Skillfull, Hopefully Interesting Talents: The Summer 19 Transfer Forum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Feb 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think (if Brewster is good enough) I haven't really seen him play but the talk ounds good. Then we've got a whole bunch of guys who can switch positions to back-up the main attack.
    So, a straight Mane back-up (which isn't an easy thing to find.....) might not be a priority to bring in.
    Sadio Mane is ... the equivalent of and often better than
    Hazard - Mbappe - Neymar - Sane - Ronaldo
    in that position.....

2. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    newterp and Suss repped this.
  4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    imasyko repped this.
  5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We aren't getting "pipped" by anyone. If we didn't get a player it's because Klopp didn't see the value in the player or the money being asked for him.

6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool’s Ovie Ejaria is for sale.

I'm trying to figure Klopp out at the moment. Yesterday he complained that we're going to be short of attacking players due to the fact that our first choice trio all had summer commitments AFTER playing June 1 with us yet he seems intent to not make a move this summer.
    It seems evident that we need one more high quality player in this area of the pitch as we have Brewster and Origi in reserve and not much else. To remedy this we should have already added a player in this area so we could cover for early season lag and the inevitable fixture backup early in the new year we're going to be fighting this year with our participation in a 8 competitions.

bayern is god repped this.
  7. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Yup. Seems like we'll be a couple injuries away from a "crisis" somewhere on the pitch all season at this rate, but Klopp knows best on this I trust.

8. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Club is deluded if they think they front three and other areas of the field will go through like potentially 70 games this year without injuries. We had a lucky run last season with little to no injuries to positions lacking top end depth. Teams below us are signing players. Freaking Man City apparently want Mabape. Yet we are sitting back saying last year's team was good enough. We aren't going to score almost 100 points this time. Can't replace a top end player with a fringe player if one goes down early in the season and the next window months away and still expected to fire. Need a quality signing to cover Trent and robbo, one to cover our front three and a creative mid to thread stubborn defences and be a long range threat to keep defences honest and allow us to score more.

9. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The club does not think that, the club thinks that there is no one available right now for a price deemed fair or who Klopp needs.

Origi, Shaquiri, Brewster, Keita and Ox are all capable of playing in the forward 3. It is pointless buying an attacker if they are going to be behind those 5 and possbly Wilson in Klopp's selection. That is just spending money for the sake of it.

If we don't buy anyone in the next two weeks the market reopens in january. The club is under the impression that at the very least we can cope without another attacker till them.

Of course they are. Teams below us are also selling players, teams below us are making adjustments to their squads because they did not meet expectations last season.

Two years ago Man United finished second and in the summer spent 70 million on a new CM and FB. It did not improve them. Spending is only a good thing if the manager is confident that those players will improve the team.

The last two times we finished 2nd we completly fell apart in the next season and it was not down to a lack of spending, it was down to not keeping a key player. Rafa's team who finished 2nd added Aquilani, Johnson, Kyriagos and Maxi Rodriguez. It mattered little as we lost Xabi.

Rodgers finished second and spent amost 120 million on new recruits that summer it did not really matter as we lost a key player.

People are really overstating how devestating not spending for 1 window is, especially when are previous transfer windows have been excellent. We've added more first team players in the last three years than pretty much every British team competing for the top 6.

We are not Man City. We can't afford to have Mbappe as a rotation player. He's not moving this summer but when he does his wages are likely to be more than Salah and Mane's combined.

First of all how do you know that? This time last year were you predicting that we'd get 97 points and win the Champions League?

And yeah we are unlikely to get 97 points, but then so are Man City. 97 points would have seen us win all but four of the Premiership titles.

Man City have lost Kompany, a key player to their dressing room and who's goal against Burnley won them the league. They have also lost Delph, a solid squad player for them these last few years. That is 46 appearances between the two of them last season.

They've brought in Rodri, a player they need to replace 34 year old Fernandinho. Their other signing is a full back they loaned out a few years ago, sold and have bought back, the equivalent of Wilson or Kent for us.

Had we spent 25 million on Wilson and Kent instead of simply recalled them from loan would there be this much criticism?

10. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep -- this has been a growing trend since transfer windows were introduced - esp in the summer when there's no footie to keep everyone's attention engaged. doom'n'gloom time !!

Navieko and idreamofpikas repped this.
  12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pikas - great post

idreamofpikas repped this.
  13. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think the friendly should alleviate some people's fears. Wijnaldum and Ox are linking up with Origi fine, Milner is getting into goalscoring opportunities. We have a midfield that can, in the unliely event that all three of our main forwards are out, step into those attacking positons.

Wijnaldum in particular seems to be comforable anywhere on the pitch, a solid 7-8/10 player regardless of where he plays.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve said this before - Origi is starting to look like he did before his injury. He could be primed for a big year.

LiverpoolFanatic and idreamofpikas repped this.
  15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's most certainly awkward, and by no means prototypical, but when he gets minutes, he has end product.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  16. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Have a lot of respect for you as a poster and should say the board missed you when you weren't around and its good to have you back :)

I certainly didnt want to sound like the "Sky is falling and we need to act right NOW" and you can pull out any old posts of mine and you'll find im one of the biggest Klopp apologist's around these parts and always the glass is half full guy.

