Skip Bayless on the Jim Rome Show... and I agree

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by theRedSea, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theRedSea

theRedSea New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Did anyone happen to listen to Skip Bayless today on the Jim Rome show?

If so, I want to start some post-discussion about this subject: why soccer is thought of as 'boring', 'stupid', etc. in this country. And please don't feed the trolls.

Skip Bayless opened the show saying that he watched the GER ITA game, and last week's FRA BRA game. As with most radio guys, he continually bashed soccer with the usual arguments: it's low scoring, its boring, "i dont get it", etc.

He specifically mentioned two points:

1) Offsides. He doesn't understand why, if you beat your defender, it can be offsides. People called in to argue what we know as obvious: it is unfair to beat your defender when you already have an advantage (by being offsides). I thought he lost this argument and toward the end, he conceded.

2) Stoppage time. Skip's 2nd argument was that why, in the year 2006, there is such a thing as stoppage time. The problem he sees with it is that it is at the ref's 'discretion'. He does not understand why you would leave something that important up to a ref, when already refs are responsible for so many bad calls and errors. In his perfect world, the clock would just temporarily stop during an injury (like an injury timeout in football), and continue until the end of a game. 90 mins and we call it over.

Then, the soccer nation started to call in. A senile Portugal war veteran, an Englishman, and a few other US fans. One thing that I kept noticing was the soccer guys saying "you just dont get it", and Skipp continually repeating "tell me what there is to get". Some of them did a decent job explaining the rules but others had some very weak arguments.

The anti-soccer nation followed afterward. Most of their arguments were centered on the stupidity of flopping and diving by soccer players. Skip commented on how when a player gets fouled, he looks as if he tore both his ACLs, ripped his Achillies heel, and broke his neck, carried off on a stretcher, only to come back 2 minutes later in perfect shape.

This went back and forth for roughly 3 hours.

All bickering aside, I think the radio show really hit the nail on the head about just why soccer isn't popular in the US: its not the game itself, its 1) the refs and 2) the athletes.

1. The ref's decisions weigh too much in soccer. Think about it this way: In a high scoring game such as football and basketball, a bad call by the ref has minimal impact in the game, except for when the call determines the outcome at the end (for example, a bad call in a 100-100 tie leading to a victory in a basketball game). In soccer, where the average number of goals is 2, maybe 3, one bad call inside the box is worth potentially 33-50% of the outcome of the game. This changes everything.

2. Due to #1, the players milk what they can from the refs. I hate, hate how FIFA does not embrace technology. Because the ref's have a lot of muscle, the players do what they can to embellish a foul. If some technology was put into play (replay tv, post-game replay reviews), maybe it would fix this problem.

What are your thoughts?

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is death an option?

3. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    If I outlive Skip Bayless I will shit on his grave and send pictures of the act to his family, and publish them on the internet. This isn't a lie, I would really do it.

4. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the hell is Skip Bayless?

5. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't take a person seriously if their name is Skip.:D

6. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    How old is Skip? Just so I have an idea how long I'll have to wait for the photos. :D

7. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, is this guy relatively important or is this like saying "Jimmy Jackass doesnt like waterpolo?"

8. theRedSea

theRedSea New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Skip Bayless is the co-host of Cold Pizza on ESPN and often subs in for the Jim Rome show when he is out.

I know not everyone here cares about soccer gaining some mainstream attention outside of the World Cup, but I think its reasonable that we question why other sports personnel believe soccer sucks.

yes, his mother really named him Skip.

9. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    I honestly don't hate him for his anti-soccer bullshit. I hate him for his "my shit doesn't smell" attitude. Guess what, Skip. Mine does.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Jim Rome tries to make an entertaining radio show. Skip Bayless just yells ridiculous opinions louder than most people and gets paid for it.

11. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that guy looks like a f@g i wouldnt talk if a was him i heard him refer nfl kickers as "soccer stars" once hes a dumbass and i wouldnt pay attention to him hes never gonna get it he wouldnt last half and hour on the pitch forget his ass

12. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God forbid if a rational discussion breaks out here!

I think the point about the refs is completely valid. Part of that can be offset by the "it's part of the game" argument, but missed and blown calls make the game seem unfair at times. It is only natural that on a field that large, having one ref on the field and two limited to sideline views, that many calls will be missed.

As for the dives, this is a terrible argument for anyone that has ever enjoyed a sport where Shaq takes a charge, a wide receiver tries to draw a interference call or a batter pretends to be hit by a pitch. This behavior in soccer is stoked by the refereeing situation.

