Sky Blue in 2015

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by Blaze20, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Why not, first game has come and gone. With a win against the defending champions on the road, the least we can do is have a discussion going.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Ok, I watch the game and thought the tactics from Sky Blue was top notch, but than again as I've always stated, Gabarra is a good tactician and very rarely make mistakes in that area.

The game itself was not very enjoyable to watch on the internet but I thought SB did what they had to do and left with the points which is what that matters.

From my perspective, SB is really strong in the center of the pitch starting from Rampone and Cutshall in the back and then Killion and Freels in the middle and Nadim out top. Given that this group was going against the strongest part of FCKC team with the likes of Holiday, Bucz, Sauerbrunn, and Lepeilbet, I thought they held their own very well. For stretches in the match they control the pace though the final ball was lacking. Wing play from SB was abysmal though and this is where they could have broken the game open. You are not going to go through the pairing of Sauerbrunn/LePeilbet as they pretty much shut down Nadim but Robinson and Moros are very attack-able, especially Moros.

However Hayes and Ohara (who I'm guessing was playing higher than Morris?) were shockingly bad and devoid of any ideas. Hayes had no ideas once she crossed the halfway line. Ohara had speed on her side but her end product was shocking. There was this one time she got by Moros pretty easily and the finish was so bad it was embarrassing. I can see now why Ellis favors Kling. Deep down I think she is better than that but may need some matches under her belt up top to regain that confidence again.

Anyway, good game from SB overall

CoachJon and kolabear repped this.
  3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Blue looks like a decent team but KC was much the better team yesterday. Amy Rodriguez looked like the wild as a March hare Amy of 3 years ago and more. She didn't put a single shot on frame while I was watching and she had great looks at the goal. And Brittany Cameron is a very good GK, very good at coming out aggressively, much like the national team 'keepers like Solo and Harris.

4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Hmm I think actually Cameron might be a better sweeper keeper than either Hope or Harris. It is the normal stuff that gets her in trouble. I can remember the game in Portland last season when the won 1-0 or something and she completely dominated her 18-yard box.
    As for Arod, I want to attribute that to rust but she's just from camp and unlike Ohara, have been seeing regular minutes as of late.
    I agree FCKC was the better team but I thought SBFC had a game plan and stuck to that. You could tell from the beginning they were playing for the draw and that the Nadim goal was a bonus.

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    According to the rosters I saw, SBFC was playing a 5 back with Ohara as the LB (It was like a 5-3-2)... but who knows how accurate those are. But she didn't seem to be as attack minded as she has been when up top, always getting back to defend when Seattle had the ball.

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    That would explain why she was invisible for large portions of the game if she was on the west coast defending for WNY, which to be fair the need it :)

7. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, according to the stats she had 3 shots, 0 on goal. Though I could've sworn she took more than 3 shots just in the first half, but whatever. Maybe the statistician took pity on her and cut the shots in half...

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    lol. Woops! I meant KC.

9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I think the counter for shots stop working once you register 3 consecutive shots not on target. On a serious note, I expected more from her and I think the only time she showed something was when Moros got in her face. Her performance was very Mewis-like

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The commentators certainly kept pointing out how far she was coming off her line. But I think you meant the 1-0 win from 2013. The 1-0 win from last year was started by Loyden, not Cameron.

Their game plan for most of it was bunker down and hope for Nadim to get a goal on a counter. Once she scored, it opened up a bit for them.

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to start distinguishing Mewises (Mewi?). Sam is going to pass by Kristie more sooner than later.

12. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    We already frequently call Sam "MewTwo." I guess that would make Kristie "MewOne," but that hasn't really taken off yet.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yeah Sam is officially MewTwo and Kristie is Mewis.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    The one intern they have in Chicago must be bored as he/she awaits the championship match.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    What is going on with Sky Blue? Here we are in the middle of November and still no season tickets are being sold, and no announcement of a new coach. Very disturbing to say the least.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah I'm definitely getting - not exactly worried, but definitely weirded out. Unless there's a major change in the works, this is behind the curve even for them.

18. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Just noticed on twitter that they are advertising for a Director of Sales. Did someone quit or get fired? Does the league have the power to step in at some point to deal with what seems be a an organization in disarray?

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    What makes you think they are in disarray? The turn over in administrative staff for all NWSL is pretty high. So this is not something unique to SBFC

20. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Oh, just the fact they are not selling season tickets at this point and the not hiring of a new coach yet, is a bit disconcerting, especially from an organization that has been the lowest in attendance all three years.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FWIW, the organization clearly isn't dead... They've been tweeting support for NYRB and the Cosmos all this month, and they've been making weekly write-ups or their overseas players for their website.

22. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, good thing they are spending all this effort promoting those unaffiliated mens teams. I'm sure that'll help them with their (as yet nonexistent) ticket sales for next year...

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat