Skillfull, Hopefully Interesting Talents: The Summer 19 Transfer Forum

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Feb 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes, I forgot that he signed with Dortmund. Womp womp. Still, someone of that ilk. Obviously Pepe would be a great signing but there are other winger/forwards out there that could fit (Ismaila Sarr is another exciting young talent).

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Erik Durm is available for free from a relegated team, knows Klopp, can play both fullback spots, and would likely accept his status as a backup...

dcc134 repped this.
  3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We have one of the two best CB's under 21 in the world on our roster - Joe Gomez (MdL the other).
    Before the leg break, people were speaking of Gomez in such glowing terms. And judging by his couple appearances for us and England since then, he's going to re-establish himself as that force to be reckoned with.

We don't need to spunk down the GDP of Antigua to sign de Ligt, a player that, while undoubtedly talented and possessing the potential to be among the best in the world in several years, has played in 6 club matches and 2 internationals of real consequence in his life - and he's certainly not been perfect in those matches.

If it were a 45m fee with him on 120k/week, yeah, do it. But several players in the squad have apparently told Klopp/management what they think of a 19 year old kid that was bossed by Lucas Moura coming in and being the highest player on the team - and we've pulled back our interest as a result.

LiverpoolFanatic and imasyko repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agree completely, tips.

(Minor point - Gomez is 22)

Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/club/re...s-summer-transfer-window-in-five-key-elements
    Quoting myself here as (for once) this ESPN actually lays out pretty well the plethora of problems at real at the moment and just further reinforces why we need to press our advantage while we have a window where we are truly among the top 4 destinations in the world for a player.

Ol red nose didn't sign a single soul after their title in 00-01 in which they won the league by 10 points. The next year they were third and 10 points off the pace. He never again had a summer where he didn't buy somebody that would ultimately be part of their top 15 players - we MUST follow suit and viciously upgrade personnel, even if it means it's just that little bit harder for Brewster to break through this year.

6. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why on earth would he want to leave?

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Paul Joyce on Dejan Lovren:

If the club is willing to listen to offers for Lovren they must be looking at other centerbacks.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    or ... between Virgil, Matip. Joe and upcoming yoots - plus Fab in a pinch - they think we're covered.

sounds risky if that's the case though.

9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don’t think that would be smart considering that Matip and Gomez have been injured a lot and none of the youth centerbacks are even close to being ready. Putting Fabinho at centerback weakens our midfield.

We need 4 quality centerbacks so we if allow Lovren to leave there needs to be someone coming in.

SamScouse repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep ... this Lovren stuff is likely the usual media BS - he seems to be very happy at LFC.

otoh as 4th-choice CB, he'll hardly see the pitch next season unless a couple of the others get crocked at the same time, so he might want to move to ensure he stays on the Croatia NT radar -- and / or get one last big transfer payday / wage.

I hope he stays !!

11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If we can sign Umtiti for the same price as we sell Lovren, I'm all in.

12. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool appear to be moving ahead of Tottenham and Manchester United in the bid for Portuguese midfielder Bruno Fernandes.

Liverpool are planning to start their summer spending on Fiorentina attacker Federico Chiesa, according to reports in Italy.

Liverpool have reportedly made an initial enquiry over the availability of Cardiff City goalkeeper Neil Etheridge.

Maxwel Cornet has welcomed talk of Liverpool being interested in snapping him up this summer, with the Lyon forward flattered to be generating such speculation.

Memphis Depay may have sparked a lot of rumours linking him with a move to Liverpool this summer, but the club are not interested in signing the Dutchman.

Liverpool have been given a huge boost in their hopes of landing Lyon midfielder Nabil Fekir after president of the Ligue 1 side Jean-Michel Aulas gave his blessing for the French international to leave the club.

Liverpool and Chelsea target David Neres is top of Atletico Madrid's transfer wishlist this summer, according to reports.

Liverpool have pulled out of the race to sign Werder Bremen's Max Kruse on a free transfer.

EruditeHobo and imasyko repped this.
  13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much Werner talk lately, seems that's likely off as well? He seems to want Bayern but if they are waiting for a free next summer I wonder if he could be convinced by a move to LFC this summer.

Or maybe LFC have just given up hope of signing him, maybe I missed that somewhere. He seems a great fit overall!

14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Due to the club's excellent signings these last few seasons clubs wanting to sell their players are claiming we are interested to try to get other teams to gazump us. Some clubs are too lazy to rely on their own scouting and will just target who they think we are after.

Most of these french rumours seem pretty baseless to me. I know we did scout Depay at some point before christmas but the other players we have been linked to seem to be more about the clubs trying to sell them before they have to negotiate new deals with them (French clubs have a pretty limited wage structure, thats why all the talent moves on fairly quickly).

Saying that if no one has bid for Fekir by August I can see us making a bid as he's only 1 year left on his contract, but I don't think we will be overspending on anyone this summer, it will be more sensible squad additions like Shaqiri

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  16. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wingtips1 repped this.
  19. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think we're going to be disappointed a bit overall with our activity this summer. I will be pretty disappointed at least if we don't make 1 big signing for our forward group...we really do need someone that can be considered elite, or near so, to play when our front three are injured or need a rest. I'm a big fan of the togetherness of the squad, but they've seen some mileage the last two seasons and it's not sustainable at this clip without proper support.

Just my two cents based on the recent news that Klopp only wants to 'slightly tweak' his squad this summer.

20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #520 EruditeHobo, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    It would be a mistake to not make 1 big signing in attack and try to figure out fullback depth through the market... to me that's the bare minimum.

They've made 170M in CL alone the last 2 seasons. One bad injury in attack could undo the title push, two injuries in attack could undo the whole season, and those front 3 have been ridden incredibly hard the last 3 seasons so this is not at all impossible. Ox, Brewster, as to their ability to represent/perform as "new signings"... well, I always hate this because it smacks of a Wenger-ian excuse for a shit transfer window rather than logical squad management/transfer fund useage.

And this is the bare, bare minimum. Because this still only represents getting clear upgrades on departing players. They should really be after a star versatile attacker, a hard working and still creative mid, fullback depth on both sides, and solid backup keeper. Because we know what City is going to be doing, strengthening all over however possible. They are after Joao Felix for 100M euros, they aren't happy sitting back saying "well KDB being around all season is like a new signing!"

That's who LFC are competing with.

21. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don’t think there is any reason to believe we won’t make a big signing. The club have learned from the past that there is no reason to make your plans public. You have more leverage in negotiation when you make it appear as if you are not desperate to sign anyone.

Last summer the journalists who are most clued in with the club were telling us that Liverpool were putting their faith in Danny Ward as their goalkeeper. A few days later we signed Allison. Also last summer, we signed Fabinho without a single link to him beforehand.

We learned from the Van Dijk saga. The media reported that we were going to sign him and that only pissed off Southtampton and we were forced to wait to sign him.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, I don't think there is reason to think they won't make a big signing either. There's zero sign of that... they have money, they have the foundation, they have all the swagger you could hope for as a prem club right now.

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Now reports are saying Klopp wants Pepe but the scouts are saying 'no' and that Salah is now being a baby and is 'hurt' by the links to Pepe.

Really is silly season.

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Klopp even sober yet?

25. Suss