13. davidalanreese

davidalanreese New Member

May 23, 2004
    Dallas
    It's a matter of knowledge and culture - like any sport. If you don't grow up around the game and/or it doesn't naturally interest the individual - they aren't going to understand or enjoy it. People can try to find individual aspects of the game, and they have spent 40 years of doing it with soccer in the U.S., that are objectionable but that's like one blind person asking another blind person to explain the color blue.

Referee's play a big part of several American sports, as big a roll as in soccer. If you don't think so, ask Mark Cuban about basketball referee's or ask any baseball pitcher about different umpires' strike zone. As for milking what they can from ref's - basketball is all about getting into the penalty and knowing how to draw falls from your opponent. Think about all the players whose game is based upon learning how to lean in on defenders and "draw" fouls.

The strategy and tactics of soccer - the movement of players on the field, runs off the ball, the idea of "space" - these things are not natural instinct. One learns these by either being a spectator or growing up around others who understand and can explain these things. If one doesn't really understand that aspect of the game then in a lot of ways soccer is a seemingly strange game where the best way to score/dominate/win isn't exactly intuitive. That's just like football or baseball or basketball, though. Every play in football isn't designed to score a touchdown, guards don't always drive to the basket, and baseball has a more complex, contrived set of rules than just about any sport and if you don't think so just ruminate on the infield fly rule, ground rule doubles, balks, foul-tip strike outs, stolen bases, and dropped third strikes.

Culturally, I do think American's like fast-paced, high-action, highly competitive games. Look at NASCAR and compare it to F1 - NASCAR is very delibaretly designed to produce lots of lead changes, lots of competitive teams/drivers with a chance to win, and will actually modify rules during the season if one particular car manufacturer's body design appears to be getting too dominant. Formula 1 might go a whole race with no lead changes, teams produce and modify their own cars while keeping their modifications very secret, and there is no effort taken to make sure one team or driver doesn't dominate the season. Also, I think Americans have a greater taste for contact and physicality than is accepted in soccer and would probably appreciate the physicality of English soccer of the 50's and 60's more than the game we see now (although I'm much more of a fan of a less physical game).

I don't think the answer for soccer in the U.S. is to try and "Americanize" soccer. I think the goal for U.S. soccer should be to continue to build and strengthen it's niche in the U.S. sports landscape, to encourage more intergration with the growing Latin American demographic which have a stronger soccer culture, and to make some inroads into the black communities. It doesn't matter if dinosaurs like Skip Bayless "gets" soccer - they will or they won't but soccer has made it this far in the U.S. without him so what could he possibly add to the movement?

14. theRedSea

theRedSea New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    thanks for yout input. I was starting to think that before these last 2 posts, I wasn't going to get a single decent opinion/argument.

As much as I like soccer, I disagree with what you and Pyro said in comparing diving in soccer to other sports. Theres drawing a foul, which I can completely understand, and then theres acting like you just got your legs tore off, requiring a stretcher, only to come back into the game 2 seconds later.

If a defensive back gets called for pass interference, do you see the wide receiver falling in pain and requiring a stretcher in order to convince the ref that he made the right call? I will concede that I have seen acting in ALL sports, NFL and NBA included, but only in soccer do you see the blatant acting and laying on the floor as if they just got run over. I mean come on!!! Hockey, NFL, Rugby, hell any sport has harder hits but you don't see medical personnel with stretchers coming to save them. The players look weak. America values toughness. America values athletes playing through the pain. This is a prime reason why I think soccer will just never make it here.

Refs play a role in every sport, but a ref's decision (correct or inncorret) doesn't have the weight of a soccer ref's decision. Like I said, a bad PK call can change roughly 50% of the outcome of the game. A bad strike call in baseball is 1 bad call of potentionally 200+ pitches. A bad call in a 100 - 100 basketball game leading to a victory is a bad call, but there were probably 20 or more fouls given that game that could have gone both ways. Only in soccer do you see the weight of 1 call changing the entire aspect of the game. Case in point: Gooch's call against Ghana. Score becomes 2-1 (3 goals total, so 1 call = 33% of the makeup of the end result).

Don't get me wrong, the game itself is a thing of true beauty. I think America can really get into soccer in the next 10-20 years, if it just follows the same formula as the other sports: take the ref as much out of the game as possible. Do not leave the game in the ref's hand. FIFA has a tough job to do because it needs to make every country happy in terms of rules and regulations. But I really think that change is needed, if it is ever going to get past what it is in this country.

15. hankleberry

hankleberry New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Davis, CA

Sorry, I love soccer, but a single charge or interference call in basketball or football plays nowhere near the role that a flop in the box does in soccer.

