SL Benfica 2014-15 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by nbstriker8, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This team is missing a leader in attack like Nuno Gomes

2. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I hear you but I dont think that is our biggest problem. I think it lies more on our back end. First of all, we have Eliseu as our LB, he is a huge liability defensively. He is much better suited to be a defensive HB in my opinion. Second, our captain Luisao because of age has become to slow to react to quick passed teams/players and then we do have a very good RB Semedo but he is injured. When you have issues at 3 of 4 positions at the back, makes it difficult.

3. nuno10slb4live

Jan 23, 2013
    New Beige, Mass.
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree time to see if Lopez can sort up to the plate.

eurodad repped this.
  4. nuno10slb4live

Jan 23, 2013
    New Beige, Mass.
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I also think Raul has no place on this team atleast not yet. IMHO Nelo is a superior player with better skill on the ball.

5. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Benfica really should of signed Hassan Kouka from Rio Ave before he signed for Braga he already has 2 goals in 3 Europa League matches.

After Jefferson IMHO Marvin Zeegelaar has been the best Leftback in the Liga.

Central Defense they should call back Fabio Cardoso who had been excellent at Paços and Guzzo from Tondela

6. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Honestly guys, I think you guys have a team to win the league, but for whatever reason RV is playing those players. A guy like Talisca has a spot in your starting 11 IMO. He's a guy that will attract people to him thus opening up lanes. Instead you have your motor of your team Gaitain doing everything. The guy is coming back to get the ball early and taking up the left side, instead of it being given to him in stride.

Lisandro Lopez is a good CB and should be given more opportunity.

Cristante is a big midfielder (over 6 ft tall i believe) that was brought in from AC Milan, and was never given a opportunity with JJ or RV now.

You guys have talent. I just don't think RV is making the right decisions to be honest.

7. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Agreed Lisandro needs to be brought in. He would be a better alternative to Luisao at this time. I agree to a point about Talisca but what I do fear about him is that he tries to carry too much and gives the ball away too often and sets up other team for dangerous counter attacks. Yes we are relying on Gaitan too much but that may be out of necessity. After the points you made we still have not addressed our LB or our RB positions. I would not mind trying Adel Taarabt . I know he comes with baggage but he could take some pressure off of Gaitan.

8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    RV's reliance on 4-4-2 would work if the defense was up to par. With 4-4-2 you don't have defensive cover in midfield and the backline is too exposed. This wouldn't be a probably two seasons ago (and wasn't because JJ used a 4-4-2 at Benfica many times) but with Luisao getting old, Maxi gone, Eliseu as LB you have a problem.

JoseEmidio, nuno10slb4live and eurodad repped this.
  9. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Someone needs to take some pressure of him. At this rate, he will be drained 3/4 into the season.
    Agreed, your LB needs to be replaced. As for your RB, Somedo is promising future RB. Unfortunately, during learning/development stage comes growing pains/errors. It's natural.

eurodad repped this.
  10. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Sorry, I did not want to imply I am not patient with Somedo, I love the kid, problem is that he is injured now and will be off for quite some time to recover from surgery.

11. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton

Agreed. Well put.

12. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not at all. It's just natural that the youth will take time to develop and reach their potential. With that time comes growing pains.
    Trust me, as a sporting fan we're used to seeing the team bet on their academy. Which is great, don't get me wrong. We just weren't able to hold on to them long enough to make a decent profit. Also, trying to win with youth is next to impossible. Need that mix of veterans and youth.