Fortunately or unfortunately our Domestic foe who is our biggest threat City will always be relentless under Pep and they pipped us to the title last year without a certain KDB in the team for a majority of the Season...I'm definitely not saying sign someone cause City/Bayern/Madrid are signing players...Yes the player and the price has to be right..But with our workload and having seen Origi/Shaq/Lallana/Keita go missing in some big games that ONE Front three option to rotate Bobby/Salah/Mane could actually be crucial(I recollect Tips,Speaker and several others saying the same thing all over the transfer Forum)

Cheers.YNWA.

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was going to post almost exactly the same myself .... (maybe not so much Keita as a realistic option) but the other 4 are totally good as back-ups....
    What is the problem so many seem to have with that???

This urgency to spend money willy-nilly is damn silly. (I want to see this Brewster kid play, for starters ....)

idreamofpikas repped this.
  18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd have to say that Aquilani being injured and not being played by Rafa didn't help that. He looked very capable of replacing Alonso when he actually played.

19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whichever way you look at it, replacing Alonso with Aquilani or attempting to replace him with Barry the previous season was one of Benitez’s biggest misjudgements. It also happened when there was little to no margin for error with those two parasites in charge.

But it’s been a long way since then.

LiverpoolFanatic and idreamofpikas repped this.
  20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's also quite unpredictable, which makes him hard to defend in the box. See our 3rd goal against Barcelona, which was basically down to him pulling a reverse move..... and then a quick cross from that....

21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was only first available after we already failed to qualify for the CL knockout stages. We bought him injured and the gamble that he would be ready sooner didn’t pay off.

22. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    To be fair though at that time Rafa was being starved of sufficient transfer funds by Hicks and Gillett . As often was the case he needed to sell in order to buy and I think the idea was to sell Xabi for 20m then buy Barry ( who was at the end of his contract with Villa)for 8-10 and use the extra to get Jovetic.
    But it all fell apart when the highest offer for Xabi was only 13m from Juve and then of course Martin Oneil dug his heels in and asked for close to 20m for Barry so nothing made sense then.

23. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't begrudge anyone having a different opinion and am really not trying to shut anyone down, I was just giving an honest assessment from the club's perspective. Sorry if my language seems that way.

As it happens I now have a sneaky suspicion that a new attacker (20-30million range) may well be brought in if we can quickly find buyers for Wilson and Kent. I don't think they passed Klopp's preseason inspection.

It's a pity as Wilson, in particular, is a great talent but a year as a midfielder has meant he has struggled coming back to play as a forward, I also suspect that his lack of strength (he's constantly coming off second best in any contact) may mean that Klopp won't rely on him to play.

I get all that and don't necessarily disagree with it but my counterpoints are

• the type of player that can make an immediate difference to our attack is going to cost. both in fee and wage, the type of money we as a club tend to reserve for starting players. Ings and Solanke were almost 40 million combined, Ibe 15 million. We are talking serious cheddar for someone who is of the quality of Salah and Mane and is willing to sit on the bench potentially for most of the season.
    • The stadium costs, the 50 million new training ground, the many improved contracts and the huge spending last summer has meant that the club are hesitant to buy big on a player who is not seen as a guaranteed success by either the manager or scouting department.
    • Klopp is a manager who does not like to rotate attackers, when a forward is on form he does not like to disrupt that and when they are not inform he tends to have faith that their quality will come through. This is why Salah rarely comes of because he has faith that he will score and the big difference in Mane last season. Last season he started played 36 league games, starting 35 of them and scored his best ever tally for us, 22 goals. 28 and 26 starts in his previous two seasons in the league for us resulted in 10 and 13 league goals.
    • Salah, Firminio and hopefully Mane soon are all on pretty big incentivized contracts. That is how we have been able to hold onto them despite the fact that PSG, Barca, Juventus, City, United and Real would all kill for players of their quality. These contracts include appearance, goal, assist and win bonuses. Bringing in a fourth player of their quality means one or more starts earning less and it upsets the applecart.
    I see a full back as a necessity signing this window and am genuinely surprised we've not gone after Sessegnon or Tierney, given both are available, fairly reasonable in price, Ryan an actual hardcore Liverpool fan who can play both postions on the left hand side and the other being more than willing to make the step up and bide his time.

And as I said, it is possible that Klopp needed time to make up his mind on Wilson and has decided to sell and reinvest the money on someone else. But Klopp needed this month to find that out rather than allow a very talented matchwinning player leave the club. I still have faith in the player, but I'm not sure Klopp does.

Guy was made of glass. This was apparant in the previous seasons before we bought him. He was a starter for Roma for 5 seasons and only managed 147 appearances, Adam Lallana in five seasons with us has played 155 and sometimes Adam has been dropped due to better players being ahead of him.

Wignaldum can player anywhere. He a true Dutch player, I'd have faith in him playing as a false no9 no problem.

bayern is god and Wingtips1 repped this.
  24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That doesn't have to be the case. 4 players for 3 spots means each player starts 75% of matches and subs on for the other 25%. Those numbers only go up with injuries, suspensions and internationals. There is plenty of playing time for 4 top class forwards.

Wingtips1, Suss and speker repped this.
  25. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep , I've thought pretty much the same. Wilson seems too easily brushed off the ball and that's not gonna hack it v prem league players.