There are comparable incidents in football, basketball, etc., but there are fewer of them, and they play a much smaller role in determining the outcome.

16. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with you since you are talking about "in the box".

I'd be willing to place money on the fact that truly faked injuries (not played up ones) constitute about the same amount of penalties that charges or pass interference calls get.

I'd agree that the dramaticizing is a turn off to Americans, but it really is a turn off to the rest of the world too. You'd have a hard time finding Brazilian fans that were not embarassed by Rivaldo's famous corner kick flop in WC 2002. That being said is why statement about soccer "NEVER" catching on here are just off! Although those fans may not be proud of their players actions, they understand that the player is just trying to give his team an advantage. The American public in general doesn't truly get that yet. They don't get how a yellow card on the right player can change a teams style of play (an extreme example, but think about a key center back getting a yellow early on). They don't mind Shaq flying into the second row after he collides takes a charge from Tony Parker, because they understand the advantage that Shaq has just given the team. Isn't that taking advantage of the rules in more or less the same manner as Rivaldo? The diving is not a long term impediment to the sport,s growth in this country, but it certainly does not help. (BTW - the cure for diving is better/more referees or just the official that refereed the Germany match yesterday.)

17. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a similar note, (not to thread jack, but. . .)

If you get a chance to read Frank Deford's newest column for cnnsi.com. At least he has a way of pissing other sports off, too (in this case, tennis)

18. hankleberry

hankleberry New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Davis, CA

Well, we just disagree. I don't think there's nearly as much out-right faking in any of the other major American sports. I'd love to see the video of Shaq going 2 rows deep on a charge from Tony Parker.

Most casual soccer fans I know understand perfectly well the advantage that flopping gains, but find the practice dishonorable or unsporting. It's not a comprehension problem.

I'd welcome post-game reviews or in-game over-rules to correct for the flopping. Until it gets punished, it will continue.

19. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    To his "tell me what there is to get" I would simply ask him to please explain to me the difference between a 4-5-1 and a 3-4-3 (other than how many more/less players there are at each position) and why would a team use one formation over the other?

My guess is the majority of people who "bash" soccer would not be able to explain this... because they don't know the difference. And if you don't understand what tactics a team is using and what they are trying to accomplish with them, it is almost impossible to watch the game and get any excitement out of it because you have no idea what is going on. It just looks like they are randomly running around and kicking the ball with it occassionally going into the net for a point. If you view the sport like that, of course you are going to find it "boring".

20. Battlecruiser

Battlecruiser New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    While those are both two problems that many people have with soccer, I don't think that explains why soccer isn't as big as it should be. But to be honest, I don't really have an answer either other than us Americans play many sports, and so soccer is just one out of the many.

21. DSM1

DSM1 New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    I am surprised Bayless spent so much time talking about soccer. To me that's a sign of progress. I'm not surprised the anti-soccer types went wild. They really must have felt threatened.

Have to agree that I wish FIFA made better use of technology and the diving is definitely a turnoff. As a long time soccer fan, I will never accept diving and flopping. I understand the rationale, but it just sucks. It's awful to see someone as talented as C. Ronaldo -- and he is hardly alone -- constantly resort to this, even at times when he may well have done better staying on his feet.

22. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't need those mainstream folks to get it. Let the soccer culture just continue to slowly grow by those folks who want to get it.

Every sport has problems -- we have diving and simulation and the whole embellishment thing. These guys know they don't like soccer first. Then they find their reasons. Fixing our problems (which would be a good thing and well worth our efforts) would not result in them getting it or liking soccer.

What makes soccer great is that one goal matters. I hope we never lose sight of that or destroy that.

23. Unico10

Unico10 Member

Nov 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am not disputing that in soccer there is acting.

However I want to make a couple of point which seem to escape everyone:

1) Most Refs will not call a foul until you hit the ground, therefore to have a career a player needs to learn to sell the first couple of touches in the knees or ankles. Otherwise by the age of 18 his ankles and/or knees will be gone.
    This has NOTHING to do with diving in the box... I am just talking of going down when fouled.

2) About the pain: have you ever been kicked in the ankle? Or kicked behind the knee or thigh? Players only wear a little shinguard... there are no pads or anything. Absolutely, there is acting, however most of the pain in soccer is acute, stingy and short lived (unless there is a serious injury).
    So, you get off the field, shake it off... get some ice on it and than you go back in and play.
    That doesn't mean that the pain wasn't real and that doesn't mean that my ankles weren't blue on some Mondays.

That is part of the game... if Americans will never understand, so be it.

