SL Benfica vs U Leiria [R] Expect 60,000 more in attendance

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Frank Cunha, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    If Benfica was helped then why did they lose to Rio Ave? Wouldn't the official find some way to give Benfica a penalty kick late in the match? How about when Nuno Assis was fouled inside the penalty area? If the officials were helping Benfica then they should've started with giving them the PK right there to put them ahead 1-0 late. No?

How about the match against Maritimo? If Benfica were being helped by officiating, then wouldn't Nuno Gome's disallowed goal counted?

You put out claims, yet, you never mention when Benfica has actually been helped out in a match. When you make your claim, please post the incidents you feel Benfica has been helped.

And, please don't say you were talking about Petit's comments because you've been saying this stuff since Benfica beat Maritimo two weeks ago.

I didn't see the Beira-Mar goal. But, there's been a lot of talk around here that it was a legit goal. I think your fellow Portista, fereirrajl, agreed that it was a clean goal (sorry, if i'm misquoting you fereirrajl). But, again, I didn't see it and really can't tell you anything more. But, don't you think Sporting may have been helped a little if that's the case?

If you want to see who's been helped more often than not, just take a look at which team has had the benefit of more penalty kicks get called in their favor. I can garauntee you that Benfica won't top that list.

Good luck to your Porto next week, PassItOn.

2. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Exactly!!!

3. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    First and foremost, you need to let go of this Porto issue.
    If Sporting can't win then yes I'll pull for Porto, my beautiful daughter is a Porto fan, (Glod bless her soul), and if that makes her day it makes mine(unless they play SCP). I don't instill any club favoritism on the family. My son like me is a die heart SCP fan, and I'll pick him up from school early to watch tomorrow's game. Don't you wish you could do the same, but the Lampioes are out, has usual. Sorry!
    The game issues should all be documented on these forums, so read on.

4. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Neither is your team Porto. What game are you watching tomorrow? Oh, I see, you'll be just like everyone else and pulling for a Portuguese team now that your club isn't in it anymore.

5. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Not lampioes, that's for sure.
    Now, I'm really confused. You still don't get it. :confused:

6. SLB4EVERSLB

SLB4EVERSLB Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Toronto
    What team will you and your son be pulling for in the Taca?
    SCP will accomplish the Tri this year, 3 years without winning anything 3 years in
    3rd place :p
    I want to see SCP without Liedson.
    Good Luck

7. SLB4EVERSLB

SLB4EVERSLB Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Right now i have the luxury of not worrying about any other teams results, Benfica controls its destiny, if they screw up we have no one else to blame besides ourselves.

8. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    At least it's not 11.
    The only reason you won the cup last year was that it meant nothing to Porto, since they had the league, and the CL.

9. SLB4EVERSLB

SLB4EVERSLB Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Its 10, and sure thing convince your self that a final for a cup means nothing, thats why Mourinho was crying like a little girl after the game.

10. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    This is the dumbest thing I've seen you post in these forums. You're the biggest anti-Benfiquista there is on here. Go ask the players and coaches on both teams if that cup meant anything to them, because they all seemed to be trying their best to win it.

11. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I'm starting to think you're not a true Portista. I mean, I know you're as Anti-Benfiquista as they come and it anger you a bit that they were the ones who blew your team's chance at the "treble" last season. But, that's about the stupidest thing you could say.

Every Portista, Mourinho, and the players aren't there to take it easy and play a meaningless Cup Final. Believe me. In England, the Carling Cup is the lesser of the cups and Mourinho and Chelsea wanted it just as much as anyone.

And, Porto had only the league title won when they played the Cup Final. I believe that Champions League Final came a week later. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

12. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    You're right, the CL final was a week and a half later if Im not mistaken.

And no it wasn't meaningless at all. No Cup final, and specially against Benfica, ever is.

But to be fair you guys can't simply overlook the fact that Porto was down to 10 men from the 30th minute, and from then on I believe Porto was managing their effort. They tried to win (and in fact dominated great parts of the game with 10 men) but that final must have been in the back of their head too.

Its the second time I see Brian mention the treble like if it was something we were desperatly trying to get and Benfica somehow ruined it. That's simply not the case. As soon as the Cup final was over me and every portista I know thought "oh well screw it, the important thing is to get the CL".

I didn't like losing to Benfica, but I hardly lost any sleep about it either.

Why are we talking about this again?! :)

13. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I doubt you have that luxury. I really do. At least judging by last week where Benfica showed it's just as likely to lose points as any other of teams chasing.

14. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Let's let it go folks.

15. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    The treble is a nice thing to have. All I've said is that Benfica spoiled the treble. Take it easy.

Mourinho talked about winning a treble during the season Porto won the UEFA Cup. So, it's a nice thing that I'm sure Mourinho and Porto wanted. Not the be all and end of all things. But, something I'm sure would look like nice at the end of the season.

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  17. SLB4EVERSLB

SLB4EVERSLB Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Hes a Largato not a Portista.

18. SLB4EVERSLB

SLB4EVERSLB Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Of course i do, look at Porto if they when every game they cant say they will be champions, only 2 teams control there destiny Benfica and Largatos.

19. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I stand corrected, but due to the Euro the cup final was played earlier.

Actually on May 16th, and the CL final on the 26th.
    Didn't Mourinho some changes in the starting lineup?
    What do you think he had his eyes set on, the SL cup or the CL cup?

20. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    The only lineup change that I remember was that Nuno was the goalkeeper for Porto instead of Vitor Baia.

21. bora bora

bora bora New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Brisbane
    believe me, thats a huge difference!!!

22. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    Yeah, he made the team better

23. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Originally, RTPi was supposed to show the game live. Now, their website says it's airing at 9:45 EST on tape delay.

24. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Benfica 0-1 Uniao Leiria

Joao Paulo 18'

25. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Leiria's keeper Costinha has been incredible.