Skillfull, Hopefully Interesting Talents: The Summer 19 Transfer Forum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Feb 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Something like this. As agent filled rumours fly.

Lille president says Liverpool have made contact with agent of Nicolas Pepe amid summer scramble for prolific Ivorian winger

Lille president Gerard Lopez says Liverpool have made contact with Nicolas Pepe's agent over a potential summer move. The Ivorian winger scored 22 goals in Ligue 1 last season.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...esident-confirms-European-champions-move.html

2. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Keep Manure and Barca in the medias focus as we build up the team.

'My god, you are so tall!': Jurgen Klopp surprised at height of new signing Sepp van den Berg as Liverpool boss returns to Melwood to start pre-season

Jurgen Klopp has returned to Liverpool's training base at Melwood as the club begin their preparations for another assault at the Premier League title. Sixteen players will also return on Saturday.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...kroom-staff-Liverpool-prepare-pre-season.html

jeffcoop repped this.
  3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's nice to have a transfer window free of stress. Klopp has my full support and trust, especially now that we've won something to get that monkey off our backs.

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #679 usscouse, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Another young un for Klopp. He's building the team for the future without paying silly money for the Pogbas and Neymers of the footy world.

Liverpool 'beat off competition from Real Madrid and PSG to sign Fulham starlet Harvey Elliott' after teen rejects chance to stay at Craven Cottage

Liverpool are closing in on a deal to sign Fulham teenager Harvey Elliott this summer after the 16-year-old rejected the chance to stay at the Championship outfit.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...d-PSG-sign-Fulham-starlet-Harvey-Elliott.html

Suss and Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think its convincing Mbappe that prevents this from happening.

6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Another nice piece of business. He has just turned 16 and has already made his Premier League debut. It will be really exciting in 3 or 4 years when some of these kids start breaking through.

Signing the best 15-17 year olds in the world is way less expensive than signing the best 20 somethings.

7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

'tis but it's also a gamble, a lot of those kids never make it at top level.

EruditeHobo, augie and Wingtips1 repped this.
  8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    True, but the club are getting better and better at identifying the right players. Even if he never proves to be good enough for Liverpool, we can make a profit off him if he’s good enough to play top flight football. Even clubs in the Championship now pay several million for players.

If one out of every five of these kids turns out to be the business, it’s a massive success. This summer we could have spent ridiculous amounts of money on De Ligt or Jao Felix who are 19. Instead we have signed two players who are slightly younger who have the chance to develop into that level of player.

newterp, Wingtips1 and bayern is god repped this.
  9. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Exactly.

Like taking a punt on a penny stock which could transform into the next bluechip company.

We paid what 1.3 mil for Sepp VDB...His giant frame alone is worth that much even if he cant kick a ball to save his life.The Vision of the Manager and Edwards shines through the Philosophy(& Logic) and its safe to say FSG have completely banished the Ghosts of the Hicks and Gillett Era.

That said I Will be pissed as hell if We dont sign one of Mbappe/Griezmann/Pepe this summer:p:D:cool:

Wingtips1 repped this.
  10. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing, just tempering it with a bit of caution. Some of these promising youngsters end up playing at Havant and Waterlooville and Boreham Wood.

It's likely a good piece of business in this case. He could be a star someday or perhaps a "run of the mill" premier league footballer. Either way would be good.

Suss repped this.
  11. Upper Ninety

Upper Ninety Member

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    See Harry Wilson he is doing everything right as young player and more than likely will be sold. Si that makes me wonder what a young gun has to do to merrit first team. TAA got his chance and surpassed his growing pains but somehow Brewster has been moved up to first team after a year of injury which baffles me. So hard to say what exactly klopp and co looks for but given the track record of who have become stars under him I'll give him shadow of the doubt

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    by that logic I'm worth about 5mill.

LiverpoolFanatic and imasyko repped this.
  13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Harry Wilson had a pretty good season at Derby County in the Championship. He wasn’t even Derby’s best player. Trent (and by all accounts, Brewster) have more talent. You have to be a truly special talent to get game time for the Champions of Europe. Our starting eleven feature some of the best players in the world. If we sell Wilson for over 20 million that is a success for Liverpool and a success for Wilson because he will have himself a good career at a Premier League club.