24. davidalanreese

davidalanreese New Member

May 23, 2004
    Dallas
    As for diving and flopping, I have my own theory around this:

1. Teams, both international and top club teams, play higher pressure defense with higher lines both in midfield and on the back line. In the 70's and 80's, I saw teams that pulled their midfield back well within their own half of the field, always tried to stay well behind the ball, and marked man-to-man on the back line with a sweeper in the back. I'm not saying that always happened but I think it was the predominant tactic. Now, midfielders play high-pressure defense on the opponents side of the midline or just inside the midline, there is a strong emphasis on slowing down or stopping counter-attack possibilities before they can get started, pack more midfielders into the midfield often with a holding defender in-front of the defensive lines, and defenders play flat-back zones that emphasize stopping attacks with offsides.

2. The new tactics result in less fluid play, less ability to have midfield build-up in attack, and many more one-on-one tackling confrontations that end up stopping or severly limiting end-to-end action

3. Players in midfield can't afford to get beaten without severly hurting the back-line zone. This means midfielders have to shut down the attack at all costs which means more slide-tackles - slide-tackles that may be aimed at getting the ball but are down in such a way that even if the ball isn't won then the other player can't "beat" them i.e. take out slides that get feet or legs if they don't get the ball.

4. This means more fouling in midfield and less flow, build-up, and counter-attacking.

5. With midfields crammed full of 10 to 14 players from both sides, no room to put together any build-up, and lots and lots of chippy fouls - teams try to get cards on the other team to cut down the other team's ability to continue playing high pressure defense in midfield or actually get a player kicked out of the game to get some actual space. Players are frustrated and they take out that frustration in committing more fouls or in trying to draw fouls and cards.

6. Ultimately, this sets up set pieces to be even more important all the time and more emphasis on getting more set pieces which just continue the cycle.

So, as a fan, I find the new tactics extremely frustrating except when my team is doing it and they are winning. I can't argue against the tactics - they make sense. What I hate as a fan is the constant disruption in the flow of the game, the constant fouling in the middle of the field, and playing to get cards on the other team's players. It used to be diving was predominately a tactic employed in and around the penalty area. Now it takes place everywhere with increasing level of acting to try and up the ante so officials feel like they have to throw more and more yellow cards to get control of games until they get to a point that they have boxed themselves in and half to give a red on a second yellow. That's what I dislike but how can you stop the tactic? If anything, you've seen that no player or coach will pull away from the tactic - they'll just plug in another player and complain about the state of officiating. No player is going to quit because if he doesn't keep playing high pressure defense then he is going to get beat and the other team will get a dangerous chance and they'll get kicked out before they will get taken out by the coach for being ineffective. FIFA tells the referees to be tighter on fouling and diving but it just adds to the avalanche of cards - and then they talk about having suspensions after 3 yellows instead of two yellows, in effect under-cutting their own sanction.

So, cards aren't stopping the problem. Teams and players aren't going to stop the problem. What can you do? There are the ideas of some technological/replay technology/after-game-review but FIFA doesn't appear to really want to do anything to remove stars from playing games. There are those who think by pressing the rules harder will solve the problem but I think that's been taken to it's limit and the cure seems worse than the disease. There is the idea of making players who are hurt stay off the field for a set limit of time but your going to end up causing several mini-crisis everytime a player is sent of - was he really faking, was he really hurt, how hurt was he? That seems like more problems not less.

My suggestion? Outlaw slide-tackles - no more leaving your feet to engage in a tackle. Ends the cornerstone technique that's part of the high-pressure defense tactic. Ends the main way players are getting hacked up with overly agressive tactics. Allows players with greater skill and technique who beat someone to actually beat them instead of a player managing to slide in and stop an exciting play with a boring free throw, foul, or dive. Slide-tackling is a relatively new technique that was used sparingly up until the last 20 years when it become the most pervasive defensive tactic.

Crazy idea - probably. I doubt that anything will actually be done but I do think the flow of the game has been damaged some in recent years.

25. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    skip's comments are ridiculous.

anyone who claims that the don't like the offside rules or can't understand them DOESN'T want to understand them. they are easy. if americans can grasp the fluid foul calls of the NBA or pass interference calls in the NFL or any of the other garbage rules that litter american football, i think they can figure out the offsides rule. heck, doesn't hockey have an offsides rule? this shouldn't be so new and terrifying to most americans. those who act like it is probably are too stupid to think of any of the more legit reasons for hating soccer.

as for the flopping. has anyone ever seen an nba game? there is flopping, and the like in every sport. you ever seen a catcher tag a guy he knew was safe and then start walking away like the inning is over? even before the ump made the call? ever seen vlade divac play? there is flopping and attempts to influence officiating in every sport.