Rumor: Slaven Bilic "front-runner" for USMNT job

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 24, 2017.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Fortunately they aren't the only two existing coaches on the Earth.

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we have to worry about "affordable" when US Soccer has over a $100 million surplus??

chad and 2in10 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    then let's get Fabio Cappello or Carlo Ancelotti or Guus Hiddink

Eighteen Alpha and 2in10 repped this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will require the BOD/President to have the balls to do so. They don't/won't.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want a coach that doesnt have an issue with retiring fading past stars and replacing them with players that will be in the next qualifying cycle. Some quite young now.

deejay, LouisianaViking07/09 and 2in10 repped this.
  6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, but folks are going to hold out for someone "better than Sam," because he's not cool. But, he would be a good get for us.

Tuchel, Martinez, Bielsa, there are guys I'd rather have. But, getting them is the thing. And, ya, totally agree we should wait until after the WC to make a hire.

7. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    West Ham is playing Tottenham in a cup match today on ESPN3 (noon pacific) if anyone would like to scout our man.

If they play poorly enough, maybe he'll even be available by tomorrow!

8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    May not be the best candidate soon to be available but a tremendous upgrade over all our recent choices.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Would people please stop pushing Martinez. He has been terrible wherever he lands.

10. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    His team is showing more fight today than ours did.

11. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I would definitely support this hire.

12. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    He may have just saved his current job for a while.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    but but but but he has a nice accent

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's just not true. He started in League One with Swansea. Got them promoted to the C-ship. He them playing well enough that he was hired up to Wigan. Kept Wigan up a couple or three years, and when they got relegated, he was snapped up by Everton (he also won the FA cup w/ Wigan). He did have a bad run at Everton, so I guess that dq's Koeman, too.

If we can do better than Martinez, great. We'll see.

15. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Please take Martinez from the Belgian NT. As for Bilic good grief. So many better managers out there. Bilic would be a complete waste.

16. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His West Ham teams are...not good.

17. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #42 iad_22201, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Eh, not sure getting Wigan relegated is much of a selling point. And before you say, well, he kept them up for three years you should understand that Wigan were in the PL for fours years before he was hired and over that period had finishes of 10th, 11th and 14th. Roberto's best finish in 4 seasons was 15th. The only reason he's viewed by some here as an attractive candidate is because he was an articulate voice on ESPN's WC coverage. It has absolutely nothing to do with his actual record as a manager. Hell, if success as a manager at Wigan is a selling point, we should be looking at Steve Bruce....

schrutebuck repped this.
  18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Absolutely, I liked him as a commentator. But, my feeling is that he's a competent manager. He's experienced, and he 's had some success. People are throwing out pie in the sky names. I don't think we're going to get a superstar manager to come here. I'm saying if there is a good, proven manager that will come, then let's get that guy. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

In the end, let's just wait until after the WC anyway.

19. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If given a choice between, say, Steve Bruce or Roberto Martinez, who are you going with?

20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Well, for one thing, I think Martinez would be more likely to go with us. Just a guess.

But, if you're asking me if I'd rather have the current manager of a European nation who was strong in qualification after having been mismanaged for several years, and is in the darkhorse conversation to win the WC or the current manage of championship team that has tons of money, yet languishes mid-table, that sounds pretty easy.

Besides, Bruce has always struck me as looking like a fat alcoholic, though I understand he's lost weight recently?

21. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roberto Martinez has a lot of connections with the US after working with ESPN.

Would not shock me, sort of like a Klinsmann hire, he has some familiarity with US setup.

schrutebuck repped this.
  22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    A federation that likes Klinsmann is going to like Martinez, and at least there's a little more substance with Martinez when compared to Klinsmann. He's respectable, but certainly not great as illustrated above - and if Martinez was great, then he wouldn't be a realistic candidate for the US position.

23. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #48 iad_22201, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    You do realize that this is the third consecutive qualifying campaign in which they've topped their group? And that in the previous two major tournaments they reached the quarters? Belgium has one of the best squads in Europe. Hell, even -insert your favorite terrible manager- could have gotten them qualified out of that group (one of the weakest in Europe this cycle)

I didn't see you going in this direction, but I did expect that your argument for Martinez over Bruce would be pretty weak because the fact of the matter is that warts and all, a guy like Bruce (and I just picked him because he's a "generic" manager in the English game who happened to manage the same club as Martinez) really has a more impressive managerial record than Roberto. And the inability of folks to come up with an on the field argument for hiring Martinez suggests that it really does all comes back to the fact that he's foreign, pretty good looking, articulate and says all the rights things (which of course he said on ESPN during WC coverage). To be fair those charms don't just seem to work on BS posters, as there's really no other explanation as to how he was able to get the Belgium job...

The411 repped this.
  24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I always say this, but in parts of 2012 (Brazil friendly at FedEx) and in the summer of 2013 the US played some of the most attractive/fun soccer I've ever seen. Those years had goal scoring monsters Jozy and Clint, MB was in the form of his life.

Stuff changed in JKs second cycle, the team dipped in quality and he did too. But I look back very fondly on 2012-2013, even though he really soured at the end.

As per Bilic, I'm cool with considering this. Lets wait until the summer though to hire.

25. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Because the marginal value of a dollar spent on the player development pipeline is much, much higher than a dollar spent above a respectable threshold on the senior national team coach.

The US hiring Carlo Ancelotti would be like putting gold-plated rims on a Chevy Cavalier.

Spend money on the engine please.