For now he is still at Liverpool and might get a chance to impress in preseason, so you never know.

idreamofpikas and SamScouse repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    signing a kid is always a total crap shoot. prior to TAA the last kid to come up through each level with us was .... Stevie.

LiverpoolFanatic and delaynomo repped this.
  15. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The standard for making it at Liverpool is being one of the best in the world. The probability of someone like Trent coming through the academy as a child is very low. That’s why it’s such a great story.

Our new strategy seems like a good one. Scout teenagers from around Europe and buy the best ones, even if it costs of a few million. The two we signed this summer had already played top flight football by the time they were 15. They have already shown that they have to potential to one day play for Liverpool.

The club was apparently a long term admirer of both Mbappe and De Ligt. If Liverpool would have made a move for those players when they were 15 we could have been in business. By the time they were 18 it was too late.

SamScouse repped this.
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Suss repped this.
  17. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #692 delaynomo, Jul 8, 2019
    We’ve bought a lot of the “best” kids in Europe for years. As well as South America and Africa. Almost all of them don’t make it. It’s more like a 1 in 50+ shot. So pay 1m x 50 for kids or 50m for the finished article. Or put whatever numbers you want on it, but chances are the odds are priced into the market.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Brewster is super interesting. Hardly anyone has seen him play, but the buzz around him is reminding people of Owen and Fowler. Klopp goes out of his way to praise him which I can’t remember him doing with any other youngster. He must look really special in training.

He’s the one I’m most exited to see in preseason. He will get plenty of chances with all of our main forwards still away.

19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We bought Sterling for 1 million from QPR and sold him for 50 million. That likely funded all the other ones combined, and then some.

I could be wrong, but I think now we are after a higher caliber youngster. The reports are that we are beating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid to these signings.

soccershaggy and usscouse repped this.
  20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    all rumours though isn't it at this stage. other than the young CB ....

21. Upper Ninety

Upper Ninety Member

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    #696 Upper Ninety, Jul 8, 2019
    My point being is he went out on loan and performed well to earn a chance here when pretty much every other player on loan stalls. Brewster had a splash of success before he blew his leg out for an entire year. Maybe he will be back to an unphased self. I am just saying is why even loan players if a successful individual season doesn't get some credit when they come back. Maybe it will. It just seems Wilson is just passing on when I think we could use his depth instead of wasting 60 million on Nicolas Pepe. He will need to prove himself in pre-season still just like anyone else. I just felt he did enough last year in Pre-Season to show some worth and he got loaned out. That of course is just my opinion.

22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or we could sell Wilson for 20 million and put it towards the 60 million for Nicolas Pepe. There is no way we would have been able to get that much for him had he not been a success on loan. So in that sense, the loan worked out very well.

23. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But Pepe is 24 and only had one great season, and while he has scored a lot of goals 9 of them last season were penalties. At the same age Wilson is at now Pepe had scored less and played at a slightly lower standard (Ligue 2). At international level Zaha completly outshines Pepe for the Ivory Coast, even Villa's Kodjia has looked more impressive in the African Nations tournament.

There is a reason both the Lille chairman and Pepe's agent have been desperatly trying to drum up interest in the player for last few months and its due the price tag and the wage the player wants. There is also a reason are scouting department, who have had nothing but success these last few years, have made it clear we are not interested. If Pepe is the real deal he's likely still going to be available for a similar price in January.

Right now we are not in desperate need for an attacker, certainly not for the overall cost Pepe would be. The spot that Wilson/Pepe take is not going to be starting most games, they'd be in contention with the likes of Origi, Ox, Shaq, Brewster and Keita for offering rest for the rare times the frong three are rested.

EruditeHobo and imasyko repped this.
  24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elliot is being spoken of in the same terms as Jadon Sancho for what it’s worth.

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #700 SamScouse, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    as long as nobody is calling him "the next Jadon Sancho" .... ")

he must be regarded as very high potential - he’ll start training with the first-team immediately, not the Academy players who are his age.

not that he's actually signed yet of course. :rolleyes: