3rd or 4th time, don't act like Martinez is my 1st choice.

And, for the 3rd or 4th time, when are you going to grow a pair of balls and propose a realistic option?

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    It was a random example, Capello as one of the best ever is just chilling making the big bucks in China.

Why would he want to come here when we don’t even have a legit second division?

Talented people don’t joke around. If we want to atract a big name like that, other than money, we have to have our zhit together.

Capello would say no,

“I don’t know the players, none of them play in big clubs, you can’t even compete vs Panama, you literally don’t have lower divisions, so no, I’m not going to waste my time, good luck.”

No to mention he will go from coaching Fat Ronaldo to coaching Jordan Morris...

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Ruben Rivas im going to show you something. Mishit a ball. Shit.
    When you tie a discussion to proof of manhood, you’ve lost.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Capello was one of the greats, but now he's basically retired. I remember him saying this gig with Suning was likely his last one.

The point made by Rivas stands though: a coach like Fabio, with a strong character and ready to shake things up, wouldn't have the patience to come here and battle windmills.

6. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not. What I've been doing is disagreeing with your contention that he'd be an acceptable choice. To be fair, you're not the only one who feels this way as Roberto's name pops up here with regularity. When it does, I've consistently found that those who suggest him can't make an argument as to why he'd be a good choice that doesn't circle back to the fact that he was an intelligent, articulate voice on ESPN's WC coverage. Your "best" rationale for why he'd be a good choice would appear to be the fact that he was hired for the Belgium job. Again, this is completely understandable given his poor on the pitch record.

I bring up Steve Bruce because he comes from the same league(s) Roberto managed in (including managing the same club), with a more impressive record in said league(s), but if he were to be suggested as a potential candidate for the US job such a suggestion would be roundly greeted with (deserved) scorn. I'm trying to understand what makes Martinez different, and again, the only reason I can come up with is that Roberto did a great job on ESPN's WC commentary.

As for who we should hire, we've got a budget of probably at least 3x as much as Belgium, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone better than they did...

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm finding it odd taht several of you are saying Capello wouldn't come for several spurious reasons while ignoring he's in China. So by your logic China must be a much more advanced choice since no one is question why he would go there. I'd rather someone younger maybe a S. American coach for a change but US is a better gig than anything in China other than money.

adi21 repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    a) We're not going to pay silly money like the Chinese for Capello, he doesn't have the "movie star" quality of a Klinsmann;

b) China is just starting but so far they're doing a decent job of it. They even have pro/rel and are investing (easier when you have their political system) a lot in their kids.

Give them 30 years and let's see where they are.

9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    It's a two way street. Klinsi had some leeway, but when he wasn't keeping pace with Bradley his shakeup approach started to ring false.

And anyways, it's not a head coach's job to build or rebuilt an entire system. There's probably a ton of coaches in world soccer who could've got us qualified this cycle. There's also a ton who would've done worse than Klinsi and Arena. It's about the right person for the circumstances we have to work with at any given moment. We're not getting overnight drastic change when soccer as a whole simply does not demand that level attention in the U.S. Missing the World Cup was a national story for less than 12 hours before total radio silence set in. That's the culture we have to work with. And in turn we need a coach willing to work with that culture.

russ repped this.
  10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It's a commonly used metaphor - get over it When someone constantly criticizes your acceptance of someone who would be acceptable but won't make their own realistic proposal, you provide your own description. When you attack the metaphor instead of the substance of a post ...... well, you know the rest.

11. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad the last 2 pages caught me up on the Bilic talk. :rolleyes:
    Dropped 3 points in the final seconds on Saturday. Seat gets hotter.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to see an arrogant prick , look in the mirror .

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    What is the point of allowing this poster in N&A? Isn't this forum supposed to be more heavily moderated?

He doesn't add anything to the discourse.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    To me, the perfect coach for us is David Wagner. But there's no way we get him.

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. I think Wagner makes a ton of sense for us, but I think you're right. He's not leaving the EPL.

16. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    We keep making all these excuses, now we are going to blame it on the attention soccer gets?

I heard all the silly excuses already, we don’t want to hear it anymore.

Fix the lower divisions, hire a good coach with a good record foreign or American and stop putting excuses.

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    It's not an excuse, it's reality. Soccer is not a top sport in this country.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to have to wait for the end of his career before we land him as a coach.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I cant see the problem.

There's nothing to "fix". The current cycle is always upon us and the person we look to is the manager of the USMNT when it comes to the decisions we have to make on a day to day basis.

fixing the lower divisions falls into the trap of doing exactly what the monopolistic billionaires in America want: Monopoly rents for their properties and somebody else's dime to invest in player development. That system works perforce in small countries because there isn't enough talent to fill out rosters anyway. In the USA we are looking at a player pool taken from a population of 330m.

The best way to exploit that talent isn't to say ok, you aren't marketable at a higher level than level II so your coach is level ii, you are level ii, your owners are level ii and no wonder people are only interested in watching the NY Yankees and Tom Brady.

Top down is the way to go. More MLS teams (which are now finding that they are developing pretty good players with first div money) and a wall of separation between US Soccer and MLS.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No, not that long. Just not this year. He looks to be getting about 40 points this year and will stay up. That effectively puts him out of our shopping window.

21. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem here is that we don't have a competition for another 2 years. Who wants to wait for that. I would love to see Piojo Herrera managing our team. We need passion in this team.

22. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Soccer competition in small towns needs to raise, only way we can do that is with strong lower divisions.

I just don’t see any easy way out.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As opposed to "big" towns?

Say I'm a mom from Venezuela living in Brooklyn with a NYC born kid and I'm looking for a good place to train the kid because he seems to have soccer gifts. What is she going to do, take the ride up to the Bronx? Why don't they have resources in RedHook nest to Ikea? Because Garber for some mystical reason seems to think he has granted a monopoly to the NY Yankees and their Emirates partners in the Bronx.

You want a division 2 team there instead? Good luck selling that to the bank.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Slaven Bilic seems to have rep as a trouble shooter in the little that I could garner on wiki.

We kiind of need a builder. I'm guessing he would have qualified us instead of Arena but that's water under the bridge now.

Anybody know why he was able to take over West Ham and turn them around with another guy's players but seems to have languished since managing his own seletctions (presumably)? Maybe there's a good explanation.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure you're full of crap because you think Garber is some magical wizard bending all things soccer to his will. But just in case you're not....

What are you advocating here? Are you arguing in favor of pro/rel? If so, I'm not connecting the dots, unless neither NYRB nor NYCFC have satellite clubs throughout the 5 boroughs. I'd be surprised if that's the case, and if it is, that's their failure. I mean, RSL has an academy in Arizona. SKC just signed a "homegrown" from North Carolina. There's absolutely nothing missing in MLS' structure that prevents the New York clubs from having relationships with a club in Brooklyn, so the lack of an MLS club right there in the borough of Brooklyn isn't the reason this kid isn't getting proper training.

And I'll add another reason you're wrong. Nick Taitague signed to Schalke from the then-Carolina Railhawks. Point being, your hypothetical boy could play in the Cosmos' youth system. (Which, you may not know, had Haji Wright for a year before he, coincidentally, also went to Schalke.)

Unless you're just wrong 8 ways from Tuesday, it's very unclear what you're complaining about. Can you explain better what's missing?